Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 PM

166 posts, read 376,193 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I'm a 22 year old pilot who currently lives in the far Chicago suburbs. I will be moving to out to the metroplex to fly out of Addison airport late this year. I will be making in the neighborhood of 40k a year to start. Looking for a nice neighborhood with a great young singles scene, good restaurants, nightlife (i'm into the lounge/club scene), shopping, and is safe to walk in. I have been to Dallas before and have a good idea of where these areas are but wanted to hear what you guys have to share. Thanks for the help and i'm defiantly excited about the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Addison is a good area for the preferences you mentioned.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
Uptown, Downtown, Knox-Henderson and Lower Greenville offer the best of what you say you want. Uptown is probably your best choice, but it's also the priciest area. Others may tell you that Addison has what you are looking for, but if you lived there you would find yourself going to the aforementioned neighborhoods more often than staying in Addison. I would live in the core of Dallas and commute to Addison.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:42 PM

166 posts, read 376,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Uptown, Downtown, Knox-Henderson and Lower Greenville offer the best of what you say you want. Uptown is probably your best choice, but it's also the priciest area. Others may tell you that Addison has what you are looking for, but if you lived there you would find yourself going to the aforementioned neighborhoods more often than staying in Addison. I would live in the core of Dallas and commute to Addison.
Yea I kinda figured that myself. Uptown def seems like the neighborhood that would appeal most to me. The drawbacks im thinking of would be traffic, toll fees, and probably significantly pricier. Addison seems very nice too i will mention.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
money does seem to be a factor
40K is not going to go that far in DFW if you expect to have lot of disposible income
you will have to have a car for one thing and I know in Chicago lots of people can get by without one depending on where they live/work

Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Addison has everything for young professionals. People live there and drive downtown, why would you consider anything else? Also, apartments are a bit cheaper there and parking is easier.....shopping, restaurants even work!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I was going to say something about the $40,000 as well. The fun and nicer sections of uptown might put a strain on your budget. I think Addison will offer everything you want and need, and still be within your budget. It is a great location for young professionals.

Nita

Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
plus I think being close to your work is a good point--if you find an apt you like in Addison then you have more time to spend at home vs fighting the traffic

Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQpilot3 View Post
Yea I kinda figured that myself. Uptown def seems like the neighborhood that would appeal most to me. The drawbacks im thinking of would be traffic, toll fees, and probably significantly pricier. Addison seems very nice too i will mention.
Don't give up on the inner city prospect. Between Uptown and your toll road entrance is Oak Lawn, commonly described as the gay area but is more upwardly mobile than gay. And it's got that hot lesbian bar. Rents may be a bit cheaper in Oak Lawn than Uptown, or at least worth investigating. And rent differentials between Oak Lawn and Addison won't be that extreme. Just watch out for the Love Field glide path.

The last time I used the toll road between Uptown and the Belt Line exit for Addison, I think the toll was about a buck and a quarter, one way. And remember, if you're traveling at rush hour you'll be going against the rush direction.

While Addison does have some cool restaurants and bars, you will be traveling more than not for other party locations. More tolls, gas, time....

Old 06-29-2010, 10:30 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
Everything that the above posters have said about Addison is true. However, based on what you said you were looking for I think you will find a whole lot more of it in central Dallas. Consider the Knox-Henderson 'hood just a mile or two north of Uptown. You could find a new construction apartment on Henderson and be within walking distance of at least 20 restaurants and bars in this red-hot part of Dallas (google Park, Barcadia, J. Blacks, Neighborhood Services Tavern, Blue Collar Bar, Slip Inn, Vickery Park, Fireside Pies, Tei-Tei, the Old Monk, Victor Tango, Hibiscus and see if those are the kinds of places that appeal to you). You'd also be close to the bar/club scene on Lower Greenville which is another somewhat different scene. And the Uptown/Downtown bars & clubs are only 10 minutes away. An apartment on or near Henderson should be cheaper than a comparable place in Uptown and probably the same or not much more than Addison. You would have a reverse commute, so traffic is not that big of an issue.

Knox/Henderson Guide on Citysearch®
Belmont Apartments for Rent in Dallas, TX - UDR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas