Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 08:57 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,785,800 times

Advertisements

Looking for any transplants to Dallas, TX from NC....Was it a good move for you....How are you adjusting...Do you wish you had stayed where you moved from...Just curious on your perspective about Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Calling all Dallas Transplants, Calling all Dallas Transplants... Just trying to bump my thread back up.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:42 PM

625 posts, read 1,949,654 times
I'm from Dallas, but went to college in NC. There have been several threads comparing NC to Dallas, if you have any specific questions about differences, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Cost of Living/Taxes/Affordability
Nightlife for 30+ crowd
Do you miss NC?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:12 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,199,191 times
I used to live in Uptown, came from FL, but back now in FL unfortunately. Anyway, for me it was a great move, mostly because I know people there and know the area pretty well. Just like anywhere it is totally different visiting than actually living there. Dallas is a very professional scene compared to FL. It seems like every one in Dallas tries to "label" you somehow, like where you grew up, school, church, sports, etc. The diversity, well culturally at least is great. Dallas is mostly white, black, and mexican though. It's a very fast paced city with lots going on and the younger crowd seems to have alot more "side projects" going on.

Uptown is a very packed place, but it is expected with all the bars, restaurants, stores, etc. Alot of the roads, especially Lemmon Ave. are in very bad condition. That's because all the traffic and the extreme changes in temperature there. There are many conservative, religious types that can talk your head off discussing the Bible to a point where it gets annoying though. Many people I've met there seem to have a real chip on their shoulder, seem to talk down on you even though their lives are pretty dull. It also seems like people in Dallas live in a bubble, even though there's a ton of people there I can't really put a finger on it.

Nightlife is awesome, everything seems neater and much more organized than many other cities I've lived in. People from all over the country move there, the ones that have been there for a while have these long developed cliques which are pretty hard to break into, but are friendly nonetheless.

It's also a pretty transient place, I know a few people who went back to Seattle, Denver, San Diego, Chicago, etc.

Overall I think you'll like it. But like I said it's a huge area with tons of people. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get there.

Last edited by **NoodLes**; 07-02-2010 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 PM

101 posts, read 288,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
I used to live in Uptown, came from FL, but back now in FL unfortunately. Anyway, for me it was a great move, mostly because I know people there and know the area pretty well. Just like anywhere it is totally different visiting than actually living there. Dallas is a very professional scene compared to FL. It seems like every one in Dallas tries to "label" you somehow, like where you grew up, school, church, sports, etc. The diversity, well culturally at least is great. Dallas is mostly white, black, and mexican though. It's a very fast paced city with lots going on and the younger crowd seems to have alot more "side projects" going on.

Uptown is a very packed place, but it is expected with all the bars, restaurants, stores, etc. Alot of the roads, especially Lemmon Ave. are in very bad condition. That's because all the traffic and the extreme changes in temperature there. There are many conservative, religious types that can talk your head off discussing the Bible to a point where it gets annoying though. Many people I've met there seem to have a real chip on their shoulder, seem to talk down on you even though their lives are pretty dull. It also seems like people in Dallas live in a bubble, even though there's a ton of people there I can't really put a finger on it.

Nightlife is awesome, everything seems neater and much more organized than many other cities I've lived in. People from all over the country move there, the ones that have been there for a while have these long developed cliques which are pretty hard to break into, but are friendly nonetheless.

It's also a pretty transient place, I know a few people who went back to Seattle, Denver, San Diego, Chicago, etc.

Overall I think you'll like it. But like I said it's a huge area with tons of people. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get there.
I have heard some of the same things about people in Dallas. I am going to be moving to either Dallas or Houston within the next month. I would be happy to let you know how it goes. I am still sorting through which area I would rather be in. Dallas seems to have more jobs then Houston, which is always a plus, but honestly Houston seems to be the better overall place to live. I am so torn between the two!!!!!!! I have called to follow up on job offers in Dallas and the people act like you owe them something when you call them. However in Houston I got a totally different vibe, a good vibe from Houston, so I guess there is some true to what NoodLes is saying. Lastly in my analysis I have seen that IMO Houston has the better different kinds of houses as well as the better school districts. I could be wrong but to me Dallas doesn't really brag to much about cities as far a good schools go.

As I stated this is just my analysis and I have spent a huge amount of time researching the last couple of weeks.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:54 PM

Where are you moving from and did you find it hard to network since you are out of the state?

Old 07-04-2010, 07:48 AM

Just trying to bump up thread.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:26 AM

101 posts, read 288,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Where are you moving from and did you find it hard to network since you are out of the state?

I am moving from Cleveland, OH. Actually we considered moving to North Carolina but with the decline in jobs it appeared as if Charlotte was getting hit pretty hard. That's we we begin to explore the southwest and came across Texas.

So far I have found it relatively easy to network. I have already established a few connections in Dallas and am looking to establish connections in Houston. However I have to chose between the two cities by this coming Thursday so I have stepped it up a notch this weekend applying for jobs. I have gotten some calls back, but which ever city calls me to schedule an interview first, that's the one I will probably go with.

If i don't get a call back before Thursday then I really don't know which one I will chose. There is something about Houston I am loving, but Dallas seems ok also.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Trust me...Charlotte is the last place you would want to relocate to....As a native.....i can tell you competetion here is super fierce for jobs.......So many people relocated here during the boom years...Charlotte was not able to keep up as far as infrastructure is concerned....Unemployment rate here is ridiculous and just not enough jobs to go around...bottom line....Dunno what Texas's formula is...but obviously it seems to work....No state income tax...low employment/Cost of living is affordable...NC could take notes from Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: