Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,365,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Shopping: We have Lenox/Phipps, Dallas has the Galleria. Contrary to what a previous poster said, the area around Lenox/Phipps is really safe and is very upscale. Atlanta also has Perimeter Mall, North Point Mall, the Vinings area, and Atlantic Station. Dallas has many other options as well. Tie
Great post but I would have to disagree slightly with this one. I think Dallas has the edge ever so slightly. Dallas has more than the galleria. It also has West Village and Northpark Center. Victory Park will also be getting more shopping as the area starts to mature. Let's not forget the main Neiman Marcus is based there as well.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:08 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,365,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsweet View Post
Whoever said the humidity in Atlanta is better than Dallas is wrong. When I was young I lived in Ft. Worth but grew up in Georgia since I was 9 and went to college in Atlanta. Atlanta is MUCH more humid than DFW, no comparison. Dallas probably gets higher temps as Atlanta during the summers tends to stay in the 90s, but would you rather have high temperatures or high humidity??

Traffic in Atlanta is INSANE as well.
yes, this is a common misconception of Dallas. While the Spring starts with humid conditions. As July and August hit, the temps get higher and the air gets dryer. Dalals rarely sees 100 degree weather with over 30% humidity.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:22 PM

79 posts, read 408,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Great post but I would have to disagree slightly with this one. I think Dallas has the edge ever so slightly. Dallas has more than the galleria. It also has West Village and Northpark Center. Victory Park will also be getting more shopping as the area starts to mature. Let's not forget the main Neiman Marcus is based there as well.
Atlanta's building the Streets of Buckhead retail development though, so retail in both cities is pretty much going to be the same. Buckhead: The New Name in Luxury

Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The $800 million Park Lane Place (complete with DART station) will open across from North Park very soon...and let's not forget the Rodeo Drive equivalent of Highland Park Village -- and has anyone mentioned Stanley Korshak?

Old 02-03-2008, 09:30 PM

200 posts, read 630,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
"Hardly any trees in Dallas" ?

I've visited both cities and while I favor Dallas, you guys really don't have as many lush areas full of trees like Atlanta or even St. Louis my hometown. It's also very flat compared to those two cities, but I'm not knocking Dallas by any means. When I visited Dallas it was crazy being able to look down a major road and being able to see a mile down in both directions clearly with no trees or hills blocking the view. I actually thought it was kinda of neat though. Oh well I really do like Dallas and I hope to be moving there for a short while within the next year or two.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 PM

79 posts, read 408,496 times
That's a great picture of Dallas. I have to admit I prefer trees and hills. One cool thing about Atlanta is being able to see many different vantage points of the city from the hills.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:25 PM

200 posts, read 630,711 times
Yea I stay in the Northern Suburbs of STL and we are elevated quite a bit higher than downtown so you can easily see the Arch and all of down town 20 miles away. Which I think is pretty cool especially on the 4th of July!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:43 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsmoore View Post
Yea I stay in the Northern Suburbs of STL and we are elevated quite a bit higher than downtown so you can easily see the Arch and all of down town 20 miles away. Which I think is pretty cool especially on the 4th of July!
I can see the entire downtown Dallas skyline from 20 miles away in several areas. Rockwall and Garland both have several areas that from our suburban life we can see the entire Dallas skyline. Every time we are on our way back home from a hockey game there is one point along 190 in Garland that I can look back and see all of downtown and the old InterFirst Bank building (the green one - I'm old so it is still "InterFirst to me). Then if I kept going and turned back to go even further away and take another turn I can see downtown from there too. In Rockwall coming out of town just before dipping down to the lake you can see all of downtown. Look up at one of the sticky's at the top of the Dallas page for the one of "pics" and you can see some of the pics we have posted. I have this very picture on there.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:11 AM

341 posts, read 1,015,636 times
ATL is a far more physically attractive city and has a better climate than
N.Texas. You can actually have some variation in the weather in the summer - fronts make it to north Georgia in the summer but beginning in late
May until into Oct it's miserble hot and stays hot in N.Texas.
I lived for a year in Fayetville (southern suburb) in the 90s while working for
Delta and found the area very beautiful with a gorgeous Spring with the blossoms and all and you actually get some color in the leaves in the Fall. Nice !
Cost of living between the 2 areas is comparble.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,038,951 times
Physical attributes aside, Dallas has the Texas ethos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas