Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

Look just south of The Village - south of Lover's Lane along E. University between Greenville Avenue and Skillman - streets are Birchbrook, Danbury, Sandhurst, Amesbury, etc. There are new complexes, old complexes (well-kept and spacious with dens and fireplaces), converted condos, newer condos, townhouses and some recently renovated complexes. Two complexes have recently been sold to developers who will probably build something new - there were 15-20 offers on both of those properties.

Anyhow, a great area between Park Cities and Lakewood/M-Streets near Central Market, DART (free shuttle bus or you can walk), Katy Trail extension soon under construction to White Rock Lake (a few blocks east), many SMU staff and some students - lots of long-time tenants plus new arrivals - and it's in Blue Ribbon, Exemplary Stonewall Jackson Elementary zone. It's a couple of minutes to get on to Central Expressway or Northwest Highway.

Here's a map - I am not necessarily recommending this complex but it has good reviews:

Spanish Steppes Apartments map with ratings and reviews and other nearby apartments. Other Dallas apartments also reviewed at ApartmentRatings.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:01 PM

16 posts, read 22,653 times
The office location is over on Spring Valley Rd, if that helps. Not sure about the areas thoughs. So, I should look at Plano, McKinney and Coppell. Uptown, from what I can gather, seems outside my price range at this point, but I have a starting point.

What about areas like Mesquite?

What is the DART?

Sorry, I'm a pain, I know, but I have to plan ahead!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:03 PM

....and what about Garland, Addison, Mesquite, and Irving?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:13 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Not Mesquite if you will be working on Spring Valley Road. However you can look at Richardson, Addison, Carrollton. Traffic can be incredibly frustrating here, so live near your job.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 PM

613 posts, read 1,054,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious0223 View Post
The office location is over on Spring Valley Rd, if that helps. Not sure about the areas thoughs. So, I should look at Plano, McKinney and Coppell. Uptown, from what I can gather, seems outside my price range at this point, but I have a starting point.

What about areas like Mesquite?

What is the DART?

Sorry, I'm a pain, I know, but I have to plan ahead!
The dart is the transit system (in the east we call it the train remember u'll be in dallas they have crazy names for things). I heard Mesquite is nice but its further out. It depends on what you want the further out you go the longer the commute just dont look on the map dallas is huge so its further than you think. The closer to the city you might pay more but will cut down on your commute so it kinda balances out

Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 PM

I agree with living near the job and the commute argument, but I also don't want to sacrifice a safe neighborhood for the sake of a commute either. Oh, the stress of research!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:02 PM

122 posts, read 349,106 times
There are tons of apartments where you will be working. But a lot of them are pretty sketchy since you said a relatively safe neighborhood. I mean they do not bother me at all because I have been around much worse but they are trying to clean that area up. That is right where Dallas and Richardson come together. I would suggest Richardson. Or if you not not mine the area in Northeast Dallas, there are hundreds of complexes for relatively cheap. Just some are not the greatest in the world.

I get my haircut over in that area and have been around there most my life. Real familiar with it. My dad also used to work at Texas Instruments, which is right in that area.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:26 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Talking The Rapid Transit System old corny joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
The dart is the transit system (in the east we call it the train remember u'll be in dallas they have crazy names for things).
DART = Dallas Area Rapid Transit. Old joke before Ft.Worth named their system "The T":

Joke: The San Francisco Bay Area rapid transit system is called BART, the Dallas system is called DART, what will the call the new Fort Worth system????

Hey, I'm just passing on this old local funny

Old 06-12-2010, 11:11 PM

Because I refuse to ride a FART, Fort Worth is off the list lol

Old 06-12-2010, 11:51 PM

Okay, commuting shouldn't be TOO much of an issue if I use that DART thing. I found that my job is less than a half a mile from several DART locations (or at least that's what the DART website shows).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas