Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 PM

40,967 posts, read 49,283,992 times

Advertisements

The problem you will have with Coppell is finding a good home under $300k. It can be done but the good ones sell at a premium and very quickly. Many of my Coppell clients sell their existing home, move into temporary housing while they keep an eye out for a home in Coppell that fit their needs. That way they can act quickly with no contingencies when a good one hits the market.

Even in todays slower market, Coppell homes still get multiple offers and many sell before they ever hit the market by word of mouth. The $250-$325k price range is probably the most desired and in highest demand. It's getting where it's difficult to find much decent below $350k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 03:07 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,339,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
With school district being priority #1, you'd look at Highland Park ISD which would give still give your hubby a less than 30 minute reverse commute (And get your kid into the #71 ranked HS in the nation according to US News, Highland Park High). If you can afford it, and want the best (public) schools, get into the colored areas on this map:
http://www.hpisd.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=JiphFbBA%2bIo%3d&tabid=5 7 (broken link)

But then that brings up your other requirement (or is a requirement?), that you have a nice house at $300k or lower (more like $250k as you say). That's not doable for living in Highland Park ISD (might be possible with a condo though) so really you need to find a combo of good school district and home in your price range (and the commute factor). I think Wylie provides a great combo in that regard.

Agreed! HPISD is hands down, best district in the DFW area, top 2-3 in the State of Texas, and always near the top of Newsweek's annual rankings.

There is a fair amount of rental property in HPISD, mainly thanks to Southern Methodist University being located within HPISD's limits. A $250k mortgage + insurance + approx $5,500 in annual property taxes comes to approx $1800-2200 in monthly expenses. There are properties for rent in HPISD that meet this criteria:
4028 Hanover (75205), a 3/2 that is listed at $2275 is the only one in that price range on the MLS, however there are dozens of properties on Craigs List that fall into the range- mostly duplexes, some houses.

It is the BEST public school education you can give your children in DFW- lots of AP & TAG class choices, district mandate that all teachers must get a Master's Degree within first 5 years in HPISD, almost 100% passing rates on all state testing (and kids so smart that teachers don't spend the entire year practice "testing" for TAKS like they do in Plano, McKinney, etc), almost no ESL kids means they come to school already knowing the basics, involved parents who CARE and excpect kids to do homework & excel, etc.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Where are these numbers coming from? Average SAT scores for all Texas college-bound seniors in 2009 was in the high 1400's (on the current 2400 scale).

College-Bound Seniors 2009 - SAT Total Group and State Reports

No need to let non-college kids skew the score down, unless of course, your averages are based on the old scoring system (the old not used anymore 1600 scale) which isn't used anymore.

When 1600 piont scale scores are mentioned, it is just the Math & Critical Reading sections scored. The writing section has only been around a few years and is often left off the total composite score. (see D Magazine's latest issue featuring "Best Suburbs").

Old 06-25-2010, 03:15 PM

871 posts, read 2,693,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Agreed! HPISD is hands down, best district in the DFW area, top 2-3 in the State of Texas, and always near the top of Newsweek's annual rankings.

There is a fair amount of rental property in HPISD, mainly thanks to Southern Methodist University being located within HPISD's limits. A $250k mortgage + insurance + approx $5,500 in annual property taxes comes to approx $1800-2200 in monthly expenses. There are properties for rent in HPISD that meet this criteria:
4028 Hanover (75205), a 3/2 that is listed at $2275 is the only one in that price range on the MLS, however there are dozens of properties on Craigs List that fall into the range- mostly duplexes, some houses.

It is the BEST public school education you can give your children in DFW- lots of AP & TAG class choices, district mandate that all teachers must get a Master's Degree within first 5 years in HPISD, almost 100% passing rates on all state testing (and kids so smart that teachers don't spend the entire year practice "testing" for TAKS like they do in Plano, McKinney, etc), almost no ESL kids means they come to school already knowing the basics, involved parents who CARE and excpect kids to do homework & excel, etc.
Are there condo's (or duplexes or townhomes) to buy in the $300k or less range in Highland Park ISD territory? Being in Highland Park ISD is like being in a private school system, I keep hearing things about it all the time (I work in Highland Park ISD territory).

Old 06-25-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Are there condo's (or duplexes or townhomes) to buy in the $300k or less range in Highland Park ISD territory? Being in Highland Park ISD is like being in a private school system, I keep hearing things about it all the time (I work in Highland Park ISD territory).

Yes! There are currently 32 showing in the MLS at $300k and under. Most are located near the High School (Between Lovers Lane & University, along the eastern side of the Tollroad) and the Middle School/ SMU. Several older condo complexes are located along Abbott (backs up to the Katy Trail) in Highland Park.

They range from newer (like 6006 Auburndale Avenue #D, a 2/2.5 listed at $259.5k that was built in 1985) to charming older small condo complexes (4558 Roland Avenue #B, a 1945 2/2 with hardwoods & beautiful moldings & updated kitchen/ baths, that leases in the $1600/mo range). Condo dues for both of those listings are in the $300/month range- not unreasonable, depending on what's included.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:33 PM

8 posts, read 22,516 times
Wow...I am overwhelmed with how kind you all have been in providing websites, statistics, your experiences, and opinions. Thank you to all of you who have replied. It sounds like the general consensus is Coppell from the areas we listed. I also saw Wylie mentioned a couple of time and we can look into that town as well. Please keep the information coming. I will have a busy couple of months getting us ready for the big move. Thanks again!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 PM

8 posts, read 22,516 times
Highland Park ISD sounds great. I have heard about HP and would love to live there. We drove around the beautiful neighborhoods the last time we were in TX. I really don't want to downsize from where we are currently living, but might have to consider being as though the schools are so amazing.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:34 AM

14 posts, read 127,017 times
Quote:
Where are these numbers coming from? Average SAT scores for all Texas college-bound seniors in 2009 was in the high 1400's (on the current 2400 scale).

College-Bound Seniors 2009 - SAT Total Group and State Reports

No need to let non-college kids skew the score down, unless of course, your averages are based on the old scoring system (the old not used anymore 1600 scale) which isn't used anymore.

Yes it is. One of my students just got her SAT results back and asked me if 1135 was good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas