Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I dont' get you, MM. Galveston is great and as a native Houstonian, I have a lot of fond memories there but it is 53 miles out of town. More if you live in Katy, the Woodlands, etc. I wouldn't think that most Houstonians are hanging out there a few nights a week or every weekend, so I don't get your comparison.

I am sure we could all list some great festivals and such that happen an hour or so away from whatever city you pin on a map. Can't we just say that both cities, Houston & Dallas, have good and bad things about them? Why does one have to trump the other in every category?

Yes! What about Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie? That's 23 miles closer to Dallas than Galeveston is to Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
EXACTLY!!!! I've got many friends here in the Dallas area that grew up in Houston and most still have family there as well as many friends in Houston. Bring up Galveston to any of them and most of them will tell you it has been a few years since they have even been over the bridge. Unless they have a specific reason to go they just don't. I'll be in Houston on Friday for the weekend. I'll have all of Friday afternoon & evening, Saturday afternoon and evening most of Sunday till I fly back on Sunday evening. Will we be going to Galveston? NO! Heck, I was in Galveston back in September. Probably been there more recently than 90% of the people that live in the Greater Houston area. LOL!!!

You sure do get down to Houston a lot don't you?

Weren't you just down there a month or so ago?

Seems like you should know the place better than you do...

I, on the other hand lived there for 5 years...4 of those years in Northwest Houston off 1960 in the Champions area & the other year in Chinatown on the Southwest side off of Beechnut.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-25-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 01:53 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
I dont' get you, MM. Galveston is great and as a native Houstonian, I have a lot of fond memories there but it is 53 miles out of town. More if you live in Katy, the Woodlands, etc. I wouldn't think that most Houstonians are hanging out there a few nights a week or every weekend, so I don't get your comparison.

I am sure we could all list some great festivals and such that happen an hour or so away from whatever city you pin on a map. Can't we just say that both cities, Houston & Dallas, have good and bad things about them? Why does one have to trump the other in every category?
Yeah, we can, but what's the fun in that?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The Cajun influence is waaay more prominent in Houston than Dallas (long before Katrina).

If you can't see that by having lived in Houston you must not be very culturally in tune with your city.

Houston is a large sprawling city just like D/FW. Someone who lives in Fort Worth might not have been to Dallas in eons either because its so far.

Galveston is less than 30 minutes from Southeast Houston. I enjoyed going to the beach several times every Summer when I lived in Houston & even when I didn't live in Houston.

Hell, it takes over an hour just to get across the Metroplex.

Actually, it's 31 miles from downtown Dallas to downtown Fort Worth. It takes 30 minutes to get across the metroplex. From the heart of central Houston, it is at least 10 miles further to Galveston.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yes! What about Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie? That's 23 miles closer to Dallas than Galeveston is to Houston

I even had teachers in high school that would give us extra credit points if we went to Scarborough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You sure do get down to Houston a lot don't you?

Weren't you just down there a month or so ago?

Seems like you should know the place better than you do...

I, on the other hand lived there for 5 years...4 of those years in Northwest Houston off 1960 in the Champions area & the other year in Chinatown on the Southwest side off of Beechnut.
So????? What's it to you. My hubby races down there (as well as other locations around) and kid has to be down there for a competition and I've got longtime family friends that live there. Did they put up a gate barring anyone from Dallas from going to Houston....... I'll be there this week and then again the end of February for a race.

As much as you claim to know about Dallas and the metroplex you sure don't really know THAT much about it.

I never said I "HATED" Houston. I just prefer Dallas over Houston. We all know how much you hate Dallas.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:27 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Actually, it's 31 miles from downtown Dallas to downtown Fort Worth. It takes 30 minutes to get across the metroplex. From the heart of central Houston, it is at least 10 miles further to Galveston.

Drove to Downtown Ft Worth twice last weekend. From my spot in a far northeast burb of Dallas to downtown FTW took just about an hour. Actually, the first trip took 58 minutes from garage to parking at the convention center. Second trip took about 64 minutes from garage to hotel in downtown FTW on Main St.

Last September on a Sunday afternoon drove from the race track southwest of Houston (MSR) off of 288 to Galveston on the Seawall. From pulling out of the racetrack parking to the hotel valet on the Seawall took a little over an hour. About an hour and 15 minutes or so. Did not go thru downtown Houston at all to get there and there was very little traffic.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Oh hell no its not 30 minute across the Metroplex. From Downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth is not the whole Metroplex, in fact, that's just a small part of it.

I Mapquested from Rockwall to Saginaw & its over an hour WITHOUT traffic.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Drove to Downtown Ft Worth twice last weekend. From my spot in a far northeast burb of Dallas to downtown FTW took just about an hour. Actually, the first trip took 58 minutes from garage to parking at the convention center. Second trip took about 64 minutes from garage to hotel in downtown FTW on Main St.

Last September on a Sunday afternoon drove from the race track southwest of Houston (MSR) off of 288 to Galveston on the Seawall. From pulling out of the racetrack parking to the hotel valet on the Seawall took a little over an hour. About an hour and 15 minutes or so. Did not go thru downtown Houston at all to get there and there was very little traffic.
According to Clarence its 30 minutes to cross the Metroplex yet you said it took you an hour & gave him a thumbs up for that statement?

There is some slight discrepancy going on there.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
I dont' get you, MM. Galveston is great and as a native Houstonian, I have a lot of fond memories there but it is 53 miles out of town.
I love Galveston but it's really not Houston (which I also love to visit -- but hey I'm a proud Dallasite and my mission in life is to tease them).

As jennifw points out it's almost as easy (or maybe easier) to hop on Southwest to New Orleans for Mardi Gras as it is to drive to the one in Galveston - from Houston even. Getting stuck on that causeway and the Gulf Freeway is not fun...regardless of what you 'mapquest' Matt.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM

333 posts, read 639,049 times
Let me just say, i hate driving anywhere in the metroplex because nothing takes you under 30, driving the tollway from pgbt to 35e will take over 30 min
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas