Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 02:36 PM

216 posts, read 214,360 times

Advertisements

I'm a 30-something widowed mom with 2 young children who is ready to date again but I want to meet someone In Real Life. I've joined Meetup, and have become a regular rock climber, coffee drinker, and several other things (when Grandma can babysit), but except for being hit on by a college kid home on spring break (I'm not even kidding), I can't seem to bridge the gap from hobby-buddy to dates. A married friend suggested I try to meet someone in church but the churches I've been going to don't seem to have a concentration of singles. I even signed up for a community group at one and was so excited to learn I'd be matched with people coming from a similar background... until I realized the church saw me more as a "widow" than young single mom... After 3 sessions with retirees, I bailed. Any suggestions on churches with good singles groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 03:38 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
My advice is to visit churches that are REALLY BIG for a couple of reasons:

1. Likely to have a great childrens' program for your kids so you can get involved as a family. This will help you meet people - note, I said people, not single men- who may end up playing "matchmaker" for you.

2. Likely to have many things for you to get involved with as an adult- womens' groups (bigger churches more likely to have daytime and evening women's activies so if you work you'll be able to participate), volunteering inside the church and out in the community, etc. Again, all opportunities for you to meet people and make friends.

From my experience, most 30-something singles groups are full of never-married singles or possibly people who were married very young & now divorced with no kids. Single adults with kids are usually in a different "life stage" than the never married singles. That's why I recommend joining a large church where you're going to meet lots of people, not just singles.

Some churches that might work are Watermark, Fellowship, Northwest Bible, Highland Park Methodist, Prestonwood Baptist.

You also might want to try EHarmony. It will match you with men who have indicated they are open to dating women with children.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:57 PM

788 posts, read 1,224,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
I'm a 30-something widowed mom with 2 young children who is ready to date again but I want to meet someone In Real Life. I've joined Meetup, and have become a regular rock climber, coffee drinker, and several other things (when Grandma can babysit), but except for being hit on by a college kid home on spring break (I'm not even kidding), I can't seem to bridge the gap from hobby-buddy to dates. A married friend suggested I try to meet someone in church but the churches I've been going to don't seem to have a concentration of singles. I even signed up for a community group at one and was so excited to learn I'd be matched with people coming from a similar background... until I realized the church saw me more as a "widow" than young single mom... After 3 sessions with retirees, I bailed. Any suggestions on churches with good singles groups?
What part of town do you live in?

Old 04-03-2017, 06:07 PM

I'm in Coppell which is 30 minutes from everywhere in Dallas or Ft Worth. I cross posted to that forum too.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:57 PM

10 posts, read 10,523 times
You might try Bent Tree Bible in Carrollton.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:07 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,451,297 times
Try First Baptist Dallas. We have people coming from all over the metroplex.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:20 PM

788 posts, read 1,224,707 times
I agree with another poster on Prestonwood. There should definitely be a Bible Fellowship with other folks in your age and life stage at Prestonwood. I would also visit Gateway in Southlake.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:18 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Try Irving Bible Church right off Beltline & 635. Medium size progressive church with many groups.

Irving Bible Church | Uncommon Love

Old 04-04-2017, 06:52 AM

Great suggestions, thanks!... but I'll never join eHarmony :-P

Old 04-04-2017, 08:13 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
Great suggestions, thanks!... but I'll never join eHarmony :-P
Just curious, why not? I know about ten couples who all met in their 30's (some never married, some divorced, some with kids) who have all been married 5-7ish years now after meeting on EHarmony. Seems like the site works pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas