Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 06:01 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

This is a long article but I read some of it and get the hang of it. I will read more later on but wanted to post it here.

Synthroid: Doctors without borders: why you can't trust medical journals anymore at The Medical Dictionary

Well I got down to the section discussing ibuprofen and aspirin and Celebrex and Vioxx...my eyes were getting buggy so I have to stop there.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-08-2017 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 10:29 AM

New America Foundation -- Their Story.

The group that generated the initial link that I posted here:

https://www.newamerica.org/our-story/

Old 12-09-2017, 10:39 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
The website link works just fine.

Amazing people refuse to look at info just because they don't know the website. That thinking perpetuates ignorance.

Marcia Angell, former EIC of the New England Journal of Medicine, has spoken at length and written at least one book about the handshake wink wink relationship between the drug companies and the *respected* medical journals.

If you wish to learn about the subject perhaps Dr. Angell's work will be more to the liking of those who don't want to clink on the link the OP posted. Every doctor who publishes is paid in some way by the pharma company who creates the drug the doctor is supporting. This has been proved again and again.

https://www.amazon.com/Truth-About-D.../dp/0375760946

The Truth About the Drug Companies | by Marcia Angell | The New York Review of Books

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDbQNBla6aU

https://www.wanttoknow.info/truthaboutdrugcompanies

These are the 1st four links that popped up. So yeah.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:30 AM

689 posts, read 973,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
New America Foundation -- Their Story.

The group that generated the initial link that I posted here:

https://www.newamerica.org/our-story/
Jam - thanks for starting this conversation.

Here's another link with a similar message but spells out more directly where/how corporate research has become the biggest 'player' ...

Data check: U.S. government share of basic research funding falls below 50% | Science | AAAS

Old 12-09-2017, 02:10 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
This is a long article but I read some of it and get the hang of it. I will read more later on but wanted to post it here.

Synthroid: Doctors without borders: why you can't trust medical journals anymore at The Medical Dictionary

Well I got down to the section discussing ibuprofen and aspirin and Celebrex and Vioxx...my eyes were getting buggy so I have to stop there.
The article is 14 years old. It expressed a valid criticism, but it is now out of date.

Every medical article published now will include a description of the source of funding (if any) and any potential conflicts of interest of the authors. Note the word potential. It is fine to read an article with the funding in mind, but it is not all right to dismiss the findings based solely on the source of funding.

For example, this study compared two treatments for hypothyroidism. The study medications were provided by a drug company.

Treatment of hypothyroidism with levothyroxine plus liothyronine: a randomized, double-blind, crossover study

"Disclosure: Merck S/A, Brazil, provided Novothyral and Euthyrox capsules. Merck S/A, Brazil, had no role in study design, data analysis and interpretation of data, writing of the manuscript, or decision to submit the manuscript for publication. All authors had and have full access to the study data."

By the way, when you start a new thread it would be helpful for your initial post to be more than a link and a statement that you read part of the link and will post more later. Include something of substance in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Every doctor who publishes is paid in some way by the pharma company who creates the drug the doctor is supporting. This has been proved again and again.
That is absolutely false. For one thing, not every article published about a particular drug "supports" it. Negative findings get published, too.

Much drug research after the initial testing done to get the drug approved is done without industry funding.

https://www.thebalance.com/who-funds...search-2663193

"The pharmaceutical industry is the largest contributor towards funding research, funding over 60 percent. The government contributes to about a third of the costs, with foundations, advocacy organizations and individual donors responsible for the remaining investments."

How would you replace the 60% that is provided by the pharmaceutical industry? Would you be willing to see your federal income tax bill increase in order to do it?

Moderator cut: Don't ask if someone contributes money. Too personal.

Last edited by in_newengland; 12-13-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 12-10-2017, 02:31 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
There are so many sources for health information that conflict with each other even within the same disciplines. One study contradicting the previous, over and over. We forget that knowledge is never complete. It is constantly being built. Because of this I find that reading "all around" about a topic helps me filter out the more bizarre sources or conclusions. I don't read just one source, on study, one school of thought. I read all I can find. Even sources I am pretty sure I won't agree with. You never know just where that thunderbolt of understanding will come from. The more I read about some topic the better I understand it; both the obvious truths and the biased falsehoods. When I come across technical stuff I don't understand, I read further out. Dive into the biology or the chemistry so that my own personal filters are working better.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:37 PM

Everyone needs to make their own conclusions.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:53 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Everyone needs to make their own conclusions.
And conclusions should be based on solid evidence and factual statements.....not hearsay and baseless opinions

Old 12-10-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
And conclusions should be based on solid evidence and factual statements.....not hearsay and baseless opinions
That is right SOLID evidence, good luck on that one.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:42 AM

7,256 posts, read 5,131,727 times
When reading scientific studies, a couple things should be kept in mind:

"Peer review" depends on who is doing the reviewing-- a reviewer solidly entrenched in the "consensus" is having his reputation invalidated if he allows a paper to be published that goes against the consensus. How altruistic do you expect him to be?

It's not bad that drug companies pay for research and then publish the studies that help them out. The problem comes when they don't publish a study that doesn't support their product.

Beware of papers that report "Relative Risk Reduction"-- that's a way of cheating to make a single digit result look like a double digit (more impressive) result. Check the Absolute Risk Reduction....NEJM just reported a study that made the headlines about risk of breast cancer in those using BCP. They reported a "38%" increase in risk. It turns out that they found 58 Ca cases for every 100,000 woman-yrs of BCP compared to only 55/100,000 for non-users. BFD. There's a difference between statistical significance and clinical (ie- practical) significance.

Caveat lector.

If you torture the numbers long enough, you can get them to confess to anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals