Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 04:22 PM

113 posts, read 113,618 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move from Arizona to the DFW in a few weeks. I was planning on getting an apartment in Addison I've looked at 3 places and decided Addison Apartments at the Park. I'm trying to stay around $800 right now. I'm not moving with a job which I know is bad but I'm hoping with my technical support background I should be able to find something quick.

Does anyone have options of these apartments? I'm moving mainly for opportunities that are in Dallas area for my IT growth. I have around 7k right now saved which isn't much but constantly looking for a new position and putting in profiles and bank or hospitals will help me keep a float. So it's just going to be a single male in his early 30s looking to move back to Dallas. Since I don't know what the apartments likes are in Dallas it would be nice if someone could help. Just need to know about utilities, places to meet young people like me. and maybe go back to school either to farther my education or possibly go for a masters degree someday.

Thanks anyone for the advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 04:45 PM

497 posts, read 696,299 times
Have you checked to make sure an apartment complex will rent to you without a job and only $7k in the bank? That may be your biggest roadblock.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:27 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
The DFW area is the size of Connecticut. Commutes here can be really long if you don't live close to where you work. You might want to wait until you've found a job before deciding where to live.

And I agree that finding a complex that will rent to you with no job (especially in this market) is going to be tough.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:40 PM

Unfortunately I have been trying for about a year now to move without a job and it doesn't work. I also no longer have family over there or know anyone I can stay with. Right now all I can hope for is to stay there and find a job so I can interview. It's been difficult to find a job in another state so I have to physically move there.

As for getting an apartment I might need a co-signer for right now until I can find a job. If I'm there it shouldn't take me longer than a week or 2 to find even a job that will only pay me $15 or find a couple part time positions. Just no one is willing to wait until someone moves out there from experience.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:28 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I would suggest staying in an extended stay hotel until you find a job.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I would suggest staying in an extended stay hotel until you find a job.

It was an idea but I don't know how fast I could get a job. I'm applying for position right now and taking calls but still thinking of getting an apartment for right now and then move to another apartment closer to work within a year.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:33 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
You could also rent a room from someone. a lot of people are doing this.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:37 PM

87 posts, read 95,796 times
My son and his family (wife/3 kids under 7) JUST moved to Mesquite. Son works in Downtown Dallas. Moved from Seattle. (Oak Harbor) for economic reasons.
He scoped out C's List for jobs, placed resumes, received a phone call for interview.
Took a chance (Read: Gamble) and spent $400 on plane ticket.
Got the job.
Sold literally EVERYthing they had on our local Buy Sell Trade pages.
Used the money to:
1.) Secure an apartment sight unseen (help of local input from friends in area who approved of it, by doing drive bys)
2.) Pay for deposits dogs/electricity/fuel to drive there/etc
They did all of this in less than one months time.
They did have the benefit of having a paycheck coming to them from the job he was leaving.
But, they did it.
I miss them.
I wish them well.
But at the same time, it's the way the world is right now. I told them just to come home and we can just all share. Share a home/share the costs of life.. it's what people do in these times.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:14 PM

I'm going to live in a hotel hopefully for 2-3 weeks while I go to interviews for a full time position and also work on getting a part time also. I have enough money for 2-3 months if I can't find a job. But I keep getting calls and emails, I just need to be there to interview then I can start looking for a place to live.

Unfortunately anyone I once knew in Dallas has left and my family lost touch with ppl they knew in Dallas also I while ago. Just going there for a few years before moving elsewhere.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 AM

989 posts, read 2,441,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenm85 View Post
I'm going to live in a hotel hopefully for 2-3 weeks while I go to interviews for a full time position and also work on getting a part time also. I have enough money for 2-3 months if I can't find a job. But I keep getting calls and emails, I just need to be there to interview then I can start looking for a place to live.

Unfortunately anyone I once knew in Dallas has left and my family lost touch with ppl they knew in Dallas also I while ago. Just going there for a few years before moving elsewhere.
Look and see if there are any hostels around here, they are dirt cheap to stay in each night. Also try and save a bit more $$ before coming out here. I'd recommend at least $10k, or as close to that number as you can get.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas