Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:22 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
I don't know where it is on yours.Since you came into this thread and starting whining about the posts and asking for a moderator,I was just wondering if somehow you were being forced to read this thread against your will.I am perfectly calm,btw.Don't confuse being willing to defend my statements as being agitated or angry,especially since you have no way of knowing my state of mind.All CD needs is another amateur wannabe psychologist
Hey lifer,
I'm just playing with you, no hard feelings

Old 07-06-2010, 03:22 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Back in LA, people love Austin but dont think highly of the rest of Texas.

Most people view Dallas and Texas in general, not necesarily as racist, but as socially backward (overwhelmingly religious, fusion of chuch and state, overly conservative, ant-gay, cowboy, etc.). I think people freak out because Texas is such a red state. What people dont understand is that the big cities in Texas arent socially conservative at all, but that Texas is extremely economically conservative. Smaller Texas towns and cities tend to be very conservative all the way around.

Frankly I have seen elements of that in smaller cities in Texas, but not really in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, Houston, or San Antonio areas.
What exactly does backward mean? My main criticism of a lot of these "liberals" is that they talk about how open minded they are and "live and let live" and all that self-righteous nonsense, but they pass judgements on large groups of people who because a lot of them may not think the same way they think. They look down on people who are extremely religious and may be anti-abortion. Freedom of speech and opinion seems to go out the door with a lot of those liberals when that comes up.

Honestly, i'm tired of both sides of the spectrum though, conservatives do things that irritate the hell out of me too.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:43 AM

95 posts, read 211,738 times
OK, so I am born and raised in Texas. However, I grew up in Corpus Christi which is about 70% LA and about 40% spanish-only LA at that. (I'm white). I think it's because of that fact that a person's race is not as "noticeable" there, but once I moved to Dallas (been here 20 years), I was SHOCKED at what it was like. SHOCKED! I thought maybe I was just lucky to grow up in a more accepting part of Texas, but then I realized that Corpus must have been an oasis, because most of Texas was EVEN WORSE than Dallas. Then I moved to LA for 2 years and thought.....aaaaahhhhhh.......this is how it should be.
I am married to a black man and obviously, our kids are mixed. We live in Richardson, so reallly healthy mix of people in the schools for a suburb. About 2% of the students are of mixed race I would estimate. Very rarely do I get anyone to be blatantly racist to my face (when I do it is mostly black women), but I think most people around here are subconciously racist.....like they have a moment of shock when they first meet my husband, or when we are walking in an establishment together, they automatically assume we are not together, that kind of thing. It's a "I like (fill in race) people just fine, as long as my kid doesn't marry one, and my grandbabies have the same color skin as I do". That kind of thing. It's almost worse because you never know what you are dealing with.
I used to get great kudos, awards, promotions at every job I ever had until I got married and started putting pictures up of my husband and kids at my desk like any normal person would. I'm just sayin'.....

Old 07-06-2010, 08:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
My daughter went to school in HEB ISD in the Mid-Cities
her school had/has all ethnic groups--she played volleyball and basketball and both teams has players of varying abilities and varying skin colors--

when her 8th grade season started -- one of the parents who was new to the school and I guess the district as well and was African American was complaining in the stands at how the coach--female--was prejudiced against HER daughter--she was not letting her play enough when her daughter was so good because she just had a "thing" against blacks--that it was obvious--that she was going to the principal and tell the truth and lay it out...that no one was going to take advantage of her daughter like that...

well--those of us in the stands who happen to know the coach--which that parent obviously did not--were just laughing our socks off SILENTLY--of course--cutting our eyes at each other and keeping count--no one wanted to ruin the surprise--
finally after the game when the coach went into the stands and picked up her baby from her husband--the woman finally got a clue and shut up
the coach was married to one of the blackest guys I have seen and had two obviously mixed-race children-- at that time--think they had a third later--so she definitely was not racist...

point--don't assume--makes an ass out of you and me--as the old saying goes...

Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btheferrett View Post
I am married to a black man and obviously, our kids are mixed. We live in Richardson, so reallly healthy mix of people in the schools for a suburb. About 2% of the students are of mixed race I would estimate. Very rarely do I get anyone to be blatantly racist to my face (when I do it is mostly black women), but I think most people around here are subconciously racist.....like they have a moment of shock when they first meet my husband, or when we are walking in an establishment together, they automatically assume we are not together, that kind of thing. It's a "I like (fill in race) people just fine, as long as my kid doesn't marry one, and my grandbabies have the same color skin as I do". That kind of thing. It's almost worse because you never know what you are dealing with.
I used to get great kudos, awards, promotions at every job I ever had until I got married and started putting pictures up of my husband and kids at my desk like any normal person would. I'm just sayin'.....
Hmm...I live in Richardson so it is hard not to be offended to be lumped in with "most people."

Personally I do not care if a couple is mixed-race or not. And it's pretty common around here.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:41 AM

37 posts, read 55,519 times
One sad thing I notice about any threads having to do with racism is WHO is being deemed racist. It seems that only white people are allowed to be termed racist. I am half Filipino half white. I can't count how many times I've been called slurs like flip, cracker, chinc, gringo, weddo by black and hispanics people. I get less insults from whites but I guess it's acceptable for minorities to be racist. The minority population tends to be the first group to complain of racism but doesn't seem to mind exhibiting it. I once had a black lady tell me I wasn't bi-racial at a diversity training class because I wasn't half black!!! She was corrected by the instructor but she still stuck by her assumption.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
yes--some people have what I consider a mistaken idea that people in other ethnic groups get a free pass regarding racism and showing prejudice...that it is impossible for someone in a "minority" group to BE racist or discriminate against people in any other racial class...
But making a HUGE generality like this
The minority population tends to be the first group to complain of racism but doesn't seem to mind exhibiting it.
is not helpful either--
that is no more 100% true than saying all Anglos are racist---

Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
I moved to Texas (while school-aged) from California. I got a lot more racist crap slung at me in Cali than I ever did in school in Texas.

Mind-boggling, I know.

People who talk sh*t about Texas don't know too much about this place.

I was on rotation in Hawaii in 2005, and a couple of freaks from the East Coast I was working with decided to tell me all about how Texas was horrible because they hate gay people. Never mind that they've never been here...they were true experts! And never mind that I have lived a happy, peaceful 20 years here in Texas as a gay brown person...they were not to be swayed into believing anything else!!!

Morons.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,107 times
calling people a racist is too commonly used around here. You cant make a post mentioning a race without someone calling you a racist. And the people calling others racist know nothing about the person. I think people get too defensive on here and make a lot of accusations when they probably shouldnt.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfromphilly1 View Post
One sad thing I notice about any threads having to do with racism is WHO is being deemed racist. It seems that only white people are allowed to be termed racist. I am half Filipino half white. I can't count how many times I've been called slurs like flip, cracker, chinc, gringo, weddo by black and hispanics people. I get less insults from whites but I guess it's acceptable for minorities to be racist. The minority population tends to be the first group to complain of racism but doesn't seem to mind exhibiting it. I once had a black lady tell me I wasn't bi-racial at a diversity training class because I wasn't half black!!! She was corrected by the instructor but she still stuck by her assumption.
The reason it seems that way is because historically whites have been the aggressors and the ones best equipped to institutionalize their racism and oppress other races. That is why it seems less acceptable for whites to be racist than minorities. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas