Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:13 PM

17,388 posts, read 11,910,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2tracy View Post
=========================

Well at least you or not a hypocrite, nothing worse to me than a pro-life ultra consevative Christian that demands women keep their babies, refuses to pay taxes to support those babies, and loves to see children bombed in other countries, and wants to murder people when it has been proven DNA evidence has set free many from death row... (I am a born again Christia, pro-life, anti-death penalty, anti-war, and pro-welfare because children gotta eat and most homeless are mentally ill, it is the merciful thing to provide welfare, and as you can see I'm all over the spectrum too.
Pssst, you're not all over the spectrum. You're waaaaayyyyy left of the spectrum.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:16 PM

17,388 posts, read 11,910,205 times
Quote:
And yes... I am a paper pushing tax loving union supported government employee... and loving it... And you can be too! Here is where you apply! yay! LOL
Employment Opportunities
I wouldn't work for a union for all the money in the world. For one thing, I'd have to cut back on my work ethic, so I don't make all my coworkers look bad.

Enjoy your job while it lasts. Which will only be as long as the state stays solvent.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:05 PM

138 posts, read 570,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Pssst, you're not all over the spectrum. You're waaaaayyyyy left of the spectrum.

Nope, Christian, very conservative when it comes to myself and my family, and pro-life. I'm not way left of anything. I am what scripture says we should be, and that is not your typical right wing Republican that salivates at the idea of war.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I wouldn't work for a union for all the money in the world. For one thing, I'd have to cut back on my work ethic, so I don't make all my coworkers look bad.

Enjoy your job while it lasts. Which will only be as long as the state stays solvent.

Every government agencyis different, with different budgets. Don't worry about me and mine, we are fine.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 AM

4 posts, read 9,645 times
lived in wylie since '85 and have nothing bad to say about it.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,724,823 times
LOL! that this thread popped to the top today. Over the weekend we went to dine at an eating establishment in Wylie. While there a group of 19-23ish year olds all came in. What race/ethnic were they? ALL SHADES! They were obviously all very good friends and lived in the area and no one gave any of them a hard time because a "white was talking to a black person". They even sat beside each other.

I think the OP just had issues going on that would make anywhere they might not have liked a bad experience and it had nothing to do w/ Wylie or the people there.

BTW, Meteor Burger is pretty good. Just a good'ol cooked on the gridle hamburger and the bun is too

Old 08-24-2010, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,466 times
Default My Experience with Wylie

I've read over the City-Data forums for years but never had a good-enough reason to sign up until this thread. I live in Wylie; lived in Wylie for 7 years now. I moved from Garland which is only a few miles away so needless to say I've been in the area for over 30 years. I must say that though the OP did have an unusual story for this day and age, if it happened anywhere in North Texas, it would be in Wylie.

Things are changing in Wylie (more minorities moving in over the last several years) because 10 years ago it was almost all white. The old "keep it white" mentality is alive and well with those who have spent their entire lives here - likely because that is how they were brought up.

The point is that Wylie has always been a traditionally Caucasian town. Many people liked it that way and aren't too happy with the influx. I imagine racial tensions are easing at the High School with there being more Blacks and Hispanics enrolled because 7 years ago when I moved to Wylie there were only a couple Black students in the whole school.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the citizens of Wylie are all racists, but there is an unspoken bond if you are White. Rebut if you will - you can't argue that the Census of 2000 clearly demonstrates the lack of racial diversity only 10 short years ago.

Ever seen a Black Principal, Police Officer, Fire Fighter in Wylie?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:06 PM

85 posts, read 349,593 times
Quote:
Ahhh.... In California the cities subsidize mediators and they will fight for you in court against unfair housing, not so in Texas, you are out on the street on you bum-bum. If you like Wylie live there, I just wish someone had warned me before I moved there.
Fortunately that is not the case here. Wylie sounds like a great place to live, if you dont mind being that far north.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM

871 posts, read 2,679,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wills View Post
Fortunately that is not the case here. Wylie sounds like a great place to live, if you dont mind being that far north.
And for people like myself, a California transplant, being 25 miles from my work near Preston Center and 30 miles from Downtown Dallas (if that) is hardly "being that far north." To me anything that falls into the extreme category are points north of McKinney (assuming all work on 75 is done, right now even McKinney to Dallas every day on 75 with its construction would be a nightmare).

Old 08-26-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WylieGuy View Post
I've read over the City-Data forums for years but never had a good-enough reason to sign up until this thread. I live in Wylie; lived in Wylie for 7 years now. I moved from Garland which is only a few miles away so needless to say I've been in the area for over 30 years. I must say that though the OP did have an unusual story for this day and age, if it happened anywhere in North Texas, it would be in Wylie.

Things are changing in Wylie (more minorities moving in over the last several years) because 10 years ago it was almost all white. The old "keep it white" mentality is alive and well with those who have spent their entire lives here - likely because that is how they were brought up.

The point is that Wylie has always been a traditionally Caucasian town. Many people liked it that way and aren't too happy with the influx. I imagine racial tensions are easing at the High School with there being more Blacks and Hispanics enrolled because 7 years ago when I moved to Wylie there were only a couple Black students in the whole school.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the citizens of Wylie are all racists, but there is an unspoken bond if you are White. Rebut if you will - you can't argue that the Census of 2000 clearly demonstrates the lack of racial diversity only 10 short years ago.

Ever seen a Black Principal, Police Officer, Fire Fighter in Wylie?

People are going to say you are my made up persona! LOL It is true what I said - IN THE PAST - when I lived there during the 90s. If it has changed, that is great. I just wanted to warn people because I was in for a huge cultural shock when we moved there. I just had no idea places like that existed in the 90s in America. I was very naive, I thought if you were a Christian in the Bible Belt than you would behave as Christ says... and sadly that wasn't true. Just seeing how the nasties came out on this thread, tells me Wylie probably hasn't changed much. They protest too much in my opinion. I love California, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love diversity and thank God for our beautiful home in Tracy, my good government job, and the chance to have friends from all walks of life. My oldest daughter is a graduate of SJSU, and she marched for gay marriage in San Francisco, her "maid of honor and best man" at her wedding were a gay male couple, she is agnostic, liberal, supports marijuana reform, and I wouldn't change her for the world. If she lived in Wylie today she would probably be beat up for being so liberal. The Principal and teachers at Wylie High School made her life hell, told her she would never be "college material" and if I hadn't gone to the school board, Pearce would still be Principal and wrecking havoc in the lives of teens his judges as not good enough... and I'd just love to send them her graduation picture from SJSU - her major was Sociology with a focus in community change and wow, I am proud of her. My younger daughter is just about to graduate college, she is consevative, Christian, and she knows better than to judge others or act holier than Thou because of her salvation. I just want to spare other people from that kind of awful experience in Wylie that I had... it was a nightmare... and that is why I started this thread. I rememer when my youngest was a freshman at Wylie High, in honors classes (she had always been in honors classes) and she always won that spelling bee thing too in Wylie, the teacher actually sent her to the office on the first day, said in front of the whole class - "I know who your sister is and you are not honors material, report to the office, they made a mistake." They didn't make a mistake, she was "honors material", still pulling a 4.0 in college and getting the Cal Grant for it. I was so mad I could spit when the teacher did that to her in front of the class. I just want to spare other parents that kind of thing. If things have changed - great, if things haven't changed and you are not lilly white and conservative - then you will be in for a bumpy ride in Wylie Texas - future homebuyers - beware. *oh look, here come all the nasties to defend Wylie Texas again*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas