U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 03:15 PM

12 posts, read 30,027 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I was in the North Dallas area (mostly UP and HP) about a week ago and noticed that almost nobody had landscape lighting. I thought it was extremely odd that such a nice area wouldn't have it. I live in North Carolina and landscape lighting is a huge deal around here. Is it just not important to Texans? Could somebody shed light on this issue (pun absolutely intended)? Like I said it struck me as odd and was curious. Thanks for any input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 03:21 PM

9,418 posts, read 12,466,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedWildebeast View Post
Hey all,

I was in the North Dallas area (mostly UP and HP) about a week ago and noticed that almost nobody had landscape lighting. I thought it was extremely odd that such a nice area wouldn't have it. I live in North Carolina and landscape lighting is a huge deal around here. Is it just not important to Texans? Could somebody shed light on this issue (pun absolutely intended)? Like I said it struck me as odd and was curious. Thanks for any input.
I'm surprised by this. I don't have landscape lighting (I'm north of UP), but just about everyone else around here does. Personally I prefer dark at night. LOL.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:33 PM

12,882 posts, read 25,709,486 times
Quote:
Hey all,

That is weird. Seems lik every other UP/HP home has landscape lighting.

Maybe because it's summer & getting dark after 9pm?!

Old 07-07-2010, 03:40 PM

34,009 posts, read 54,003,635 times
could they be solar and down because of the cloudy days????

could the homeowners actually be trying to conserve energy???

Old 07-07-2010, 04:03 PM

9,418 posts, read 12,466,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
could they be solar and down because of the cloudy days????

could the homeowners actually be trying to conserve energy???
I wondered about that as well, but they sure still are using their lighting in my neighborhood. While I think some of it is well done and pretty, I just wish we had less light pollution in Dallas overall. When I was a kid we could actually see the stars here. <sigh>

Old 07-07-2010, 04:06 PM

12,882 posts, read 25,709,486 times
Quote:
Hey all,

That is weird. Seems lik every other UP/HP home has landscape lighting.

Maybe because it's summer & getting dark after 9pm?!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,245,559 times
It seems like a waste of electricity - and 'light pollution' too. I'd rather sit out in my backyard and see the stars... vs. irritating 'spot lights' coming from neighbors' houses.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:49 PM

16,086 posts, read 39,058,180 times
"Moonlighting" - mercury vapor lights directed down from high branches in the trees is popular in those places..see:

http://www.watsonlighting.com/

I like it but yes, I really prefer it dark - I like to go out and look at the moon - true can't see the stars as well as in the 60s and 70s. I can remember going out as a kid and looking up in the stars because the Gemini and Apollo astronauts were up there...I really thought I could see them on the moon with my binoculars (of course I was into "Lost In Space").

Old 07-07-2010, 06:13 PM

2,589 posts, read 2,327,216 times
I'd say about half the people in my neighborhood have landscape lighting. It's pretty, but what a waste of money. My house is completely black at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>