Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 07:42 PM

258 posts, read 674,431 times

Advertisements

My 12 year old daughter has been wearing glasses for the past 6 years and she has been asking for contacts of the past 6 months. Any ideas about this with regards to safety, care and ease of use? What kind of contact lenses should we go for and what should we avoid? I am not sure if this is the best place to post this, sorry if I have inadvertently posted it in the wrong place. Any help is nightly appreciated. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 10:57 AM

47 posts, read 37,651 times
12, might be a little young yet, however, if she is responsible and able to properly take care of them and wear them according to her eye doctors instructions she should be ok. Improper wearing of contact lenses can cause many serious problems with the worse being blindness, talk to her eye doctor and see what they say.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:15 AM

5,121 posts, read 16,621,863 times
I got contacts when I was 15. Back then, hard lenses were my only option. But I begged my mother for yeeeeears to get me some.

I currently wear daily disposable, soft lenses because I have chronic dry eye & I've had two LASIK procedures on both of my eyes. The lenses my Optometrist prescribed fit my post-LASIK corneas better than other soft, disposable lenses I used to wear, and they help with my dry eye.

I would suggest your talk to her Optometrist and discuss your concerns. Also, it's important to follow-up with annual eye exams to ensure the health of her eyes and not just vision/prescription changes. And I'm not a parent, so forgive me if I'm overstepping, but you could include her in on the financial responsibility of contact lenses if they're more expensive than glasses. That way, she might realize contacts are a privilege.

If you do decide to get her contact lenses, your Optometrist should fit her with a trial pair to see how her vision adapts to them. I order my disposable lenses online as they tend to be cheaper than ordering through the Optometrist.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I got contacts when I was 15. Back then, hard lenses were my only option. But I begged my mother for yeeeeears to get me some.

I currently wear daily disposable, soft lenses because I have chronic dry eye & I've had two LASIK procedures on both of my eyes. The lenses my Optometrist prescribed fit my post-LASIK corneas better than other soft, disposable lenses I used to wear, and they help with my dry eye.

I would suggest your talk to her Optometrist and discuss your concerns. Also, it's important to follow-up with annual eye exams to ensure the health of her eyes and not just vision/prescription changes. And I'm not a parent, so forgive me if I'm overstepping, but you could include her in on the financial responsibility of contact lenses if they're more expensive than glasses. That way, she might realize contacts are a privilege.

If you do decide to get her contact lenses, your Optometrist should fit her with a trial pair to see how her vision adapts to them. I order my disposable lenses online as they tend to be cheaper than ordering through the Optometrist.
thank you, Agilpro and Eggalegga for your replies.
Eggalegga, what exactly are soft lenses ? I know it is dependent on a number of factors but just wanted to get a very rough idea of how much the daily disposable lenses cost. do you stock up for a few months at a time? thanks

Old 01-15-2015, 10:50 AM

5,121 posts, read 16,621,863 times
Soft lenses are more comfortable to wear and by their name, are more pliable than a rigid gas permeable lens. Read about contact lens materials here. I wore hard lenses when I first got contacts, then switched to gas perm since they provided more oxygen/better health for my eyes, then after my LASIK procedures, I got soft, disposable lenses. I needed soft lenses since my corneas were all misshapen after my LASIK surgeries.

Soft disposable lenses are more comfortable than hard or gas perm, but they're more difficult to put in my eyes. Since the lens is so soft, it has a tendency to turn inside out, or stick on my fingertip when trying to put in my eye. Your daughter's optometrist will help her learn how to tell when a lens is inside out & give her hints as to how best put them in her eyes.

Daily disposables are great in that you only wear them for the day then throw them away. No need to buy contact lens soaking solutions. But, they are more expensive since you're replacing them daily. For my chronic dry eye and my post LASIK vision issues, daily disposables were best for me...just not for my budget. LOL

I used to buy my biweekly, disposable, soft, lenses online, but now, I buy my daily disposable soft lenses from a local optical because I get a significant discount using my vision insurance. I had to buy 1 year's worth of lenses all at once to get the discount. I wouldn't advise that for a new lens wearer since you don't know how your daughter will do with contact lenses. The local optical would match the lowest online price I could find, then I applied my insurance discount and saved the most money. But again, had to buy 1 year's worth of lenses all at once.

These are the lenses I've bought before:

Acuvue Daily disposables: 90 day supply $60/box (remember, this is a 3 month supply for one eye....you'll need to buy lenses for BOTH eyes)

Acuvue Oasys bi-weekly disposable: 3 month supply $34/box.

Air Optix brand, Acuvue 2, and Biofinity are others I've worn in the past.

Your daughter could probably get a cheaper lens than I wear since she most likely won't have dry eye issues. Do you know if she has astigmatism? They make contacts for those too, but I think those are not disposable lenses. They're called toric lenses.

I think talking with her Optometrist is the best advice I can offer. Also, I keep a pair of eyeglasses as a back up plan. If anyone sustains an injury to their eye, it's good to have a pair of glasses to wear.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Soft lenses are more comfortable to wear and by their name, are more pliable than a rigid gas permeable lens. Read about contact lens materials here. I wore hard lenses when I first got contacts, then switched to gas perm since they provided more oxygen/better health for my eyes, then after my LASIK procedures, I got soft, disposable lenses. I needed soft lenses since my corneas were all misshapen after my LASIK surgeries.

Soft disposable lenses are more comfortable than hard or gas perm, but they're more difficult to put in my eyes. Since the lens is so soft, it has a tendency to turn inside out, or stick on my fingertip when trying to put in my eye. Your daughter's optometrist will help her learn how to tell when a lens is inside out & give her hints as to how best put them in her eyes.

Daily disposables are great in that you only wear them for the day then throw them away. No need to buy contact lens soaking solutions. But, they are more expensive since you're replacing them daily. For my chronic dry eye and my post LASIK vision issues, daily disposables were best for me...just not for my budget. LOL

I used to buy my biweekly, disposable, soft, lenses online, but now, I buy my daily disposable soft lenses from a local optical because I get a significant discount using my vision insurance. I had to buy 1 year's worth of lenses all at once to get the discount. I wouldn't advise that for a new lens wearer since you don't know how your daughter will do with contact lenses. The local optical would match the lowest online price I could find, then I applied my insurance discount and saved the most money. But again, had to buy 1 year's worth of lenses all at once.

These are the lenses I've bought before:

Acuvue Daily disposables: 90 day supply $60/box (remember, this is a 3 month supply for one eye....you'll need to buy lenses for BOTH eyes)

Acuvue Oasys bi-weekly disposable: 3 month supply $34/box.

Air Optix brand, Acuvue 2, and Biofinity are others I've worn in the past.

Your daughter could probably get a cheaper lens than I wear since she most likely won't have dry eye issues. Do you know if she has astigmatism? They make contacts for those too, but I think those are not disposable lenses. They're called toric lenses.

I think talking with her Optometrist is the best advice I can offer. Also, I keep a pair of eyeglasses as a back up plan. If anyone sustains an injury to their eye, it's good to have a pair of glasses to wear.
Thanks for all the details and the links!

Old 04-13-2015, 05:21 AM

6,411 posts, read 6,308,045 times
I started wearing them when I was 11 or 12.

My only advice is make sure she has a loooong time in the AM to get them in. This took me a while to master. It made me so anxious that I sometimes cried.

I also tore and dropped a lot of them but this is probably less of a concern since most people wear cheaper dailies or weeklies today.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:54 PM

50,438 posts, read 64,253,963 times
Do you know if her particular vision problem will be able to be fixed with contacts? If so, if she approaches wearing them with an open mind, and ability to take care of them, she should be fine. I am old, and I have a love/hate relationship with mine. When I am in a hurry, they take forever to put in, and when I am not, they pop right in.
If someone patiently teachers her to put them in and take them out, and she wants to use them, she will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals