Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:03 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Blah blah blah...my brother grew up in Texas, went to UT Austin for undergrad, did a Masters in applied physics at UTD (while working in nanotech) and then looked at law school as he wanted to practice IP law.
He didn't want to go to UT Austin and he wanted to go to a top ranked school. Top 20.

Went to University of Minnesota Law, LOVED IT, was recruited both in Minnesota AND in Dallas (as well as other places), and is now working happily (and paid ridiculously well) at the largest IP law firm in the world HERE IN DALLAS. His school got plenty of recognition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I know this is an old thread, but for anyone who is reading it, none of this is accurate.
Oh, really?

Top 2010 Law School Rankings

Do you say anything that's true...ever?

Old 10-09-2010, 10:32 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Oh, really?

Top 2010 Law School Rankings

Do you say anything that's true...ever?

University of Minnesota - ranked #22 - which is not in the Top 20. It's also tied with BU, Emory, and ND, which could make it rank anywhere from 22 to 25.

It has a GPA range of 3.3 to 3.85, and an LSAT range of 160-168.

Sorry whatever education you've gotten hasn't given you the ability to differentiate between 1-20 and 22. But don't you think that, if you're going to level personal attacks and insults against me, you'd be better off not posting a link that directly proves what I was saying?

Last edited by getmeoutofhere; 10-09-2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Blah blah blah...my brother grew up in Texas, went to UT Austin for undergrad, did a Masters in applied physics at UTD (while working in nanotech) and then looked at law school as he wanted to practice IP law.
He didn't want to go to UT Austin and he wanted to go to a top ranked school. Top 20.

Went to University of Minnesota Law, LOVED IT, was recruited both in Minnesota AND in Dallas (as well as other places), and is now working happily (and paid ridiculously well) at the largest IP law firm in the world HERE IN DALLAS. His school got plenty of recognition.

No, your brothers ability to do IP law got plenty of recognition.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:47 AM

269 posts, read 863,419 times
Quote:
In this case it is the Masters in Applied Physics that got him the job, not necessarily the degree from University of Minnesota. Without a science degree, even a JD from Yale wouldn't be likely to get him in the door at a large IP firm. Students with hard science/electrical engineering degrees often don't even have to be law review/top 10% to land IP jobs.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:34 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,231 times
Quote:

After he got that masters in applied physics, all he needed was a law degree from Upstairs College of Law and Hair Design. I'm sure the University of Minnesota is a really great school. It just doesn't have the national name recognition that the OP seems to believe. If you were to ask your brother that, I have a feeling he would agree. I know his boss Tom Melshiemer would.

It's okay. There are very, very few schools that really have deep national respect. Except for the Ivies, Stanford, UCLA, and Vanderbilt have excellent name recognition. All other schools fall short -- including my alma mater. That doesn't mean those schools deserve that respect or lack thereof. It's just reality.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
University of Minnesota - ranked #22 - which is not in the Top 20. It's also tied with BU, Emory, and ND, which could make it rank anywhere from 22 to 25.

It has a GPA range of 3.3 to 3.85, and an LSAT range of 160-168.

Sorry whatever education you've gotten hasn't given you the ability to differentiate between 1-20 and 22. But don't you think that, if you're going to level personal attacks and insults against me, you'd be better off not posting a link that directly proves what I was saying?
I was talking about what you were saying to the other poster about GPAs and LSAT scores. Did you see the reference? Logic is your friend.

When my brother was applying, UM was in the top 20. You do understand those schools shuffle around from year to year, right? In fact, his wife went to Emory and they josh each other about how they switch back and forth in front of each other.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS_Parent View Post
In this case it is the Masters in Applied Physics that got him the job, not necessarily the degree from University of Minnesota. Without a science degree, even a JD from Yale wouldn't be likely to get him in the door at a large IP firm. Students with hard science/electrical engineering degrees often don't even have to be law review/top 10% to land IP jobs.
Honestly, I think it's more that he was published in advanced and original nanotech research more than anything else.
I was just pointing out that at the time he wanted a top 20 school outside Texas and UM was one (at that time - apparently I have to make this point clear).

Last edited by stan4; 10-11-2010 at 01:58 AM..

Old 10-11-2010, 02:06 AM

Btw, this is amusing:

Best Law schools for Criminal law? - Graduate School Forum

Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I was talking about what you were saying to the other poster about GPAs and LSAT scores. Did you see the reference? Logic is your friend.

When my brother was applying, UM was in the top 20. You do understand those schools shuffle around from year to year, right? In fact, his wife went to Emory and they josh each other about how they switch back and forth in front of each other.

No, you weren't. You insulted me and accused me of lying, then posted a link that directly proves what I was saying instead of what you said, and are now trying to cover your ass.

Minnesota hasn't been a T20 school for several years...what it was in the past doesn't really matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas