Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,830 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to McKinney from CA. DH is a pool contactor which is almost a non-existant industry in Southern CA these days. I'm in the admin field and wouldn't mind a short commute and liked what I've seen so far about McKinney. My question is how is the swimming pool service and repair industry fairing in the North Dallas communities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Should I be worried that no one has commented? We were hoping to bring our service business to TX and find a slower pace, and become an active part of a friendly community. I lived in Dallas for a few years when I first got out of high school a loooooong time ago and we visited Dallas when my DH served on the IPSSA BORD. We loved the friendly attitude of the people there. Are y'all getting sick of Californians yet?

Do most people who own pools do them theirselves or hire a service tech? Maybe those on the forum that own a swimming pool could give their input.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 PM

225 posts, read 518,753 times
HI CA-sometimes a few posts fall through the cracks. No one has responded most likely because not many of us are sure of how healthy that particular line of work is in the area. Swimming pool expenses probably fall out of the neccessity category for many homeowners and I can imagine that that industry gets tougher with the economic challenges. I would recommend advertising in Frisco around the the Starwood community & such as there might be a need there as well as other luxury home subdivisions if you would like to live in Mckinney.

Since you have lived in Dallas before, it sounds like you have pretty good expectations of what to expect. It sounds like you'd like the way of life around here.....I love it!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Default Thanks for your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kirkpatrick View Post
HI CA-sometimes a few posts fall through the cracks. No one has responded most likely because not many of us are sure of how healthy that particular line of work is in the area. Swimming pool expenses probably fall out of the neccessity category for many homeowners and I can imagine that that industry gets tougher with the economic challenges. I would recommend advertising in Frisco around the the Starwood community & such as there might be a need there as well as other luxury home subdivisions if you would like to live in Mckinney.

Since you have lived in Dallas before, it sounds like you have pretty good expectations of what to expect. It sounds like you'd like the way of life around here.....I love it!

I'm actually really excited about the move and hope it all comes together. We figured that new pool construction would be handicapped as it is here in CA, but are hoping there is still a need for service and repair there. We don't see CA doing anything toward helping the small business climate anytime soon.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:45 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
There are lots of pools here and lots of servicing companies. People out of work often do it themselves. Like everyone else, we have our share of high unemployment.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
I know a lot of people that have cut back on services such as this one, pest control even lawn care in recent months due to the economy. I for one did as well, when I could do this all myself. I am sure the market is out there. He would have to commute a lot into the surrounding Metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: