Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:05 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Then you were out of town on April 6 & 7th this year.
April 6th
Hi: 54
Lo: 42
w/ a trace of winter precepitation

April 7th
Hi: 44
Lo: 37
w/ a trace of winter precep

This is not the norm but I do remember it well and it was COLD!!!!!!! I was standing in the cemetary at Restland so I was not out in the boonies either. This is not the "norm" but is always possible.
I remember that was opening week when the Rangers played the Red Sox. We originally had our trip planned for that week and had to change it to April 21-24. Good thing we did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBluTopaz View Post
BSL, with all due respect, I have lived here since the sixties and I don't recall any days in the 30's in April. BTW, if you want an alternative view on what is causing the shift in seasons, google : Polar Shift. My daughter's physic's teacher clued us in. It's a much more rational explanation.
Are you talking about Louisville or Dallas?

All I know is in 2003 when I was with the New Albany High School baseball team, we played a game at Louisville Slugger Field and it was miserable. If it wasn't in the 30s, it was with the wind chill added. It was brutal, I remember going back in the tunnel to the clubhouse to try to warm up and get out of the cold wind and it didn't even really help.

Maybe I exaggerated, but it can still get pretty cold early in April around here. March is usually cold too.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthDallas40 View Post
You're going to love our winters here.
Welcome to Big D!
Thanks. I feel a lot better about my decision now. It's not that I'm looking for it to never ever get cold, I just don't want it to be cold off and on for about 5 months out of the year with 3 straight months of pretty much never ending cold like it is here. I'm getting the impression that it really only gets cold maybe 3ish months out of the year in Dallas, and it's not cold all the time, just sometimes. I can deal with that

Old 06-21-2007, 02:33 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBluTopaz View Post
BSL, with all due respect, I have lived here since the sixties and I don't recall any days in the 30's in April.
Besides the days in April of this year that Mom posted earlier, I was able to find these dates from the National Weather Service site showing temps in the 30s, or very close to it, going back 12 years. (records go back to the 19th Century though, for the Dallas area.) All temps are officially taken at DFW Airport, but official temps in Denton or McKinney can vary by as much as 5-7 degrees colder.

April 14, 2004~39 degrees
April 8, 2003~38 degrees
April 9, 2003~34 degrees
April 10, 2003~38 degrees
April 4, 2000~41 degrees (not officially in the 30s but suburbs were)
April 18, 1999~38 degrees
April 11, 1997~37 degrees
April 12, 1997~34 degrees
April 13, 1997~32 degrees
April 14, 1997~35 degrees
April 11, 1995~40 degrees (not officially in the 30s but suburbs were)

Many temps in the mid to upper 40s in April have been recorded at DFW Airport but I didn't list them all, obviously.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:36 PM

38 posts, read 180,305 times
But when you post those, they were probably the low temps. While it may get that low, in spring the temp span is usually 15 to 20 degrees above the low temp. I thought they were referring to the overall temp. It really isn't that cold normally for the whole month. And it certainly isn't cold in comparison to Chicago or even St. Louis.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:45 AM

25 posts, read 86,517 times
I agree with the poster who called the cold weather--episodes. Cold days are covered by the news media like a local catastrophic event. People rush out to buy burlap to wrap up their palm trees. We went swimming on Christmas Day two years ago since it was in the 80's.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asil View Post
I agree with the poster who called the cold weather--episodes. Cold days are covered by the news media like a local catastrophic event. People rush out to buy burlap to wrap up their palm trees. We went swimming on Christmas Day two years ago since it was in the 80's.
lol, good to hear. I'll take that any day over 3-4 straight months of never ending cold!

Old 06-23-2007, 03:20 PM

47 posts, read 250,108 times
My relative from minneapolis thought dallas winters were a joke...he seemed to always walk out with short sleeves while the rest of us had coats.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:07 AM

198 posts, read 508,383 times
It's all relative.
Generally speaking:
If you are from anywhere in the midwest, east coast, or upper great plains then North Texas winters are mild.
If you are from California, Arizona, Nevada or Florida then they are harsh.
You need to look at absolutes and then decide for yourself.
Look at the average daily temps for the winter months.
Look at the average days of sunshine for the winter months.
You'll find both of them to be much higher here than say Ohio, Indiana, or Michigan. Even when its in the 30s during the day its usually sunny. You don't have the days on end of gray skies which can become very depressing. Snow and ice storms happen but they don't stick around long.
It was in the 70s and even hit 80 this weekend so we went for a drive to the country and checked out the lake and hiking trails. It was beautiful and I saw people camping by the lake. Unless you are survivorman try that anywhere in the upper midwest in Feb.
Last March we had 1 day in the 70s, I took a picture of me in shorts with a glass of wine standing outside to send to me sister in Iowa to raz her. The next day it snowed. The day after that it was all gone and back up into the 50s, the day after that it snowed again, and then the day after that it was all gone and back up into the 60. You get wild swings like that here but by and large coming from the upper midwest the winters are very mild.
Regards,
GRHTEX

Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockbuster View Post
My relative from minneapolis thought dallas winters were a joke...he seemed to always walk out with short sleeves while the rest of us had coats.

I've had friends from the Texas Panhandle like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas