Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 09:01 PM

4 posts, read 19,167 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband and i just moved to Dallas from Atlanta , currently in corporate housing in Coppell for another month. We really like the Lakewood area to rent initially and buy longer term, like the older homes, old growth trees etc but are having a hard time finding non-religion based preschools in that part of town (Park cities/Lakewood/M-streets) for our two year old son.

Any recommendations? I read on this forum that the East Dallas Developmental center was good, but they have no openings for my son's age for another year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
Also look at Children's Center and Learning Tree.
Once your child is 3 and potty-trained, look the Science School at the Museum of Nature and Science.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:44 AM

446 posts, read 1,005,985 times
Look at savvysource.net, they have a lot of info on preschools. We used Children's Center and loved it, but hear great things about Ridgewood Methodist, Learning Tree, Zion Lutheran...I know you said non-denom, but that's really limiting your choices. In the end, the religion thing in preschool is pretty tame...we sent ours to a Jewish preschool in another city, with big deals made about all the holy days, lots of Hebrew taught, etc. He's in first grade now and doesn't remember any of the religious stuff, only the friends he made.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
I think there are a lot more options once your son turns three and is potty trained. You might have to maybe figure something out until he gets there. (sorry). My dd went to Montessori Children's House at Abrams & Walnut Hill. It is a great place. We have a lot of neighbors who have used Children's Center and can't say enough nice things about it.

Good luck and welcome to Dallas!

Old 07-16-2010, 07:59 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
That reminds me...Junius Heights Montessori has a toddler program.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
You might find some more info on the Lakewood Early Childhood PTA site:

Information Links

Old 09-03-2010, 11:15 AM

34 posts, read 94,384 times
I had the same question for my almost 4 and almost 2 yo...they are in a daycare now but was going to enroll them in kinwest montessori - it hasn't opened yet but when I looked up private preschools they were all religious based. Any suggestions in irving? The coppell branch of montessori is right on old denton road and it seemed very nice and organized when I went to visit a few months ago

Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househunterdfw View Post
I had the same question for my almost 4 and almost 2 yo...they are in a daycare now but was going to enroll them in kinwest montessori - it hasn't opened yet but when I looked up private preschools they were all religious based. Any suggestions in irving? The coppell branch of montessori is right on old denton road and it seemed very nice and organized when I went to visit a few months ago
Most preschools in the Dallas area are based thru a church. Don't worry abou that aspect of it at all. They are usually some of the best preschools around and many of the students that attend them don't even go to church there or anywhere and the same goes for many of the teachers working at them. I know of many Jewish families that have sent their little ones to preschools in Baptist and Methodist churches. It is not like going to bible study or anything like that. Then I can't even begin to tell you how many of these schools are actually not a part of the actual church they are in. Some of them rent the space from the church and might use the churches name and that is as far as it goes.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:30 PM

100 posts, read 440,562 times
If you are interested in Montessori schools in East Dallas, the toddler program at Junius Heights Montessori on Worth is great. Small school with lots of individual attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas