Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times

Advertisements

I have owned and lived in Mesquite and also vote for Garland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Between those two...Garland...but unless your job is in that part of town, I'd go with another area. Garland and especially Mesquite are kind of far out and the traffic getting into Dallas SUCKS.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,016,278 times
I live in Mesquite but would have to give Garland the nod. The city planners have done a much better job seeing a vision for Garlands future. I like living in Mesquite but Garland does a better job at city planning and giving you school options. I really wish Mesquite would adopt some of Garland ideas for it's future. They are two cities that were once much alike.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
The Garland waterpark "Hawaiian Falls' is north of Garland, from Wellington, you can go to the Wet Zone waterpark in Rowlett, it's a good waterpark too, just not as big. A lot LOT cheaper too. $11 a person vs. $23.

Naima
It is a different price for NON ROWLETT RESIDENTS. If you are a NON resident you pay more. At Hawaiian Falls it is the same price if you are a resident or not.

I don't know about taking coolers into the Wet Zone but you can take them to Hawaiian Falls.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Between those two...Garland...but unless your job is in that part of town, I'd go with another area. Garland and especially Mesquite are kind of far out and the traffic getting into Dallas SUCKS.
But, from the other cities she listed. Getting into Dallas is MUCH easier from Garland. McKinney and Allen........ NO!!! Especially since she is looking right by I-30 and a quick zip down to downtown.

I live in Garland in the Firewheel area and LOVE the city. And don't people tell you this is the only nice part of Garland. There are some drop down BEAUTIFUL areas of South Garland w/ lovely well kept large ranch homes, HUGE lots, mature trees, creeks, etc. And highly paid professionals live in those areas. I know MANY that do.

Yes, we have choice of school. Call the district and find out if the school has room and what you will need to enroll them. I'm sure that one does. I'm familiar w/ the area you are looking in. If it is full you can ask to be put on the waiting list and you will get a call if a spot opens up. Sometimes you will get it on the first day of school as kids had enrolled and moved and the parents did not notify the schools. As soon as you have a contract go and enroll them and get them on the waitlist if there is one.

As for the high school right there, Lakeview. The GISD has been working to improve it and adding more magnet courses. It is the dual credit campus as well as the medical and radio/tv/media campus. A lot more kids out of Austin Academy (middle school G/T magnet) are picking Lakeview now. Your kids will NOT get into Rowlett HS if they don't live in Rowlett. It is way over crowded. If your kids get into a magnet program in elementary or middle school then the high schools they want to attend may change. Garland HS is the G/T magnet as well as the preforming arts school. Sachse has the robotics team and they added something else now. North Garland HS is the math and science school.

Someone mentioned Armstrong Elem.... you will NOT get in there as it is clear across town from you. Same for Luna. LOVE Luna and it is a great school. As for uniforms I'd say about half of the elem schools are standardized dress and the rest are whatever they want to wear within the GISD dress code.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,610,944 times
It depends on your price range. If your range is, say between $100K and $175K, I'd probably choose Mesquite, where you'll have a much bigger selection in decent neighborhoods. If it's over $175K, the Firewheel area of Garland (generally north of George Bush Turnpike between Hwy. 78 and Shiloh) would be my preference.

Mesquite is quite nice in certain neighborhoods, but for most people here who only know about the bad stuff, you'll find that they look down on the city. It's a great place to raise a family IMHO and you can buy a lot of home for your money there.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM

722 posts, read 2,100,270 times
I live just south of George Bush near Firewheel. I like the neighborhoods and they are reasonable (130-170K). I also take the train downtown. It takes 30 minutes to get from downtown Garland to downtown Dallas on the DART.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:53 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,016,278 times
I live in Mesquite and my commute to downtown Dallas is much shorter than it would be if I lived in Garland (Firewheel area). Another point is price range. Mesquite would be a better option if the OP is looking for housing in the 160k and below range. Garland would certainly be better for anything over this since Mesquite housing tends to top out at around 200k. Garland does have some great neighborhoods outside Firewheel. One just needs to get off the beaten path to see them. Mesquite gets sold short alot but there are some great neighborhoods in the city. You simply have to know where to look.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I live in Mesquite and my commute to downtown Dallas is much shorter than it would be if I lived in Garland (Firewheel area). Another point is price range. Mesquite would be a better option if the OP is looking for housing in the 160k and below range. Garland would certainly be better for anything over this since Mesquite housing tends to top out at around 200k. Garland does have some great neighborhoods outside Firewheel. One just needs to get off the beaten path to see them. Mesquite gets sold short alot but there are some great neighborhoods in the city. You simply have to know where to look.
The OP did state that they found a house in Garland over in the Wellington area which is practically right next to I-30 so their commute to downtown will not be an issue.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:42 PM

32 posts, read 57,395 times
why would you look at garland or mesquite when there are aso many better options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas