Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2006, 12:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,434 times

Advertisements

My work is relocating me to the Dallas area from L.A. Could someone please let me know if Irving is a nice place to live? How about Richardson and Plano? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 AM

95 posts, read 646,909 times
Hi roxierox,

I'm considering moving to DFW as well and have spent a lot of time looking through these threads. If you use the "search" function in the blue bar at the top of the page, you can search for the areas you're interested in and get a lot of information quickly.

You can also search for all the posts of a message board member. Take a look at what momof2dfw has posted, particularly in the thread "Help me pick a suburb" in the Dallas forum. She recently gave a critique of 50+ areas in that thread which I've found very useful.

Happy hunting!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:49 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
roxierox,

It would depend on where you are working if you are trying to decide between Irving and the Plano/Richardson area. It could be a heck of a commute otherwise. I will say though that if your work is anywhere along the new 190 tollway, George Bush Turnpike, it would be a better commute if you also lived close to it. In other words you could live in Richardson near 190 and work in the Irving/Las Colinas area right by 190 and it would be better. But if there is a traffic tie-up on the cross highways it will back up onto 190. And there are not many off roads to take in case 190 is backed up to go all the way between the two.

Irving is home to Las Colinas. Part of Las Colinas is part of the Carrollton-Farmers Branch school district. So I would be careful there. There are also alot of apartments in that area and some are Section 8 (government handouts). This part of Irving is newer and does have some rather nice areas. The closer you get to Hwy 183 it is going to be alot more older and more apartments. The South side of 183 has more industrial areas.

I like Richardson. There are some very nice areas of Richardson that have the lots w/ trees and creeks and lots of greenbelts. The areas w/ these are SpringPark, Sherrill Park and Canyon Creek. All of these are convienent to Hwy 190 (GBT) and Central Expwy (Hwy 75) making it easy to get to downtown or the airport. Sherrill Park and Canyon Creek both have a golf course in the neighborhood. Lots of walking & bike trails in the area. If you want newer then head on up Renner Rd to the Breckenridge Park area (still VERY close to 190). Breckenridge Park is a very nice large park. There are several neighborhoods in this area and the range is everywhere from the mid 100's to over 1mil. If you want the upper end of this spectrum look at The Hills of Breckenridge. Small gated neighborhood w/ custom homes on large lots, some w/ a creek. The cross streets are Brand & Campbell and I believe there are still some lots for sale in there to build on. This area of Richardson still has new subdivisions going in. Some of these areas are served by the Plano ISD. But the older areas are very nice and well kept and have heard good things about the schools for those areas.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:00 PM

Oh, oops, as for Plano. Plano is HUGE!!! You can live in Plano to the extreme West side of it bordering Lewisville or all the way East mingling in w/ Richardson/Murphy/Lucas. Most of the corporate offices in Plano are up along Legacy on the West side of Plano. You name it you can find it in Plano. But the traffic comes along w/ it. Although being you are coming from LA it might not seem like a lot of traffic to you . It drives me crazy. lol. I don't like it taking 15 minutes just to go a few blocks and thru a red light on every corner. The real estate market in Plano is still saturated. Since Plano was "THE PLACE" everyone wanted to live moving here in the 80's thru the 90's those were the ones that were hardest hit by the fallouts therefore Collin County has one of the highest rates of foreclosures around. I personally would choose Richardson over Plano. It's a little more "grounded" and does not seem to have the changing demographics that can effect Plano.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Relocation

Thanks, everyone, for all of the great feedback. I moved to North Dallas, near the George Bush Turnpike. I am very close to Plano, which is where I work. I love it here.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadler1 View Post
Richardson and Plano are both close to an new indoor golf center opening in three weeks in SE McKinney.
Hmmm, do I smell spam?

Old 02-12-2007, 07:17 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Hmmm, do I smell spam?

I agree....

ex.

Hey, where is a good place to take my girlfirend for Valentine's Day

Answer: "Red Hot and Blue of course, it is close to an new indoor golf center opening in three weeks in SE McKinney."

Is it just me, or does indoor gold seem just a little over the top. I'm not a golfer, but I always thought one of the nice things about golfing would be wandering around the course and breathing the fresh air. Can't imagine what it would be like in a tent with the AC on....

Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 PM

21 posts, read 67,070 times
i hear there is an indoor golf course opening can't to get back and play...did you know there is an indoor golf course opening? lol

Old 02-13-2007, 07:22 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
I recall there being an indoor Putt-Putt in one of the towns where I grew up.... Does that count?

Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 AM

Smile Indoor Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post
I recall there being an indoor Putt-Putt in one of the towns where I grew up.... Does that count?
How can someone play golf indoors? How far can you hit the ball? Is there a sand trap inside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas