Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 04:01 PM

22 posts, read 82,408 times

Advertisements

There is a job open in Dallas with my employer, and I am trying to figure out if Dallas is affordable for us. I would be working in Downtown Dallas, and I would really like to limit the commute to 20-25 minutes. I do have flexible starting times, so I can arrive to work at 6:30 or 7:00 and leave mid-afternoon.

We would be looking to rent ($1000-$1200/mo.) or to buy (up to $150,000). We do have a 3rd grade child, and we would like a family-friendly, safe neighborhood. If you have suggestions in a "bad" school district, go ahead and toss them out there as we have considered homeschooling.

We were living in a Baltimore suburb and making ends meet on two salaries, but my spouse lost his job, so things are very tight here, and no relief is in sight with this economy. We are hoping to cut our expenses and move somewhere nice (and warmer!). We are accustomed to heat having lived in Tampa for several years.

I have never been to Dallas, so I do not know where to start looking.

Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 04:10 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
http://www.dallasisd.org/demo/schoolinfo/eszones2009/JacksonStonewall2009.pdf (broken link)

http://www.dallasisd.org/demo/schoolinfo/eszones2009/Lakewood2009.pdf (broken link)

10 minute commute to downtown. You could rent in these areas but would be almost double your budget to buy.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
I echo Lakewooder's suggestion above. Your rental budget will get you into areas that your buying budget won't. I'd rent in Dallas until you have a bigger (or dual) income.

Lakewood area- check zips 75214, 75223, & 75206- offers a pretty, safe, and family centered area with great public schools. Plenty of parks & things to do (for kids and parents) nearby. Housing options will include 1/2 duplexes, apartments, and possibly small cottages. 10-15 minute drive to downtown on surface streets (no highway driving, no toll roads).

You could also look in the Lake Highlands area (75238), which is about 10 minutes farther north (on the opposite side of White Rock Lake from Lakewood). Good public schools & for the most part, very safe. You do need to be selective when looking at apartments in the area as some have crime issues and others don't.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Richardson also has excellent public schools. 150k won't get you much around here but you should be able to rent something nice for your budget. Check out the 75080 zip code. (That's where I live and I love it.)

Richardson is about 10 miles north of downtown Dallas and you can get downtown pretty easily in 20 minutes if you time your departure correctly. I would not go further north than Richardson along 75 or Farmer's Branch/Addison along the Tollroad. I would stay away from the 35 corridor because the traffic there seems worse than the other main north/south roads.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
You can buy in Irving where I live. My husband works downtown and in 20 minutes he make it from breakfast table to his desk. A home for $150K will probably be in the Irving School District -- which is not highly rated. But you can rent (and maybe be lucky and find something to buy) in the North Irving zip code 75063 and is served by good schools in Coppell and CFISD's.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 AM

22 posts, read 82,408 times
Thanks everyone! I looked at these areas, and it looks like we would be able to rent something. I really liked the area near downtown; we like older homes, too. This is why these boards are great - downtown areas can be dicey and I would not have looked there on my own.

Buying may be out of our range for now (at least until my spouse gets a new job), but it is probably smarter to start by renting in a new area. I will list Dallas on my preferred list for my employer.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nontradstudent View Post
Thanks everyone! I looked at these areas, and it looks like we would be able to rent something. I really liked the area near downtown; we like older homes, too. This is why these boards are great - downtown areas can be dicey and I would not have looked there on my own.

Buying may be out of our range for now (at least until my spouse gets a new job), but it is probably smarter to start by renting in a new area. I will list Dallas on my preferred list for my employer.

In a metro area this size that you're not familiar with, renting at first is definitely the way to go. Best of luck!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:52 AM

931 posts, read 2,134,620 times
East Dallas has good public transportation for downtown and lots of nice homes for rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas