Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:46 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,741 times

Advertisements

OP, went back and read your original post re: schools, etc. I moved last year from zip 75023, border streets of Legacy, Spring Creek, Indep and Custer. This zip feeds to Carlisle Elem and Schimplfinig MS. Other than having to spell the MS name, these schools are highly rated. There are apts in the area, but I cannot speak to what they are like, as we had a house. But it is a great area, and highly diverse; in our neighborhood at the time we had British, Argentina, Romania, Slavia, China, Hong Kong, Middleeast, Netherlands, and India represented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,518 times
If you do end up in a two story house - especially one with a big, open floor plan - one thing many people do wrong is set the upstairs thermostat to a cooler temp than the downstairs thermostat. The upper level should be set at least to the same temp as the downstairs, or better yet a degree or two warmer than the downstairs - this may mean you'll have to set the downstairs zone a degree cooler. It may sound counter-intuitive, but as long as both systems are working properly this setup is the most efficient.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:30 AM

66 posts, read 231,967 times
First thing, when you find a complex that allows you to choose your provider you will find Power to Choose (powertochoose.org) a very helpful resource. I am currently with Champion Energy on 100% renewable fixed rate for 9.6 cents/KwH.
Second, certain area's in Plano seem to be bad for electricity bills. My fiancée lives in Brooks on Preston over top of 3 garages 1brm 865 sqft and in December she was not there for 2 weeks in the billing cycle and we are both very conscientious of our energy usage, her bill was $330! I live in a 1brm 750sqft second floor with vaulted ceilings in Grapevine and I have never had one above $80. It all depends upon the complex that you are living in (obviously).

Last, I agree with Brookside in that it may be prudent to look into a townhome. My mother recently purchased a brand new one for about $120k and her mortgage and HOA all together (they mow, landscape, and shovel snow, etc.) are about $200 more than my current rent. Her electricity bills for a two story, 2 car garage, 2000 sqft home are about $170/mo in Nebraska during the winter.
Unfortunatly, as I do not have kids, I cannot speak to the schools, diversification of area, etc. but was just putting in my 2 cents as to some considerations come 7/16.

Good luck to you and your kids and let us know if you need more help and how it goes!
BigCanada

Old 06-18-2010, 11:49 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
If you can find a place well-shaded by decidious trees that will really cut down on your electric bill - I hope that piece of advice is not wasting your time. And you can find something for less than $1300 in my area.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:15 PM

49 posts, read 120,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Wow - a new member with an attitude who thinks the thread is solely for her. When a topic is posted, the replies are for the benefit of anyone and everyone who read it, not just the OP. I for one, enjoyed the pics. And yes, it might open the eyes of a newcomer who thinks that the only place to live in the Dallas area, is Frisco. There are great alternatives, and no, posting the pics is not a waste of anyone's time. It probably took you at least a minute to think about what you were going to say in the above replay and type it out, versus the 15 seconds it took to look at the pics. You are wasting your own time, as well as ours, with such a rude reply.
ETex2, I may be a new member but I have been reading a lot of the posts on CD for quite some time. More than a year, the same amount of time it appears you have been a member. To post huge pictures with NO guidance or suggestions what so ever seemed rude and inappropriate to ME.

And yes this thread is SOLELY for me, I posted it and I expect genuine feedback. You should have KEPT IT MOVIN to the next thread since clearly you have no valuable feedback/guidance to give.

With that said THANK YOU either way for letting me know to take most of the posts with a grain of salt. This "new member" vs. "sr. member" crap is for the birds and yes a complete waste of time. And since you are calculating, it took me approximately 20.5 seconds to type this and hit send.

I'm sorry to everyone providing very valuable feedback, I digress and won't address this ridiculousness again.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:19 PM

BigCanada, thank you so much for your feedback. It is appreciated.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:22 PM

Lakewooder, thank you I notice lots of trees along the streets, but not necessarily throughout some of the nearby neighborhoods. I will put this on my list of things to consider when looking at more home options.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:30 PM

Can't thank all of you individually, but sincerely to everyone who has / is giving great feedback. THANK YOU. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy lives to help a stranger out. I really am struggling here and I hope to be able to make a decision soon.

Thank you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas