Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:42 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times

Advertisements

While on the subject of government was hoping you could elaborate on 'mess'?? What types of challenges do the cities down there face?

I know one of the things I am looking forward to getting away from here in MA is my town way of handling things. Basically they do nothing about anything. Looks to me like alot of towns/cities down there have it together, websites are fantastic, coding officials is a big plus etc and I like that the tax is at a local level rather than state level like here where we have little influence.

Like anything, nothing is as it appears or perfect. Would just like to hear the types of problems locals experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 02:55 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Thanks PG and FarNorth, much appreciated...We aren't completely sure where the jobs will be yet..My wife will most likely work from home with the option to go to her offices in Richardson. For me I will be working in the healthcare field, for an insurer. Cigna, United Health or BCBS. I think Cigna has an office in Plano actually, but I think it is more operations and I am in sales and business development. We're coming down to Southlake in August to see family that is there, so I am hoping this trip answers some questions for us. Not sure I will make it out to McKinney, but at some point I will be down by myself for job interviews and to explore without the wife and kids.

I really like McKinney, it looks beautiful and the house prices usually include all we want to get. Commute is important to us, since my wife currently has a 1 hour commute here in MA. We would happily give up any of the creature comforts we would wish for (e.g. pool and lots of square footage) in any house we buy before we settle for a long exhausting commute again. Before we had a family a long commute wasn't as much of a problem, but it's just not possible with three kids under the age of three anymore. Hopefully McKinney doesn't seduce us enough to look past that, or maybe we will be lucky and not have to work downtown.
Then, to be honest, if you don't know where you jobs will be, I would rent first. It may seem like a pain...but not near as much of a pain as moving somewhere and then getting a job an hour or more away (and this could happen whether you moved to the city or the suburbs). It would also give you plenty more time to explore the metroplex and figure out what area works best for your needs and wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas