Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:49 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,596,994 times

Advertisements

Good morning! Sorry I missed everyone yesterday. I woke up late and the day didn't stop until after 9:00 last night. So, I'm doing pretty well with my points, exercising and 4 lbs. off thankfully. As I said I really put on weight since our move to NC and wasn't even aware of how much. Coffee with sugar in the raw and soymilk......happy Tuesday everyone! Jeannie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,795,490 times
Good morning Jeannie,NCN,Izzy,Lis,Steve and Diana-

Jeannie that's great-good work.

Yes NCN it's beyond cold, right now is 43 below - cancelling nail appt. Parsnips are similar to carrots-not good raw tho but excellent in soups, stews, roasted.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,935,473 times
Good morning, Jeannie, Diana, Izzy, Judi, NCN, and Lisa.

Okay... story time again: Each week, we let one of the three teens decide on one meal they want for the upcoming week (actually, it's not just for them, it helps us get the menu straight, too, when we're running out of ideas! ) Anyway, my daughter wanted hot dogs in tomato sauce and macaroni and cheese.

The story behind it is: as many of you know, when I was growing up, it was just my mother raising my sister and I for a long portion of my childhood (until I was about 11). I know she often worked two jobs, and we lived in the projects of San Francisco. Just out of high school (back then) often women were just supposed to get into a relationship, and start and raise a family. So, she had no skills or education past high school. Before I was one year old, my father and her split up. He didn't pay child support (I don't know why). So, I remember food stamps (when they were really food stamps) and my mom making whatever she could afford to buy from the store. One of the dishes she made was to cut up hot dogs into 1/4" pieces and fry them until they were light brown. Then she'd add tomato sauce in the pan. With that, she normally did the box macaroni and cheese. If you think about it, it's a very simple and inexpensive dish that did get some protein and carbs into us. It may not sound good, but for a kid, who doesn't like hot dogs and cheese mac?

As I got older (and into bachelorhood), I found myself trying to pinch pennies at time, and that old dish came into my mind. Over the years, I have changed it though. I normally saute some minced garlic in olive oil first. Then I replaced the hot dogs with smoked sausage. So, my kids grew up calling it the same thing, although it's really sausage in tomato sauce with chees mac (my daughter insists I used the boxed one, still).

Anyway, that was dinner, and I wasn't hungry (I rarely am hungry the days I go to the gym). It's not the most nutritious meal, but it's a nice change as we only have it once every 3-4 months.

Breakfast was a small sausage and egg burrito and 1/2 Coke.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,310,177 times
jeannie- That is terrific news. Congratulations on the 4lb. loss. Keep it up

Judi- I have never been in weather that cold. What do you wear when you go out? You must look like the Michelin man with a face mask. Are your knees better?

Steve(did I get that right?)- Kraft mac and cheese out of the box is the best. Another good recipe. Make the mac and cheese, stir in chopped tomatoes and cooked chopped bacon, mix up, pour into a pan(I use a loaf pan b/c it's small) and top with sliced American cheese like Velveeta. Bake until cheese is melted. It is really good. Serve with something green to make it healthier.

NCN- I'm glad you're mechanics know what they are doing. Hickory was nice especially when I needed to work. There are no jobs where I live now.

Good morning everyone. I had Fiber One, skim milk, and fresh strawberries. YUM.

Lunch- I have a refrigerator full of leftovers so I will make a baby plate of anything I can fit on the plate. Probably some rice and veggies.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 AM

Morning Lisa-yes once the barometric went back to 30 they were fine. Dealing with this-just staying in!!!! Thank God for retirement.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 AM

72,345 posts, read 18,164,555 times
Morning Jeannie,Lisa,NCN,Diana,Lacey,

Lisa,that sounds like a delicious breakfast! very creative combined with Steve's

Got this Dannon's DanActive probiotic drink that has blueberries. Suppose to strengthen the immune system. Started taking a few in the afternoon.
Maybe it's great for the mornings too

Going out to do my walking exercise this morning

Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,370,352 times
Good evening, food journal addicts!

I was too tiered to log on again yesterday evening. My girlie movie evening with my cousin was great. We got fresh fruit already peeled and in cubes in small boxes and took it with us into the theater. So no softdrinks or popcorn but I had pineapple and strawberries. Very yummie.
Afterwards we went to an Asian restaurant and I had some fried Chinese noodles with veggies and chicken breast.

Today I started my step classes again. It was great. After doing some exercises at home over the last days I felt quite fit and could rush through the 60 mins without problems.

Breakfast (9:30 a.m.): half a cup of milk with 1 handful of cinnamon cereal
Lunch (1:30 p.m.): 4 chicken nuggets, potatoe slices and white cabbage baked in the oven with a dill sauce
Dinner (6 p.m.): 1 slice of w/w bread with cream cheese + 3 chicken nuggets
Snack after step aerobi class: chocolate croissant.

See you tomorrow!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:12 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,370,352 times
Steve, I love that kind of food. It's easy and it's prepared pretty fast. We have maccaroni with sausage and tomatoe sauce about once a month and everybody loves it, especially DS!

Jeannie, 4lbs in such a short time, wow, that's great!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:35 PM

72,345 posts, read 18,164,555 times
Lunch

Chinese stir fried chicken with broccoli
Brown Rice
Iced tea

Old 01-13-2009, 03:42 PM

Dinner-leftover hunks of beef n veggies from last night, creamed corn for Mr. L, spinach salad for me.

Lunch was 1% cottage ch, avocado, garlic, spinach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals