Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:11 AM

11 posts, read 56,777 times

Advertisements

McKinney ranked No. 5 on Money Magazine's Best Places to Live IN America.
Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: McKinney, TX - from MONEY Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 AM

11 posts, read 56,777 times
Default McKinney ranked No. 5 on Money Magazine's Best Places to Live IN America.

McKinney ranked No. 5 on Money Magazine's Best Places to Live IN America.
Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: McKinney, TX - from MONEY Magazine

Old 08-13-2010, 09:28 AM

16 posts, read 43,848 times
Wow that is a lot. Why spend that much?

Old 08-13-2010, 09:31 AM

I dont go off what magazines ranks. I don't know anyone that lives in Mckinney or that wants to live there. Not dissing Mckinney, I just think that is misleading to people not from here.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:52 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,295,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingly0577 View Post
Good for you. That's how it should be. Trust me I came here with an open mind and immediately I was hit with negative, judgmental and stereotypical comments all of which I never asked a soul about. If my mind wasn't open I would have volunteered to leave my hometown where I had been my whole life and still love. I along with my Wife took a leap of faith and for the most part it has been a success but I am not going to sit here and say there haven't been challenges. But that's life. But I would have appreciated if I was forewarned. That is all I am doing. So to imply that I came here expecting the worse is wrong. The worse was brought to my attention immediately. You have to understand that being from a diffferent area especially up North(watch me get killed just for saying that) that certain things hardly ever come up in a conversation. Nobody cares where you live.
Well I was just saying people in general, I am not discrediting your situation, Its unfortunate that you have to deal with ignorance in your work place. Only time I hear black jokes is actually from black people here but I think they are very light hearted and not to be taken seriously. They seem to be poking fun at stereotypes as many ethnic groups tend to do. I have lived all over, Midwest, Atlanta and now Dallas and each area seems to have this. I think some people on here are taking a defensive stance because the Dallas area tends to pride its self on being multi cultural and inclusive. Personally, If I were black I would be in Atlanta or DC theres just so many cultural options there for blacks. Dallas tends to play more middle of the road to cater to everyone rather than offer a plethora of options for one group and less for others. I think thats what makes the culture different here.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:14 AM

28 posts, read 37,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Well I was just saying people in general, I am not discrediting your situation, Its unfortunate that you have to deal with ignorance in your work place. Only time I hear black jokes is actually from black people here but I think they are very light hearted and not to be taken seriously. They seem to be poking fun at stereotypes as many ethnic groups tend to do. I have lived all over, Midwest, Atlanta and now Dallas and each area seems to have this. I think some people on here are taking a defensive stance because the Dallas area tends to pride its self on being multi cultural and inclusive. Personally, If I were black I would be in Atlanta or DC theres just so many cultural options there for blacks. Dallas tends to play more middle of the road to cater to everyone rather than offer a plethora of options for one group and less for others. I think thats what makes the culture different here.
To correct some misconceptions on what I was saying let me explain. I never said anyone made any racists jokes towards me. The comments were over what areas to live. I found it strange that so many people seemed concerned and then based on their comments versus what I saw for myself, I found what they were saying to be totally incorrect. The thing is this it is one thing to genuinely be wrong but to try to state your opinion as fact is where the problem lies. The DFW area is full of people from all areas of the country. Yes it is diverse in that manner but like in most metro areas at the end of the day folks go their seperate ways meaning folks live where ever they want. The difference is here that folks from my experience tended to write off areas and it was always something said that was negative. This is the truth of my experience. As for catering to blacks. I can adapt to anything or anyone. Now the question can they do the same and show a mutual level of respect w/o putting the next man down for where he chooses to live. That's the whole issue. I am from DC why should I have to live there to be comfortable. I like it here but I would be lying to myself if I did not notice some of the differences. And honestly from perspective I don't see this area as so much playing the middle of the road. That's my opinion.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Every black person can't live in D.C or Atlanta that is not a good reply R1070. I also wouldn't say that Dallas caters to everyone. Speaking as a person that has traveled in about 13 of the 50 states in the Army the last 8 years Dallas is not as inclusive as you think.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:29 AM

28 posts, read 37,623 times
A quote I found on another forum regarding Dallas.

"It seems like every one in Dallas tries to "label" you somehow, like where you grew up, school, church, sports, etc."

As you all can see I am not the only one who sees this.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:35 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
Unlike Atlanta, I heard that people in Dallas or Texas in general, don't look at blacks as favorably.

What does your H do for a living?
You "heard".............. I LIVE HERE! This is NOT the case and so far from the truth it isn't even funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&CMOM View Post
Here is a question does anyone know anything about Firewheel TX, I was told it is between Richardson and Garland.
Quote:
I dont think Firewheel is a town I think its just a shopping area. I know its gonna be the first location of In N Out Burger in Texas.
I didn't get past these last posts as the rest just started to go off topic

I live in Firewheel. Firewheel is an area of Garland that was first several housing developments for many years before we had ANY shopping or dining in the area.

A commute to Richardson from this area is EASY! I mean, I'm only 2 miles from the Richardson city limits. Whoever said it would be a hard commute......... LOL!!! It might be all of 15 minutes depending on where in Richardson the job is. Or as easy as 5 minutes.

Garland is very diverse and a great family area to live in. If you want to check out the public school system here the Garland ISD has a very good Gifted & Talented program w/ magnet schools. My children are in them and I can not speak highly enough of them. My oldest wanted to go to private school when she was in middle school. I was not about to pay the big bucks to send her to a top private school for the same education she is getting right here close to home and I'm not having to pay tuition. Again, I'd seriously check these out. If you still want to go the private school route I do have neighbors that have put their kids thru Jesuit, St. Marks, Ursiline & Hockaday. The top private schools in Dallas. The commute to get to them would be less than an hour.

As for the diversity of Garland and the Firewheel area....... you would be welcome with open arms. It doesn't matter your gender, race, religion, etc. It all boils down to the person you are. Everyone is very outgoing and there are many family friendly things to do in the immediate area. Great parks, rec centers, family events, shopping, dining, etc all near by. There are several homes in your price range in the Firewheel area. Look in The Retreat, The Hills of Breckinridge and The Fairways of Firewheel. All are homes that are in your price range. The first two are gated and the last one is not. The Retreat and the Fairways are golf course communities. The Firewheel Mom's Club hosts an annual Easter Egg Hunt and Fall Festival for all of the Firewheel neighborhoods at the golf course every year.

If you find a particular house you want the inside scoop on feel free to pm me.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingly0577 View Post
A quote I found on another forum regarding Dallas.

"It seems like every one in Dallas tries to "label" you somehow, like where you grew up, school, church, sports, etc."

As you all can see I am not the only one who sees this.
Yes, when we meet someone we ask them about themselves. This is called getting to know someone. Who knows.......... you might have something in common .

I live in Garland in Firewheel. I did not grow up in Garland but another Dallas burb. Garland has a great small town feel to it and the "natives" are very welcoming. So much so that most think I grew up here and it doesn't matter to them that I did not attend a Garland school. When I first moved into this house we meet one of the neighbors two doors over. Started talking and she grew up in the same burb my husband and I did. Ended up being that her and I lived on the SAME STREET in that other burb as kids and her best friend growing up was my next door neighbor. Her brother is the same age as my husband and I and we went to school w/ him. If neither one of us had bothered to ask those questions we never would have known. Then the six degrees thing. You find these things out and you never know who you might meet that knows someone you do, goes to church or plays on a sports team w/ your kids or whatever.

It is called trying to get to know someone............ UGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas