Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 11:53 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,000,832 times

Advertisements

I have just learned the Newsweek list is up with my alma mater, Woodrow Wilson High in Lakewood, moving up around 200 places to 422 (usually the list names the top 1300 to 1500 high schools out of approximately 22,000 US high schools).

However, the site is jammed - so I can't confirm or list other schools.

The home page however, still showed Dallas TAG as #1 in the nation and Dallas SEM as #4 in the nation.

At our school (WW) we raised the number of exams taken from 537 last year to 618 this year. College-bound percentage improved to 88%. The class of approximately 250 has already won $8 million in scholarships, according to preliminary figures. We will be offering Pre-IB this fall to incoming ninth graders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 12:43 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,893,589 times
Great! Now can you follow up with the percentage of those tests that were actually passed????

And a class of 250? Seems unusually small. How does that compare to the 9th grade enrollment? Hmmm....

Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 PM

38 posts, read 139,044 times
I wonder why it moved 200 spots?

Old 06-14-2010, 12:51 PM

Newsweek's Wild About Woodrow. And DISD Still Has the Nation's Top High School. - Dallas News - Unfair Park

​The latest Newsweek ranking of Best High Schools in the U.S. of A. is out, and, yet again, The School for the Talented and Gifted at the Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Magnet Center is at the very tippy-top. And it's joined by eight other Dallas schools -- though one's Highland Park, and the other's Lake Highlands (which is Richardson ISD). Irving's North Hills Prep comes in at No. 14.

The Dallas Independent School District's contributions are estimable nonetheless -- especially with the inclusion of Woodrow Wilson, which comes in this year at No. 422. it's still behind the School of Science and Engineering at the Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Magnet Center (No. 4 in all the land), Booker T. Washington School for the Performing and Visual Arts (No. 113), the Judge Barefoot Sanders Magnet Center for Public Service (No. 153), the School of Business and Management (No. 217) and W.T. White (at No. 298). When I told Jim (Schutze-former Woodrow parent) that Woodrow made the list, he asked: "Is that because of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme thing?" Partially, yes.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:58 PM

38 posts, read 139,044 times
Default 2nd try for Woodrow reply

I've got to get my daughter out of Highland Park High...it is not right for her and pressure is too much...

I also have to move due to divorce...would you recommend Woodrow? She does have a couple friends there. I can't really afford private school when college is just two years away.

My son was in Lake HIghlands High....for a short time....it was a bad experience. He said it was very hard to get an education there. Is that true for Woodrow also?

I once heard Woodrow was somewhat unsafe from a parent....years ago...

Lakewood is a nice community....house rentals high

Thanks,
Elyse33

Old 06-14-2010, 01:14 PM

Like LHHS Woodrow has a high percentage of minorities - I believe LHHS is more AA and Woodrow is more Latino - so a huge change from HPHS either way. However, Woodrow is smaller so that might make the difference. Very much like a small town and some folks criticize it for having a top group of mostly (but not all) Lakewood and Stonewall Jackson kids which goes on to Yale, etc while others are dropping out and failing. However, we have increased the percentage going to college to 88%, quite a feat with a large-low income and minority population.

However, with the introduction of IB (we are now one of four Texas candidate schools and expect to be approved after the official campus visit this fall - it's a three year process and we are near the end) the school is now a 'choice school' so that others may transfer in for the program. And the school has been redesigned into a college preparatory school with four academies:

Open House to Unveil New Woodrow Academies - Lakewood, Dallas, TX (http://lakewood-dallas.blackwhiteread.com/view/articles/17450?print=true - broken link)

DISD School Being Redesigned Into College Preparatory Academy - cbs11tv.com (http://cbs11tv.com/business/education/DISD.college.preparatory.2.1355648.html - broken link)

This is being phased in over the next four years, starting this fall.

We've had HP students over the years transfer in for more diversity and to get away from the intense peer pressure - we are much more laid back here. Some in the past paid tuition but that's no longer charged. You will not have to live in the Dallas district to apply but those spots are already gone for this fall's ninth grade pre-IB - not sure how that would work if you move into the district but those students have first priority.

I'm sure it would look 'scary' to an HP person - we laugh about that! No offense...

Old 06-14-2010, 02:40 PM

922 posts, read 1,688,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Great! Now can you follow up with the percentage of those tests that were actually passed????

And a class of 250? Seems unusually small. How does that compare to the 9th grade enrollment? Hmmm....

Old 06-14-2010, 03:58 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,893,589 times
I can't take anything seriously from a publication that would leave "Dazed and Confused" off its list of 13 Best Movies About High School.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:10 PM

Hey I was there in those days and didn't drink or smoke (anything)! Neither did my friends (at least most of them) Drinking age was 18. If anybody was doing anything, the whole school (teachers and parents included) knew all about it before second period. We had some, of course - we now talk about some of the incidents and laugh. Very Mayberry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas