Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 11:11 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
My husband was on a pharmaceutical grade statin for about 4 years, then I became very concerned about some, potentially, serious side-effects and researched Red Yeast Rice as an alternative. We went to a holistic MD who advised him on which (reliable) product to take and the proper dose.

It's been about 8 years now and, along with Niacin, Fish Oil and CoQ10, his stats are excellent. His original dose has now been cut in half and he's had zero side-effects. His cardiologist admits that he knows nothing about RYR and doesn't (necessarily) approve but is 'pleased as punch' with the results. He doesn't feel the need to change a thing....

BTW, in case you're wondering, RYR is not a food. It's a capsule
Red yeast rice contains a statin, exactly the same one as in the prescription product lovastatin.

https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-ma...r-study-says#1

Old 06-26-2018, 03:48 PM

689 posts, read 973,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Red yeast rice contains a statin, exactly the same one as in the prescription product lovastatin.

https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-ma...r-study-says#1
For the sake of others on here who may have a sincere, personal interest in this topic - I will engage in your tireless game of ping pong:

Along with 9+ other monacolins, RYR has 6% lovastatin as opposed to (on average) 40% in a daily pharmaceutical dose.

https://prostate.net/articles/lipito...hat-works-best

"Side effects associated with the use of red yeast rice include dizziness, heartburn, gas, and stomach discomfort. Some experts warn that because red yeast rice contains a small amount of statins, they could cause side effects similar to those of statin drugs. However, the available red yeast products and those used in published studies contain low amounts of monacolins."

*Compared to traditional statins that have a history of muscle damage, liver damage, diabetes, cognitive effects and more.

"Unlike statins, which contain a single monacolin, red yeast rice provides a mixture of monacolins, and this combination interacts with the body more readily and is less likely to cause adverse effects, according to Dr. Weil. On his website, Weil notes that he has observed excellent results from patients using red yeast rice.
"

Of course you and your cohorts on here will argue that Harvard-educated Dr. Weil is a quack. So be it. Post away - since CD combat seems to be your (obsessive) hobby, I'm sure you'll come up with multiple rebuttals on this. Meanwhile, my husband is healthy and symptom-free. So are many others we know who have made the switch...

Old 06-26-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
For the sake of others on here who may have a sincere, personal interest in this topic - I will engage in your tireless game of ping pong:

Along with 9+ other monacolins, RYR has 6% lovastatin as opposed to (on average) 40% in a daily pharmaceutical dose.

https://prostate.net/articles/lipito...hat-works-best

"Side effects associated with the use of red yeast rice include dizziness, heartburn, gas, and stomach discomfort. Some experts warn that because red yeast rice contains a small amount of statins, they could cause side effects similar to those of statin drugs. However, the available red yeast products and those used in published studies contain low amounts of monacolins."

*Compared to traditional statins that have a history of muscle damage, liver damage, diabetes, cognitive effects and more.

"Unlike statins, which contain a single monacolin, red yeast rice provides a mixture of monacolins, and this combination interacts with the body more readily and is less likely to cause adverse effects, according to Dr. Weil. On his website, Weil notes that he has observed excellent results from patients using red yeast rice.
"

Of course you and your cohorts on here will argue that Harvard-educated Dr. Weil is a quack. So be it. Post away - since CD combat seems to be your (obsessive) hobby, I'm sure you'll come up with multiple rebuttals on this. Meanwhile, my husband is healthy and symptom-free. So are many others we know who have made the switch...
Lovastatin is still lovastatin, whether you get it from a pill or red yeast rice.

I'll let our readers judge for themselves.

https://www.consumerreports.org/vita...g-cholesterol/

Old 06-26-2018, 06:02 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Layla: Thanks for your thorough info on RYR. I had mentioned that I started taking Policosanol just because, for good measure I guess.

Here's a good overview on it, maybe others are interested in reading too.

How to Use Policosanol to Help Lower Your Cholesterol - Dr. Sam Robbins

My cholesterol is good, LDL could be a little lower but I'm not concerned. J

Old 06-26-2018, 06:15 PM

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/poli...upplements.htm

Old 06-26-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Layla: Thanks for your thorough info on RYR. I had mentioned that I started taking Policosanol just because, for good measure I guess.

Here's a good overview on it, maybe others are interested in reading too.

How to Use Policosanol to Help Lower Your Cholesterol - Dr. Sam Robbins

My cholesterol is good, LDL could be a little lower but I'm not concerned. J
Interesting info Jam. I hadn't heard of this product before but I do know that plant sterols are another very effective alternative. I have a friend who's had very impressive results with this after having many of the (worrisome) textbook side-effects from a pharmaceutical statin.

Do we have a CD thread on statin alternatives?

Old 06-26-2018, 06:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Layla: I never did a thread on statin alternatives, I don't think.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Layla: I never did a thread on statin alternatives, I don't think.
Maybe it's time to start one.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:43 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Maybe it's time to start one.
Maybe you should instead of continuing to hijack the OP's journal regarding HIS personal experiences with statin therapy...

Old 06-27-2018, 03:20 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Well into my first week and I'm not having any problems that I can tell. I'm trying to be mindful of what I eat. I don't always do that well with my diet. So far so good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals