Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 07:06 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
And whoever said D/FW is prettier than Houston, I'll give them that. Even though Houston is "greener" (but flatter) than D/FW, it is a lot more industrial looking than D/FW and Atlanta, not to mention the lack of zoning laws in the city of Houston make the city look really random. Dallas looks a bit more "sterile" than Houston.
Don't know about that. The industrial area of Houston is primarily limited to the east side suburbs, not spread all over. IMO, the rest of Houston outside of that specific area is prettier than DFW because of the trees and greenery.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:14 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
If you like Atlanta & East Texas for the beautiful surrounding piney woods & smell of flowers all year, then you would like the northern areas of Houston. The only difference between Atlanta & Houston is hilly terrain versus the flat Gulf Coast...oh & Houston has palm trees!
Since in TX I've only been down to Houston twice, but found the area from Huntsville thru Conroe and The Woodlands absolutely gorgeous terrain. In Houston I didn't see much outside of the interstates so can't comment too readily on that. On my way back to Dallas, I took a detour off the freeway and drove through the Sam Houston National Forest for a while. Again, I felt more at home. Being in a mature southern pine forest soothes something in my soul.

If I had to move to the Houston area, I would definitely consider that side of the metro area.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Since in TX I've only been down to Houston twice, but found the area from Huntsville thru Conroe and The Woodlands absolutely gorgeous terrain. In Houston I didn't see much outside of the interstates so can't comment too readily on that. On my way back to Dallas, I took a detour off the freeway and drove through the Sam Houston National Forest for a while. Again, I felt more at home. Being in a mature southern pine forest soothes something in my soul.

If I had to move to the Houston area, I would definitely consider that side of the metro area.
Huntsville & Conroe are both semi-hilly with woods, but the further south on I-45 you go it starts to become flat around The Woodlands. Other wooded areas of Houston are in Humble, Spring, Cypress, & Tomball. Even right smack dab in the middle of Houston theres Memorial Park, a 1466 acre urban forest with beautiful multi million dollar homes, golf courses, tennis courts, & trails. Sometimes its easy to forget you're right in the middle of the 4th largest US city & not lost in Sherwoood Forest somewhere.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,076 times
Im in the medical field and was thinking about moving to dallas or atlanta. Which city has the better hospitals and education (colleges and universities) institutions?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:21 AM

434 posts, read 1,482,155 times
Default Dallas vs Atlanta -no change to Houston vs Atlanta

well looking at all of the replies I think we can agree that comparing Atlanta to Dallas is comparing apples to oranges. Sounds like Atlanta is more similar to Houston to me.

hmmm. Now what city out there is truly similar to the BIG D?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:30 AM

434 posts, read 1,482,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee alb View Post
Im in the medical field and was thinking about moving to dallas or atlanta. Which city has the better hospitals and education (colleges and universities) institutions?

If you are already in the medical field I think your "best" answer is going to come from your peers probably not this forum.

now here is the opinion of a non medical civilian:

Dallas by far is the best at least for Child birth.
I am a proud parent of 2 Baylor babies

here is a link for 3rd party info on your question
US news ranks the best hospitals in America. Depending on your speciality this may be helpful.

Top American Hospitals – US News Best Hospitals

I also do remember reading another article sometime ago that people in the medical profession here earn salaries as high as people in New York City but the cost of living here is much less.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:46 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Easy:

* Cheap
* New
* Homogeneous
* Big Houses
* Neat
What might top all of these on this list is the quality of the school systems

Old 02-25-2009, 11:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,392 times
everyone is pretty much right except far north dallas. the only thing he said that was accurate was about the basements. he is especially wrong about atlanta being bigger and more spread out. just the opposite is true. the metroplex is much bigger and far more spread out and solid.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
As someone who lives in both DFW and Atlanta. Dallas and Atlanta have more in common. Both are inland cities, arrrangement of the suburbs are similar, large airports, major N/S-E/W interstates, same type of diverse economic base, racial profiles similar, zoning similar, both cities downtowns and midtowns in situated similar positions.

Dallas with trees and a larger black population = Atlanta.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Dallas has trees -- here's a shot from White Rock Lake looking across Lakewood to Downtown:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2876/whiterocklakeskylinemk7.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas