Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
I grew up in Houston and I will never move back, yes it's green and parts are very pretty, but I like it here better. (Not to mention the HUMIDITY!!)
I have many friends up here in the Dallas area that all grew up down in Houston. Every single one of them says the same thing. Most of them are thrilled when they get the rest of their family to move up here. I have a small handful of friends thru the years that grew up here in the Dallas area and have moved down to Houston and still live there. One tolerates it as that is where her husbands job was and the kids grew up there and live there now. The others have adapted but that has a lot to do w/ attitude. They are happy wherever they are. Others have moved down there due to jobs and found they didn't like it as much as Dallas and came back.

I know enough about Houston to know that I would not want to live there. Been there enough and go often enough to know that it is NOT for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 09:14 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Central Dallas (and Fort Worth) have great trees! Sure, the burbs are more "native" prairie, but there are parts of DFW that have a nice canopy. Houston's climate is, however, much more suited to tree growth as well as supporting other vegetation. As far as the humidity-it's really brutal this summer! But, I will say that I look much younger than some of my friends that live in drier climates. At least there's a positive side-the humidity helps make one's skin look much better. Frankly, I will generally get nose bleeds and have to constantly apply lip balm during the cooler months when I visit the D.
Some researchers suggest high humidity contributes to clog pours and limits the skin's natural oils from flowing.

America's "Worst-Skin Cities"? Houston, Pittsburgh and Bakersfield, Calif. (http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Americas-Worst-Skin-Cities-Houston-Pittsburgh-and-Bakersfield-Calif-995105.htm - broken link)

Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Some researchers suggest high humidity contributes to clog pours and limits the skin's natural oils from flowing.

America's "Worst-Skin Cities"? Houston, Pittsburgh and Bakersfield, Calif. (http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Americas-Worst-Skin-Cities-Houston-Pittsburgh-and-Bakersfield-Calif-995105.htm - broken link)
Yeah, but I'm a bit past the zit stage! Thanks!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:19 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,464,433 times
I still want to know who counted the trees.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I still want to know who counted the trees.
LOL!!! A really, REALLY, REALLY bored person.
I mean, you didn't hear the helicopter buzzing overhead for a month straight every single day counting the trees.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Dallas sits on a prairie, Houston sits along the Piney Woods. Simple as that.
Wrong again porridge breath!

I guess you must have lived out north somewhere close to Oklahoma on a former cotton farm.

Here is The Great Trinity Forest with the gorgeous Oz-like Dallas skyline setting it off!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:35 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
If you live in Houston, you will find tons of greens, within the city limit and outside the city in some suburbs such as The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Spring, Kingwoods, etc. Lots of trees.

Why isn't it the same with Dallas? All you need is soil and water.
Location... Location... Location...

Houston is at about 50' elevation and is built on mud.
Dallas is at about 525' elevation and is built on BS.... I mean rock. Except the Trinity River basin which is mud that slid off the rock and is on its way to Houston.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:37 PM

443 posts, read 1,566,943 times
Hurst, Bedford, Flower Mound, McKinney, I live in a well treed neighborhood in Frisco(one of the few I admit). Certainly alot of areas in Dallas are well treed as well as Duncanville I actually could go on and on.

Houston can be sporadically treed as well, the north side and the Cypress area have great pine forests, but Sugarland is part prairie zone as are alot of areas around Pasadena and Clear Lake. I do agree there are not the universal areas of forest found in Houston, but we do have plenty of treed areas in DFW.

I had a similiar belief about DFW my entire life until I moved here a decade ago. You just have to do some searching here to find the green neighborhoods but they do exist fairly plentifully.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:53 PM

I live near the Spring Creek Forest Preserve in Garland. I have PLENTY of trees around me. And they were not planted on a former cotton field patch. They have been there for a LONG time and LONG before any developers were building in this area.
Home Page

I also have over 20 trees in my own backyard. I LOVE trees and there are PLENTY of them here in the Dallas metroplex.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Wrong again porridge breath!

I guess you must have lived out north somewhere close to Oklahoma on a former cotton farm.

Here is The Great Trinity Forest with the gorgeous Oz-like Dallas skyline setting it off!
Dallas is part of the Black Land Prairie.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/geo/pics/txphysio.jpg

However, trees are abundant where the prairie has been incized by rivers and streams where sufficient alluvium has been deposited to form good soil profiles, as in your picture. Quoting myself from one of me ESAs.

Quote:
Below the surface soils lie the water-bearing alluvium and bolsum deposits of the Trinity River. The water-bearing sediments forming this aquifer are generally unconsolidated, alternating and discontinuous beds of silt, clay, sand, gravel, and boulders. The total thickness of the Trinity River Alluvium ranges from 15 to over 200 feet, with saturated thicknesses approaching 100 feet. This aquifer supplies some water for irrigation with minor amounts for livestock and mining. Recharge is derived primarily from precipitation on the outcrop, the Trinity River, flooding, and from the temporary riverbank storage pond south of the property. Typically, the groundwater level will remain a few feet above the level of water in the Trinity River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas