Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 9,766 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

Im moving from the Hampton Roads,VA area in the next few months for cheaper cost of living. I am married with 4 children so I would like to live in an area with good schools and nice neighborhood. Thankfully, my husband is able to transfer however, will be seeking employment in the administrative field preferably in higher learning environment as I'm pursuing my degree in academic advisement/student affairs.

Can you provide me some feedback on employment in the area?

What areas would you recommend I should consider moving to? We would like to cap our rental amount @ $1200.00 for first year while we learn area and search for home. I seen great rentals but do not which areas to stray away from.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 05:07 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChngdPlans_VA View Post
Hello Everyone!

I'm moving from the Hampton Roads,VA area in the next few months for cheaper cost of living. I am married with 4 children so I would like to live in an area with good schools and nice neighborhood. Thankfully, my husband is able to transfer however, will be seeking employment in the administrative field preferably in higher learning environment as I'm pursuing my degree in academic advisement/student affairs.

Can you provide me some feedback on employment in the area?

What areas would you recommend I should consider moving to? We would like to cap our rental amount @ $1200.00 for first year while we learn area and search for home. I seen great rentals but do not which areas to stray away from.

Thanks!
Where will he be working and you going to school ? Big factors in an huge area like DFW.

Usually north of Dallas is safer than south of Dallas. There are areas like the Mid-Cities of Hurst, Euless & Bedford where you'll want in one area but not another.

There are about 26 cities in the metroplex which cover an area of about 90 x 90 miles (approx). So knowing where he'll work and your school will help narrow the options.

Edit: rereading your post, I would recommend something between Dallas & Ft Worth in the Mid Cities which include the HEB cities above and Grapvine, N Richland Hills and Keller. That way he can get to Dallas, North Dallas, Las Colinas, Ft Worth and Arlington fairly easy. If you go far north Dallas, You might have trouble getting to Ft Worth or Arlington to find jobs.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:56 PM

My husband's company is located @ two locations on Iron Ridge Street and Pinnacle Point Dr however we are unsure where he is definitely going to placed as this point.

I actually attend school online which doesnt affect my commute.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times
Read over at least 50 threads or so on this subject during the last year. You'll learn a lot.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
hummm...
for Iron RidgeDr (of of Stemmons?) right by Love filed?
Best schools would be Univeristy park in Highland Park ISD. But I doubt you can something in your range it's pretty $$$$
so...the HEB area would be pretty good, there are some neighborhoods in Eualss that attened Grapevine schools. HEB schools are good as well. Carrollton schools are pretty good, pockets in the area not so nice.
North Dallas area that is plano ISD zoned.

There are some really nice neighborhoods in and around that area like Kessler Park and Preston Hollow etc... but I don't know enough about the schools to steer you. Dallas schools are hit and miss some great elementary schools all over but then MS and HS are very spotty.

Pinnacle point (I googled it...south of 30 near Grand Prarie)
Again the HEB area would be a good place to look. YOu also might look south...Duncanville and Cedar Hill (but I know nothing of these areas)

And Again you are very close to Kessler Park.

The good news is (if I googled the locations correct) both job locations are very close to one another, any area you choose for one should also work for the other.

Good luck

Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 AM

66 posts, read 231,940 times
I live in Grapevine on the west side of the airport and I love the area. Main St. is awesome and the communities are pretty friendly. While I have not lived there, the complex that we were recommended by a friend was Wildwood Creek Apartments 820 East Dove Loop Road Grapevine, TX 76051 817-424-4212. Verde Riverwalk is also a really nice place and they are under new management for what that is worth. If you like the upgrades like granite countertops and stuff like that then ask for the floorplan in the estate finish. Let's see...oh yeah. Lincoln Vineyards in Colleyville is good and so is Colonial Village at Grayson Dr. That last one looks kinda different than the others but I can personally tell you that it is better than it looks as I have lived there, the construction is very good and the office staff is among the best I have ever dealt with. Grapevine will allow you to get to pretty much anywhere DFW in 20-30 min tops. You are at the cross of 121, 114, and for Grand Prairie - 360 (which is a crap shoot south of 183).

Good luck and let us know if you need more help!
-BigCanada

Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada View Post
I live in Grapevine on the west side of the airport and I love the area. Main St. is awesome and the communities are pretty friendly. While I have not lived there, the complex that we were recommended by a friend was Wildwood Creek Apartments 820 East Dove Loop Road Grapevine, TX 76051 817-424-4212. Verde Riverwalk is also a really nice place and they are under new management for what that is worth. If you like the upgrades like granite countertops and stuff like that then ask for the floorplan in the estate finish. Let's see...oh yeah. Lincoln Vineyards in Colleyville is good and so is Colonial Village at Grayson Dr. That last one looks kinda different than the others but I can personally tell you that it is better than it looks as I have lived there, the construction is very good and the office staff is among the best I have ever dealt with. Grapevine will allow you to get to pretty much anywhere DFW in 20-30 min tops. You are at the cross of 121, 114, and for Grand Prairie - 360 (which is a crap shoot south of 183).

Good luck and let us know if you need more help!
-BigCanada

Thanks for the information! Coming from an area divided by cities but not nearly as many as Dallas I feel a little overwhelmed. I will contact the management company you listed but I would prefer a single family rental if possible.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the responses thus far everyone!

Another question....How is the job market in the area? I noticed a lot of temp agencies via careerbuilder but would prefer permanent employment. While I do have savings and am fortunate by husband is transferring with his employer I hope to find something rapidly.

Is the job market very competitive?

Also not previously noted, I have substitute teaching experience if that is available.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:25 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
sub teaching in the area is plentiful.
Most districts will have thier first training day in early Aug for all subs new in the district.
Alot will also offer one in Sept and maybe Oct.
As soon as you find a place to live I would fill out an online application to get the ball rolling.

It's pretty easy to sub in more than one district since the towns overlap etc...

Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 AM

9 posts, read 44,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChngdPlans_VA View Post
Thanks for the responses thus far everyone!

Another question....How is the job market in the area? I noticed a lot of temp agencies via careerbuilder but would prefer permanent employment. While I do have savings and am fortunate by husband is transferring with his employer I hope to find something rapidly.

Is the job market very competitive?

Also not previously noted, I have substitute teaching experience if that is available.

We relocated to the DFW metroplex two years ago. We moved to South Grand Prairie/Mansfield. Mansfield ISD is a great school district and would be a great place to live if your husband goes to the Pinnacle location. We love the community here. It takes me 40 minutes to get to work in the Highland Park area of Dallas (just north of downtown). There are a TON of home rentals in the area (I have 3 just on my street). As far as the job market is concerned, when I moved here it took me 5 weeks to get a job. How that's compared to the rest of the country, I'm not sure (and mind you this was in 2008). I do know a couple of friends who are teachers in the city of Dallas and it did not take them long to get those positions right out of college so I would imagine you wouldn't have an awful hard time finding something if you are looking to substitute teach, although I don't know very much about it. There are a LOT of administrative jobs in the area but in my experience many of them in Arlington require you to be bilingual. Don't count out temp agencies. I got my job starting out as a temp. I went through Delta Dallas and had a great experience with them. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas