Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 05:54 PM

164 posts, read 499,429 times

Advertisements

Also look into Murphy. The area is prettier and quieter than the ones you mentioned. Also, no gas drilling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 PM

164 posts, read 499,429 times
Top 10 suburbs by D Magazine:

D Magazine : Rating the Best Suburbs in Dallas

Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 AM

95 posts, read 278,084 times
As another new Texan, I can tell you this:

Keller
OK, other than what's been posted (closer to FW) I don't know much. We only looked at a couple of houses in Keller.

Flower Mound
We lived in an apt in FM for ~3 months while we were house hunting. It was very nice. We had planned to look for houses in FM, but my wife read a bunch about the drilling going on there and possible links to cancer. Is it fact? I don't know, but my father died of cancer at 42 and I thought it was a risk (no matter how small) I didn't need to take. But if the drilling is a non-issue to you, then I'd say it's a very nice place.

RE: Lewisville, even if there are 'bad things' going on there, I never noticed or saw any effect (although we were in some areas of Lewisville frequently and we never noticed anything amiss).

Frisco
This is where we ended up. Part of it was fate and part of it was choice. We also looked in Plano, McKinney, Highland Village and Prosper. All were nice, but in the end we got a very good deal on a spec home (a new home that has already been started) that met the April 30th/June 30th deadline for the tax credit. We liked everything about Frisco so we took the deal.

As mentioned Frisco has a lot of development - plenty of shopping, etc -but there is still a lot of open space. Just across the street from us is Brinkmann Ranch - I'd guess it to be at least 3-4 square miles of open farm/pasture land. It's the area in red below - and it may extend to that section to the right of it as well, but I'm not certain.

There are also lots of other smaller plots like this with cattle or horses roaming. Will they be there forever? No, I know everyone has their price and there will come a time when someone offers the Brinkmann's theirs. But for now it's a nice reminder that I don't live right in the chock-a-bloc suburbs.

There are toll roads, but on the other hand there is no state income tax paying for roads. So you only pay for the toll roads if you use them - seems fair to me.

The school system is highly rated and appears to be intelligently handled. There are a brand new high school and middle school opening this Sept in our area to accomodate houses that are still being built. This is way different than where we came from (DC area) where new schools were built only after the existing schools were choked for space.

That's my report! Good luck!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 20,307 times
Again - thanks for all of the responses. Still looking... All of the areas so far have their pluses. I will take the advice and check out Murphy as well. I looked in Lantana but heard taxes are high (I'm trying to pay less than my ridiculous NY taxes). Finding something I like with all of the features and a pool is the challenge. If I could talk my wife out of the pool (we could use the community pool) I would be golden!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasull View Post
Again - thanks for all of the responses. Still looking... All of the areas so far have their pluses. I will take the advice and check out Murphy as well. I looked in Lantana but heard taxes are high (I'm trying to pay less than my ridiculous NY taxes). Finding something I like with all of the features and a pool is the challenge. If I could talk my wife out of the pool (we could use the community pool) I would be golden!
Yeah...a pool on a new build is what's going to make it difficult due to yard sizes in newer subdivisions. I knew a guy who had a 3000 sq ft house (2 stories) sitting on a .14 acre plot. He hardly had room for a deck in the backyard!

Old 07-17-2010, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 15,707 times
I live in Frisco. The schools are going to be great in all 3 cities, and for $350K you will be able to purchase a fantastic home with upgrades and a pool. But, if you want ANY kind of backyard, forget Frisco. My former boss moved to Flower Mound a couple of years ago, and he told me the city council had just passed a resolution requiring all new homes to be built on one acre lots. That's incredible! I'd love to move there for that very reason. If you don't care about yard space, Frisco is fantastic. Will find a great home with a pool but when you step out your back door you'll probably fall into the pool. Plus, if you like dogs, they'll have NOWHERE to do their business. We don't have a pool and I hate my tiny backyard, it always smell like dog poop unless I clean up after my dog every 2-3 days, so we never enjoy our patio. Just too little room for my 2 dogs to run.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:19 AM

142 posts, read 360,135 times
Honestly,

You should look into Grapevine. It's got a quaint downtown area full of shops and cafes, lots of trees, great shopping, good schools but not "snooty" Your price range and needs would definitely be found there. I lived there for a long time and usually go there to shop and eat. Frisco is awful, a bunch of box homes, no landscape and is congested. Keller is OK, but just houses, houses, houses, houses as far as you can see. Flower Mound is pretty nice as well, as the houses have yards, they are building lots of nice new shopping also.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,841,453 times
I agree with you that Grapevine is very nice and I recommend people look there as it does have alot to offer etc....
BUT>>>
Quote:
Keller is OK, but just houses, houses, houses, houses as far as you can see.
That is so not true. The actual city of Keller has alot of trees and acreage and a great trail system that runs along Bear Creek through Bear ceek park.

What you state is such a hog wash blanket statement. Like associating Grapevine with only the Grapevine Mills area or 114...Chain Resturant Row and car dealship heaven!

Drive along Johnston RD in North Keller from Pearson or North on Davis...LOTs of acrage with horses and huge old trees.
Drive south of 1709 on Rufe snow and Bear creek park area. Williamsburg and up Barbara lane. The area above Bearcreek park.

The area you describe as houses upon houses as far as you can see...that is WEST of 377 (woodland sparings etc...) and is not KELLER. It's Ft worth.
Aslo if you only drive down 1709 (6 lane major road) then yes Keller can be preceived as houses and strip malls....BUT then so can Sotuhlake. Because that road is the major retail area and commercial zone. You don't associate Grapevine ONLY with 114, It's a mess, congested and ugly.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:55 PM

4 posts, read 7,984 times
Jasull, my husband and I are in the process of moving from Mount Sinai, NY to Texas in the next few months. We just got back from the area and fell in love with Frisco. Beautiful area, well taken care of, great schools and LOW TAXES! Something, as you know, we're not used to!

Keller and Flower Mound were great as well. Keller seems like they're building it up more and they also have good school. We looked at the Marshall Ridge community there and the Drees homes have nice size lots for a reasonable price.

Few things our Realtor told us, that I loved - in the areas they expand the roads when they build new communities. They also build schools to accommodate the new housing. Two things we never do on Long Island!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 PM

7 posts, read 20,307 times
gdc613 - good to see I am not the only one looking to escape the cost og living in NY. I have been here since April and like it. Still getting used to being land locked - I have to try to take advantage of some of the lakes... Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas