Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 12:50 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codytravers View Post
For sure. Unfortunately for Houston, the # of highrises doesn't always translate into active street life. I'll take more people on the street over a bunch of towering skyscrapers anyday. Although having both would be ideal, it seems to me like the most active, pedestrian parts of Dallas have low to mid-rise buildings. Not sure why/how this is the case.
Where is the pedestrian street level activity in Dallas? I usually go to Fort Worth for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I certainly don't think the Dallas boho areas I named look sterile! You must be thinking of the burbs. Another detraction to Houston street life is that many streets don't have sidewalks, just bar ditches to help with the drainage. You have to walk in the street, even in some parts of Montrose.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:19 PM

229 posts, read 606,806 times
I usually see a lot of people around where I live in Uptown. I've been to downtown FW; it was OK but not as awesome as some people try to make it out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Where is the pedestrian street level activity in Dallas? I usually go to Fort Worth for that.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I certainly don't think the Dallas boho areas I named look sterile! You must be thinking of the burbs. Another detraction to Houston street life is that many streets don't have sidewalks, just bar ditches to help with the drainage. You have to walk in the street, even in some parts of Montrose.
Houston has 345 miles of dedicated bicycle lanes & paths. There is also a skate park in front of downtown. Houston has more green space & urban parks than Dallas.

Houston Bikeway Program

I see sidewalks & bike paths here.

Bike path under construction in the Heights area near downtown.

Bike path going through the heart of downtown.

Crossing the Buffalo Bayou near downtown.

Going underneath I-45 next to downtown

What does Dallas have?

Old 01-24-2011, 02:13 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
I hope you don't think Dallas doesn't have bike/jogging trails and paths throughout the city. That would show that you know very little about Dallas.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I hope you don't think Dallas doesn't have bike/jogging trails and paths throughout the city. That would show that you know very little about Dallas.
Oh I know for a fact Dallas has bike lanes, but does it have 345 miles of them?

Most of the ones I've seen are around White Rock Lake & South Dallas.

Are there any in downtown proper like Houston?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,534,750 times
I was in Downtown Dallas on Saturday night right in the heart of Main Street and the place was CROWDED. We had to wait 45 minutes to get a table at our restaurant. We then went to City Tavern and I couldn't even find a table. I don't go downtown often, but everytime I do I am surprised at how much livelier it was than the time before. The old myth that everybody can't wait to leave downtown after 5:00 p.m. is all but dead unless you haven't been downtown in a few years. There is plenty of foot traffic these days.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:10 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Where in Montrose doyou have to walk on the streets? Houston is full of sidewalks in the Inner Loop, and areas outside the Loop are getting more. Dallas may have it's bohemian areas, but do to zoning, it's like Dallas tries to hide the quirky areas. Houston's are a lot more open.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I am talking about some of the side streets..how am I (or anyone else) trying to hide the quirky areas in Dallas?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I am talking about some of the side streets..how am I (or anyone else) trying to hide the quirky areas in Dallas?
By zoning them to the point where all of Dallas' once quirky neighborhoods are no longer in existence or pushed away for good. Deep Ellum immediately comes to mind.

Even Dallas' top strip club is having a hard time with their liquor license. Its an on going battle with the City of Dallas & club owners. If the city had it their way they'd shut down every night club that serves alcohol or gets called in for noise restriction. At one point & I believe its still a law there is not supposed to be any dancing if there is no dance floor or something totally off the wall like that.

This is why I think Dallas is too conservative socially for being as large of a city as it is.

You just don't see that type of anti "live & let live" attitude down in Houston. Hell, I even see the cops having a good time even though they are doing security over at somewhere like Tan Tan in Chinatown till 3am.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-24-2011 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas