Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,285 times

Advertisements

It looks like my husband's job is going to be relocating us soon to the NW Dallas area. His office will be in Coppell. I have looked online and would love some help deciding which areas to focus on. Obviously looking in Coppell, as well as Flower Mound and SOuthlake (some areas that I have been told to look in). I would love to know which area in this general area is the best for what I am looking for.
Good Schools
Good shopping/restuarants
Good community feel/nice welcoming people
Would love a neighborhood with mature trees and big lots
Looking to spend under $450K

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
All 3 are great areas. You'll get the most for your money in FM, the least in Southlake.

Can't go wrong with any of them. They all have what you're looking for.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,285 times
What about Grapevine? WOuld love any other suggestions as well... THANK YOU!!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:46 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themully5 View Post
What about Grapevine? WOuld love any other suggestions as well... THANK YOU!!
Grapevine has everything you are looking for, and would be an easy drive to Coppell.
City of Grapevine, Texas > Home
Grapevine Colleyville Independent School District

Old 06-12-2010, 07:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
BIG LOTS!!!
most of the homes in Grapevine or in any of these cities mentioned have lots that are .25 acre +/-...that is not really a BIG lot...in fact with the house/sidewarks it is usually pretty crowded and in neighborhood where there are mainly two-story homes--you get almost NO privacy in the backyards from the "overlook" effect...
unless the poster wants to pay the added $$$ for half acre lot s/he is not going to find that many homes with "big lots"...
check out any MLS site and do a search...
Grapevine in particular I found to have smaller lot size than Colleyville or Southlake for homes of similar age/size...
Coppell also seems to have smaller home lots because it seems that I remember some neighborhoods have alleys in the rear which cut into the backyard size...but I could be mistaken about the alleys in Coppell--there are towns in Metroplex besides Dallas that do have them though...
of course if you are coming from "city" living--then even .25 might seem BIG

the "mature trees" varies--depending on the age of the neighborhood and where it was built and the city's restrictions regarding tree destruction...
there are many neighborhoods 20 yrs old--that have mature trees that are not that great because it started in a cotton field or grazing pasture and the trees added were Bradford pears or other cheap ornamentals--
large, older oaks or pecans or magnolias that give real shade are not usually found in newer neighborhoods because they were cut down (if they existed) to build the subdivison...
only lately have cities bought into the idea of protecting native trees from swath-cutting by developers--and even then the developers usually replant with smaller, younger more numerous trees to replace the larger, older mature ones they cut...
they don't replace a 50 yr old oak with a similar tree--but put in 10 or 15 smaller, cheaper trees...along the green belts or do two per front yard

Old 06-12-2010, 09:10 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
for big lots and mature trees...Flower mound or Colleyville would be your best bet.
We had neighbors that recently moved up to FM and they have over 1/2 acre and back up to a nature preserve. The girls scout troop went camping there and from the pictures you would have thought thye were deep in the woods... not just a short hike to the house. VERY pretty.

$450 will get you a nice place in FM.
Whitcha Creek, Brandywine at wellington,Carriage Glenn At Bridlewood,Estates Park Place, Shady point acres, Vinyard, Walden creek,

Coppell is great...but mostly smaller lots and not to many big treed lots. GReat schools and the commute would be EXCELLANT!

For 450k in Grapevine you could probably find a place that has a bigger lot and trees. (just under 1/2 acre)Over by lake Grapevine (off of Dove rd) those neighborhoods have many big mature trees. Even those on the standard .28 lot have more privacy due to the trees. But think they may be older..not sure just know it's a very pretty drive over to the soccer fileds and lake!
Stonewood,

Aslo look in Colleyville for 450k you will houses on 1/2 lots or more. most might be older homes etc...but colleyville has lots of houses on 1/2 acre +
Saddlebrook, Jewel estates, Bettinger place, Reagan estates,Brighton oaks,Brook Meadows Add,Arrington, Van Oaks

Neighborhoods I listed were ones that came up with 1/2+ acre treed lots with homes for sale.
Good luck!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:21 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
You got some good advice already. All areas mentioned are great and very desirable, good schools, easy access to shopping & dining. I'd like to add Keller as a city to explore too. It is just west of Southlake and you can find everything you are looking for there too.

Naima

Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
^
I would have added Keller too...but with all the construction on 114. Getting into Coppell from Keller can be a huge pain! It took me 45 minutes to get to my sisters the other day at 4pm! (that was going 26 and not 114!)
Traffic around Grapevine mills has gotten really bad.

But yes...all criteria would be met. Some very nice wooded 1/2 lots in Keller.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:16 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Just a FYI about Grapevine...

We DO have mature trees in many neighborhoods. I have a HUGE 100-year old live oak cross in my backyard, which is one of the reasons we bought this house! Yes, a previous owner planted those darn Bradford Pears in our front yard. (My other neighbors have live oaks, and I am jealous...) The lots down by the lake have HUGE trees. When you get into the price range that the OP is looking for, you will find the larger lots either out near the lake, or in SW Grapevine near Parr Park. The houses in Parr park area are bigger and newer, while the ones by the lake are generally older, but you will find occasional newer homes. The lake lots that back up to the Corps of Engineers property are VERY sought-after.

Colleyville might have something in that price range. It is definitely worth taking a look. Their lots also tend to be larger.

I would not recommend Keller or Southlake due the the construction right now. After the DFW Connector project is finished in 5 years, then I would recommend them. And yes, IMHO the traffic around Grapevine Mills Mall to get into Flower Mound is awful.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
I would really try and avoid places that will have hubby driving anywhere west on 114. Traffic will be a total nightmare and there's plenty of good places to live near Coppell (northeast Carrollton, Coppell, Flower Mound, Lewisville, Lantana, Double Oak)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas