Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 07:52 AM
MxL MxL started this thread

92 posts, read 509,868 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite golf courses in Dallas and the surrounding suburbs?

How about two lists - one for your overall favorites and one for the best values (not necessarily the cheapest).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 AM

225 posts, read 518,811 times
I'll jump in here. There are a ton of golf courses in the Dallas Metro. Here is a list of my favorites (public) in no particular order as I like to play different golf courses as much as possible:

Firewheel (Garland) -This public club has two different club houses and 45 holes of golf. My favorite is the Lakes Course

Texas Star (Euless) - Expensive, but by far one of the best golf courses in the metroplex

Indian Creek (Carrollton) - This club has two different courses and both are challenging. It gets very busy here so I try to go on off times if I play it.

Tennison Park-Tennison Highlands (Dallas) - This is one of Dallas' older courses. Also, this was the course that Lee Trevino grew up on. The Glen (the other course) is just not worthy playing.

Cedar Crest (South Dallas) - I believe they had the PGA or U.S. Open here in the early 1900's. Great course to play with smallish greens.

Chase Oaks (Plano)-very challenging course with reasonable rates

Ridgeview Ranch (Plano)-great course, but again can get crowded at peak times.

Twin Creeks (Allen)-Anrold Palmer designed. This is just an enjoyable round no matter how you play.

Heritage Ranch (Fairview)-this is one of the area's best kept secrets. This course is located in a retirement community, but has more teeth then most courses in the area from the tips.

Bridlewood (Flower Mound)-Bent grass greens and nice design. Prices on the steep side, but worth it to get out there and play.

Tour 18 (Flower Mound)-Try this atleast once. It is made up of 18 of golf's most famous holes including Amen's Corner from Augusta. It's fun.

Tribute Golf Club (The Colony)-Don't go on a windy day unless you want a beating because it is British Open style links with no trees.

Trails of Frisco (Frisco)-again, good design and good balance of risk/reward.

Iron Horse (N. Richland Hills) - tight off the tee into smallish greens. Fun to play a couple of times, but this course can get busy too and you will lose a lot of golf balls.

Ryan

Old 07-14-2010, 12:57 PM
MxL MxL started this thread

92 posts, read 509,868 times
Some great info there - thanks Ryan.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:25 PM

264 posts, read 624,908 times
Ryan came up with a great list to get you started.

Fossil Creek(Ft Worth)-Arnold Palmer designed course, right at 6900 yards from the tips. Decent challenge as there are numerous water hazards.

Tangle Ridge(Grand Prairie)-6800 yards from the tips, sits near Joe Pool Lake. It can get very windy. Native areas line most of the fairways.

Woodbridge(Sachse)-Close to 7100 yards from the tips, this course is usually in pretty good shape. Tif greens, a couple of odd holes, but otherwise I really enjoy the course.

Sky Creek Ranch(Keller)- Roughly 6900 yards, Robert Trent Jones Jr design, bentgrass greens, water in play on every hole but 2. Great course.

I played Heritage Ranch the other day for the first time and was delighted with the course layout and conditions. It is truly one of the best public courses in the metroplex.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:45 PM

217 posts, read 1,045,386 times
My overall favs in no order:

1. Tribute (The Colony) - I agree this can be a beating if it's windy. It's right next to Lake Lewisville and since there are no trees there is nothing to stop the wind if it's whipping over the lake.
2. Tennison (Dallas) - Everyone that plays golf in Dallas should play this one at least once. It can be crowded on weekends.
3. Castle Hills (Lewisville) - Very well kept course. Fairly low traffic. Last time I was there the price you paid was good for golf all day so you could play 36 holes if you wanted to. Not sure if that still applies.
4. Cowboys (Grapevine) - VIP package includes golf, range balls, and all food and non alcoholic drinks. Has really nice elevation changes, one of the few in the area that does.
5. Fossil Creek (Forth Worth) - Just really like the layout and again, it's not completely flat.

Value Faves

1. Sherrill Park (Richardson) - City golf course. I probably play here the most because I like the courses and the Head Pro and Super know what they're doing. They keep the course in really good shape considering the number of people that play here. Course #1 is a "Championship Course" with long tree lined fairways. Course #2 is shorter with a LOT of water on the course.
2. Woodbridge (Wylie) - This is the former home of the North Texas PGA so it's a tough course. It's busy but not a ton of traffic. I like to play the twilight rate here. $29 and that includes the cart with a GPS.
3. Indian Creek (Carrollton) - Like Ryan said, two very good courses.

Firewheel deserves a mention. The Lakes and Bridges courses are pretty good layouts but I'm not sure I would call them good value for the money you pay. $47 and $65 respectively for weekend rates with a cart. The clubhouse staff is just ok and the course never seems to be in as good of condition as I would expect for those prices. I'd probably feel better playing here for twilight rates.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 904 times
Default Favorite Golf Courses in Dallas

There are too many Golf courses in Dallas. I have also visited some of them but i just like only few. Here I describes which is my favorite once. They are :

1. The Bridges Golf Club in Gunter
2. Champions Circle Golf Club in Fort Worth
3. The Tribute Golf Club in The Colony
4. Dallas Cowboys Golf Club in Grapevine
5. Twin Lakes Golf Course in Canton
6. Iron Horse Golf Course in North Richland Hills

Old 02-16-2017, 06:44 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
I've been told the TPC Four Seasons Golf Course in Las Colinas is the best one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas