Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
My bad. I certainly didn't desire to offend any of the people in the third tier city of San Antonio. Still, unless you are looking to ride a donkey or buy a Sombrero, there just ain't many places to buy stuff in San Antonio. I can think of a few Walmarts and Sams Clubs about the area. For cripes sake, does San Antonio even have a mall?
How sad and ignorant, I'm sure people in LA and New York think the same thing about Dallas. "Dallas, isn't that flyover country?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 09:46 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
How sad and ignorant, I'm sure people in LA and New York think the same thing about Dallas. "Dallas, isn't that flyover country?"
Excuse me? If people in Kansas know to drive south to shop at Dallas, then certainly there must be a lot of shopping somewhere in the vicinity. But let me say this in giving San Antonio its due. If we ever go to war, then living amongst the plentiful military bases there will be a safe place to be.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Obviously you have a bone to pick with Hispanic people and culture. A little ignorant are we? Donkeys and sombreros? I moved from MA to San Antonio by choice. Part of the reason I did not choose Dallas because it was just plain flat, ugly and isolated. Obviously SA provided more employment opportunities for the OP his family and the decision has been made. SA is closer to the hills, the beach, and all other major Texas cities. Dallas is closer to...Oklahoma.
I don't have anything against Hispanic people or their culture. Riding a donkey and wearing a Sombero isn't any less honorable than riding a horse and wearing a cowboy hat and boots. I'm just letting the visitor know that San Antonio is thick with Hispanic culture. Perhaps he or she will like that or they won't. Me? I don't like it, but that is just me.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Quote:
Excuse me? If people in Kansas know to drive south to shop at Dallas, then certainly there must be a lot of shopping somewhere in the vicinity. But let me say this in giving San Antonio its due. If we ever go to war, then living amongst the plentiful military bases there will be a safe place to be.
No one in Kansas drives to Dallas to shop, that is laughable, they shop at Country Club Plaza which predates Highland Park Village by eight years and is much larger. The farthest people might drive to Dallas to shop is southern Oklahoma, west central Texas, east Texas and Louisiana. Don't make daft statements.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
No one in Kansas drives to Dallas to shop, that is laughable, they shop at Country Club Plaza which predates Highland Park Village by eight years and is much larger. The farthest people might drive to Dallas to shop is southern Oklahoma, west central Texas, east Texas and Louisiana. Don't make daft statements.
Look, we are talking real shopping here. The kind I'm talking about caused my aunt and uncle living and working on a farm in Kansas to either to drive to Chicago or to drive to Dallas. Most of the time they chose to drive to Dallas.
We aren't talking about the kinds of Mickey Mouse shopping that people in Kansas City and in Houston tend to do. We are talking big league shopping done in big time commercial shopping districts!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:47 AM

307 posts, read 1,097,000 times
Move to San Antonio, at least until I get a job here in Dallas. Then it doesn't matter

Old 09-09-2010, 07:18 AM

436 posts, read 1,613,529 times
Quote:
For cripes sake, does San Antonio even have a mall?
um, yes.

sometimes we get tired of wearing sombreros and ride our donkeys to the mall to go shopping here...

Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 AM

509 posts, read 1,261,759 times
I don't understand how these old threads just pop up and people don't bother looking at the date. Usually the OP has no interest in their thread, which to me is obvious because they do not come back to comment on their thread. Well, I guess someone else might find it of some use.

I agree that Dallas and San Antonio are different-which two cities are not? But to whomever reads this out of interest for finding out the differences, please note that there are some blanket statements made in this thread that are more personal opinions than truth. Some can defend quite well their opinions to the point that they really sound like facts, but I hope that if you are really interested in this topic, you can pick up what is an opinion from a fact.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 AM

810 posts, read 1,424,904 times
Quote:
My bad. I certainly didn't desire to offend any of the people in the third tier city of San Antonio. Still, unless you are looking to ride a donkey or buy a Sombrero, there just ain't many places to buy stuff in San Antonio. I can think of a few Walmarts and Sams Clubs about the area. For cripes sake, does San Antonio even have a mall?
No worries, I am not offended and I am not a local in San Antonio. It does not take much to offend a local in San Antonio.

All I am saying is that I have discovered some of the same posers in the SA forum get very defensive and even hostile if they don’t agree with the observations you make about their city that are true.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
If you are looking for a donkey to ride, a Sombrero to wear, and a Mexican restaurant to eat at, all these things can be found in the Dallas area.
I dont know if you noticed, about half of the people who live in the city of Dallas are Hispanic. If you dont like Hispanics, Dallas isnt the place for you either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas