Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 AM

885 posts, read 1,552,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I pay under $900 for insurance and my house is valued at $170K.

My taxes are around $3700.. don't forget to sign up for your homestead exemption or they'll be higher.

My lawn guy charges $30/week.

$30 a week meaning that he cuts your grass once a week, right? You can ask him to come by once every two week and that would cut your lawn care cost by 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 AM

28 posts, read 71,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
$30 a week meaning that he cuts your grass once a week, right? You can ask him to come by once every two week and that would cut your lawn care cost by 100%.

Have him come once every three weeks and then he'll be paying you to cut your grass!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Sure I could but my lawn would look awful. We keep our lawns cut pretty short around here and the grass grows fast. Looks great to me but my Californian parents keep remarking on it.

He does a great job, is very reliable, and lives in my neighborhood. I consider his services a luxury I'm glad I can afford.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:10 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times
Quote:
I think you mean 50%, but in the summer we need it mowed once/week if you want it to look decent. You could buy a nice mower for $250-300 one time, buy a gallon of gas a year and spend the 30 minutes/week doing it yourself. Then, pay $100/month extra on your mortgage. That'd knock 7 years and 1 month off the payback and save you $36K in interest... not to mention getting to the point of not needing to pay PMI much, much quicker and saving probably another $2-3K there. $100/month extra = $36K over the term of the loan.

I don't get the fascination with lawn services in Dallas. I mow my own lawn. It's not much work and it's a simple bill to negate. To each their own. We also escrow ourselves and do all the repairs ourselves. We're paying $225/month extra since I figure that's what I save by handling everything myself. Our home will be paid off in about 11 more years. I hate owing people money.

Brian

Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I think you mean 50%, but in the summer we need it mowed once/week if you want it to look decent. You could buy a nice mower for $250-300 one time, buy a gallon of gas a year and spend the 30 minutes/week doing it yourself. Then, pay $100/month extra on your mortgage. That'd knock 7 years and 1 month off the payback and save you $36K in interest... not to mention getting to the point of not needing to pay PMI much, much quicker and saving probably another $2-3K there. $100/month extra = $36K over the term of the loan.

I don't get the fascination with lawn services in Dallas. I mow my own lawn. It's not much work and it's a simple bill to negate. To each their own. We also escrow ourselves and do all the repairs ourselves. We're paying $225/month extra since I figure that's what I save by handling everything myself. Our home will be paid off in about 11 more years. I hate owing people money.

Brian
I pay someone to cut my grass even though I could do it myself for the simple reason that I don't want to. It's hot sweaty work and my yard has a lot of edging since it's a corner lot. I'd rather write someone else a check for $30 to do it.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:03 AM

339 posts, read 1,435,974 times
Default Ok well speaking of lawns....

The only other Richardson-specific thing I can think of is possible water/sewer/garbage costs. About 4 years ago we moved here from Dallas proper and were surprised at how much more expensive rates turned out to be. I honestly don't know if Richardson's water rates are higher or lower than say Plano or Garland and surrounding 'burbs, but I know there's been at least one rate hike since we moved here. Now I know neighbors are paying similar bills so we've not mysteriously turned into some mad water consumers, lol. But the days of $40 water bills are long gone for us, even in months we don't water or use the soaker.

Additionally, I find the water here, especially in drier conditions, to be nearly undrinkable. That's really a personal thing, some folks are pickier than others. In Dallas we happily drank filtered tap water--just the simple Brita pitcher system-- but Richardson's main water source produces frequently stinky water. I'll give it a pass on the color, but if it stinks and tastes bad, no sir. So it's usually bottled for us and that's another monthly expense we didn't have before moving here.

However, the recycling/garbage, bulk pick up, and general helpfulness of the city's water customer service dept makes up for it. Most City services are the best I've ever experienced, but certainly not the cheapest.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I pay someone to cut my grass even though I could do it myself for the simple reason that I don't want to. It's hot sweaty work and my yard has a lot of edging since it's a corner lot. I'd rather write someone else a check for $30 to do it.
Personally, I have enough watering and flower/herb gardening work to do without having the lawn once a week on top of it. My guy spends closer to 1 hour at our house than 30 minutes.

I hate debt too LH_Newbie. Should have my DH's SMU grad school 20 yr loan paid off in 3 more years (total 7) and I make one extra house payment per year. However, I am very happy to keep paying for my wonderful yard guy for the reasons BigDGeek states as well as my own.

I also don't mind escrow on my mortgage. It's very convenient and my mortgage company has never gotten it wrong. Of course since I work here I wouldn't have any trouble taking care of a problem if it did arise. The biggest problem in my view with escrowed accounts is many people don't even open their insurance and county tax mailings ("My mortgage company takes care of that" they say even though of course your mortgage company can't negotiate lower taxes or insurance on your behalf, that be your job) and then get a nasty surprise when their escrow payment is raised several months later because they had a big shortage.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post

Additionally, I find the water here, especially in drier conditions, to be nearly undrinkable. That's really a personal thing, some folks are pickier than others. In Dallas we happily drank filtered tap water--just the simple Brita pitcher system-- but Richardson's main water source produces frequently stinky water. I'll give it a pass on the color, but if it stinks and tastes bad, no sir. So it's usually bottled for us and that's another monthly expense we didn't have before moving here.

However, the recycling/garbage, bulk pick up, and general helpfulness of the city's water customer service dept makes up for it. Most City services are the best I've ever experienced, but certainly not the cheapest.
I hate the water too, but I do use the brita.

I agree the city services are great.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:03 AM

40 posts, read 118,357 times
What is Richardson like these days? I see some of the neighborhoods really looking in sad shape

Old 07-15-2010, 01:20 PM

885 posts, read 1,552,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post
Now I know neighbors are paying similar bills so we've not mysteriously turned into some mad water consumers, lol. But the days of $40 water bills are long gone for us, even in months we don't water or use the soaker.
If you pay close attention to your water bill, most of it is fixed amounts such as garbage, tax, etc. Your water consumption amount in terms of dollar is small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas