Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I agree with a lot of the above post however I don't think Dallas is as baptist bible banger as some people make it out to be. Also, Dallas is a lot more midwestern/southwestern feeling than Deep South. Houston has a lot more of a Gulf Coast/ Deep South feel than Dallas.
I agree with a lot of what he had to say too, but I also disagreed with that point. The predominat religion in Dallas is Catholicism by number of adherants even though protestant Christianity has a noticable presence here. I am also liberal and not big into church and I have had no problems in any way living here. Nobody has ever really asked me about my religion or my political beliefs. That is probably because Im not an "in-your-face" type of person. If I went around pushing my beliefs in peoples faces, I imagine I would get some sort of push back. But people here have never been pushy on me either.

The other thing is that I dont feel that Dallas feels southern. To me Memphis, Birmingham, Jackson, and the area around Atlanta feel very southern. Dallas doesnt feel like that. Dallas doesnt really feel like anything. It has a mix of Midwestern/Southern/Mexican vibes to it. Houston feels more southern to me even though it is also more international.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
There are only about three really big Baptist churches left in Dallas as far as I know - First, Wilshire and Park Cities... Wilshire is very moderate and left the conference...

Old 02-03-2011, 05:17 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
There are only about three really big Baptist churches left in Dallas as far as I know - First, Wilshire and Park Cities... Wilshire is very moderate and left the conference...
The Potter's House.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:25 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm an unbiased observer as I don't live in either city but spent time living in both cities.

RESTAURANTS - Tie - Dallas has more fine dining but Houston has more eclectic and unique restaurants.

ENTERTAINMENT - TIE - I really don't see how either city trumps the other in this area. The are essentially the same city with regard to entertainment options.

SHOPPING - Dallas - Dallas is superior. There is shopping everywhere and the volume of stores seems to be greater in Dallas.

ECONOMY/WORK - TIE - Both have strong economies. Dallas has a more diversified job market but Houston has a greater number of white collar??? higher paying jobs.

WEATHER - HOUSTON - Easy choice. Dallas has the worst of both worlds. It has hot humid summers and cold windy winters. Houston has bad summers but the rest of the year is nice.

AESTHETICS - Houston - Dallas is definitely cleaner but it's also flat and has no natural beauty or terrain. It's just a city out in a flat prairie with nothing around. Houston has a more coastal flavor and is more green. I think Houston has a nicer looking skyline as well.

PEOPLE - Houston - The Christian Right/Evangelical presence is fairly prominent in Dallas and it has more of a Southern feel as it is close to Oklahoma and Arkansas. Houston has a more multicultural feel to it with more African Americans and Hispanics.

LOCATION - HOUSTON - At least Houston is close to New Orleans and San Antonio. Dallas is not close to any fun cities unless you consider Oklahoma City, Little Rock and Shreveport fun cities. Dallas also has colder winters as a result of its more northern location.

Schools - DALLAS - the public schools in Dallas trump Houston. The overall quality of schools in Dallas beats Houston.

Lower Crime - DALLAS - Dallas really doesn't have many run down areas. The police seem to be more aggressive and have a bigger presence in Dallas too

Big City Feel - HOUSTON - Houston has a more multicultural feel. The Texas accent is less prominent in Houston. Houston seems to have more transplants. The culture is less Cowboy/Southern in Houston too.

More Potential for Growth and Prosperity - DALLAS - Dallas is on the rise and their very pro-business atmosphere and reduced red tape enables the city to continue to proper.
Nice, but I would have gave the Aesthetics to DFW and more potential for Growth and Prosperity to Houston....btw I've always seen DFW as the more White collar city

Old 02-03-2011, 05:29 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
The Potter's House.
The majority of the members in theses churches are black. They have over 1,000 members in each church. (These churches are very close to each other.)

Friendship West Baptist Church

Insipring body of Christ Church (IBOC)

Full Gospel Tabernacle

I don't have a picture of this church

Old 02-03-2011, 05:35 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
St. John's Baptist Church is another big one with over 1,000 members, but it's in Grand Prairie, though close to Dallas city limits.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
I was told TD Jakes is going to build a new in in Ft.Worth.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I was told TD Jakes is going to build a new in in Ft.Worth.
They have churches all over the area now, but the main church will be in Dallas.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
St. John's Baptist Church is another big one with over 1,000 members, but it's in Grand Prairie, though close to Dallas city limits.
There's a St. John right up the street from my house.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:06 AM

443 posts, read 1,567,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
That might seem true to some who don't live in town. People who only see those areas often complain that Dallas is all freeways, big box stores, malls and that there are no trees.

The 'snob crowd' is generally found on either side of Preston from HP all the way north to the exurbs. That is only a small part of "Dallas". East Dallas is extremely friendly and the folks in Oak Cliff seem to me to be even more friendly. South Dallas is very friendly to those who don't immediately shun them. Oak Lawn is generally friendly but you tend to have some of that "Golden Corridor" crowd mixed in - same for Uptown. Areas with the most natives are friendly because that's the way we were raised. It was THE most important thing to remember about being a Texan.

I would agree that Montrose might feel a little more urban because I think Houston is way ahead on innovative town homes. However, if you think about it, Oak Lawn and Turtle Creek have some of those with mid-rises in the middle.

Dallas is very bohemian in parts of Old East Dallas, Oak Lawn, Design District, North Oak Cliff, Southside/Cedars (Lee Harvey's being the headquarters), Deep Ellum/Expo Park, Little Forest Hills - quite a few areas. It's really astounding how this crowd sort of morphs together. I didn't realize it so much until I got on Facebook and saw who gets invited to what and who is friends with whom...many less than six degrees of separation! Bands, artists, foodies and literary types are the glue.

The worst part about the weather in Houston - except the humidity of course, is the street flooding that happens during rainstorms. I got stuck in several horrible traffic jams when I lived there. Once I rolled down my window because I was afraid the car was going to overheat just sitting there. A jeep came from the opposite direction and thoroughly splashed me sitting in my car seat...
Btw, I disagree, read a few of Lakewooders comments and you'll see why. Lakewood has it's share of snobbiness as well as other sides of Dallas, if you want to see a side of Dallas that is as friendly as houston in general, try Fort Worth. It's just impossible for some people to admit Dallas may not win in all regards, I didn't say everyone was a snob.

Frisco has that snobbiness factor so I picked an area of Frisco that wasn't as much that way. All areas have their trends, Houston's trend is clearly more friendly than Dallas, period. But thats really picking out of the same barrel. They're both MUCH friendlier than..say...Boston. And I love Boston, I'm not terribly friendly myself. Lakewooder gets so caught up trying to prove that anyone who moves to Collin County is making a dreadful mistake that he/she tends to disregard anything that is said from N of LBJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas