U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,557,114 times

Advertisements

Beastly? Mileage-wise doesn't look bad at all. Just wondering how the traffic flows from those two locations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 01:13 PM

7,238 posts, read 20,572,127 times
It would be brutal... Two basic ways in and out of Flower Mound, either Round Grove/Hebron or up further in Lewisville to Main street. What's the time of day? I35 is gridlock in the mornings, though it's almost always easy flowing on Bush... but if you have to exit for south on 75, that's a pain too...

Old 07-19-2010, 01:26 PM

22 posts, read 39,107 times
It is not a fun drive, you could hit the Bush Tollway depending on where you will be going in Richardson, but commute is bad. I used to drive from Denton to Plano (15th/75) and 36 miles took 1hr + With the high growth in Lewisville, FM area expect at least an hr commute, but look for backroads to try out. One problem with Hebron also is the number of schools on the road and school zones.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:33 PM

871 posts, read 2,553,768 times
Where are you looking in Flower Mound?

Where would your work be in Richardson?

Without knowing more, it would be bad, you would suffer from the same issue I do. My commute miles-wise is only 25 miles from Wylie to Preston Center. The big problem is that getting from Wylie to a freeway takes 15-20 minutes, so the commute ends being 35-45 minutes, sometimes longer each way.

In Flower Mound, it will still take more time than you'd like to spend getting to the freeway. You'd want to hop on a freeway (or tollway) in 5 minutes, but in this case it would take 15 min easy to hit 35E (to get to Bush).

Google maps says to take 635 to 75 to get to Richardson. Man that's an awful commute. Beyond awful. 635 is so bad that they are considering turning it into a dual deck freeway with one of the decks being a tollway. As others have said, you would want to get to the Bush Turnpike which is smooth sailing, but also as others have said, if you have to go Bush to 75 at some point that sucks.

Also just getting to Bush will be an issue. I'm guessing you'd make your way to 35E to Bush turnpike, but even that stretch of 35E will be packed during commute times.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM

The addresses of potential location for one employer I am considering are as follows:

1311 W. President George Bush Hwy-Richardson
5800 Granite Parkway-Plano
2301 West Plano Parkway-Plano
2630 West Freeway-Forth Worth

I am not sure which office I would be in, don't have an offer either..This is an employer (united health group) that I used to work for that I have a lot of contacts at. Those are all their office locations, still trying to find out which functions are in each.

The irony here is the FW office is furthest away and I bet you will tell me that would be the best commute. right?

Anyway, no residency address yet, we just really like Flower Mound from what we have seen and heard, kind of locked on to it as a place we would want to live. But if the commute sucks we may have to reconsider, which won't go over well with my wife.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:06 PM

871 posts, read 2,553,768 times
IMHO, the Fort Worth one would be awful too.

At least the Richardson potential job location is right off Bush turnpike. That does help.

Since you would take 35E to Bush Turnpike, if you are looking to make your commute as tolerable as possible from Flower Mound, you would look to see how close you can get to 35E and still be in FM with a house you really like in an area you really like.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:10 PM

146 posts, read 412,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
The addresses of potential location for one employer I am considering are as follows:

1311 W. President George Bush Hwy-Richardson
5800 Granite Parkway-Plano
2301 West Plano Parkway-Plano
2630 West Freeway-Forth Worth

I am not sure which office I would be in, don't have an offer either..This is an employer (united health group) that I used to work for that I have a lot of contacts at. Those are all their office locations, still trying to find out which functions are in each.

The irony here is the FW office is furthest away and I bet you will tell me that would be the best commute. right?

Anyway, no residency address yet, we just really like Flower Mound from what we have seen and heard, kind of locked on to it as a place we would want to live. But if the commute sucks we may have to reconsider, which won't go over well with my wife.

Would not do it. I think that'd be worse than commuting down 75, or its parallel arteries, from northern Collin County. If I worked in FW, I'd DEFINITELY live in FW. From what I've seen, you'd find more affordable housing in Fort Worth and its suburbs. Just my two cents.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Ok, great information here thank you..All you knowledgeable natives, now tell me where I should look for housing. Not interested in living in Richardson. any towns close to Flower Mound status in the North Dallas suburbs?

Also, where do people that live in Flower Mound commute to? If commute to Richardson and FW is bad, I would imagine it is bad to Dallas as well?

Old 07-19-2010, 02:43 PM

885 posts, read 1,455,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Beastly? Mileage-wise doesn't look bad at all. Just wondering how the traffic flows from those two locations.
There are tons of houses and apartments/condos in Richardson and the surrounding area, why don't you buy or rent one from there?

Old 07-19-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
There are tons of houses and apartments/condos in Richardson and the surrounding area, why don't you buy or rent one from there?
Just heard it had some crummy areas, I am open to looking but a community like FM is what we are after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas