Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:14 AM

1,006 posts, read 729,047 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to if this is a good area for a young, socially liberal professional to live. Is it somewhat artsy with unique restaurants within walking distance? I'd prefer to live somewhere in the mix of things but with a decent amount of young professionals, not slackers but yet not so many yuppies (asking too much am I?). Industrial loft type dwellings are what I prefer.

P.S. I dont do suburbs so if its not a urban or industrialized area i probably wont like it.

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 07-14-2010 at 12:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:22 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,434,320 times
deep ellum is great. I lived there for two years in the continental building.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,439,541 times
Also look around Davis St in Oak Cliff - Tyler St area. Many buildings in the area are zoned residential. This area is just a smidge east of Bishop Arts District and is called Kessler X+. If you are around tonight, go down there for Bastille on Bishop. Bastille on Bishop

Old 07-14-2010, 11:41 AM

80 posts, read 702,203 times
I LOVE living in Deep Ellum! So much character there and a ton of great places to eat, drink, and watch live music. I lived in downtown for the past 3 years and I didn't enjoy it as much as I do Deep Ellum.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Deep Ellum was dying, now its up and coming. It might a good investment now.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,434,320 times
and deep ellum actually has parking. My ex lived downtown while I lived in Deep Ellum and it was almost impossible to find parking at her place. Plus its cheaper in deep ellum. The futura building is pretty nice to with a pool that is very fun on the weekends. We used to have some great drunken volleyball games there.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 40,998,312 times
I'm an E. Dallas native so I've never had trouble parking in Ellum, Expo Park or Fair Park areas - I know all the nooks and crannies.

Ellum is great - I've been on many loft tours and to parties in some of them. I have a classmate since kindergarten who owns Retro Style Mid-Century Modern Furniture Knoll Herman Miller Dunbar I've known Monica since her days at Genaro's and I worked on her city council campaign Monica's - aca y alla and I am a friend of a friend of Jeff Swaney, who was an Ellum pioneer with bars, restaurants and real estate Downtown Dallas Commercial Retail Real Estate, Deep Ellum East Dallas Office Residential Lofts Warehouses, Brokerage Bridge Lending so I got on his list and I get invited to cool parties and events.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:32 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,091,857 times
Google "Good Space"- a landlord who owns some mixed use rental buildings in North Oak Cliff/ Bishop Arts District. Lots of artists & indie types in the area.

Also check the Cedars area south of I-30 from downtown. Southside on Lamar is the old Sears Catalog Building that has been converted into loft rentals. Indie coffee shop & record store downstairs, great backyard bar (Lee Harvey's) nearby, concert venues Palladium Ballroom & The Loft across the street, and lots of artist/ indie/ professional types in the building.

Deep Ellum & Exposition Park are great areas. Walkable, great sense of community, and really interesting mixed use buildings. There are several bigger loft buildings (Adam's Hat is the only one whose name I can think of now) and a bunch of smaller ones you'd have to find by walking around.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,551 times
Deep Ellum seems like a great area. Im looking at places in this area and was wondering how long it takes driving from Deep Ellum to Lancaster during the rush?

Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 AM

326 posts, read 958,268 times
Deep Ellum and Expo Park have some cool urban living spaces. The area is starting to revive and see a lot of new activity. Another area with a similar vibe is the Cedars/Southside, just south of downtown.

There are listings of all the properties in different districts here: Residences | Downtown Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas