Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 AM
SBP SBP started this thread

1 posts, read 3,101 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new to Texas & new to home with Pool. I was shopping around for Pool school & see every one give pool school right from my pool cleaning boy to pool inspector.
Does anyone have recommendation on good pool instructor?
how much he charges?
what better things you find with his service over other?

thanks in advance.
SBP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 02:37 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
google swim lessons dallas and you will find a ton of instructors. Find one near you and check them at the Better Business Bureau.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:53 PM

48 posts, read 172,012 times
We recently bought a house with a pool and didn't know how to do anything but turn the pumps on and off. All that equipment out there was pretty intimidating! The previous owner's pool service offered us "Pool School" .. one hour for $85.00. I guess this is what your are considering? We would have taken a Pool School had we not found illustrated instructions on how to operate the pool (and the pool vac; and brochures from the manufacturers of the filter and heater) in the house. It was all pretty straight forward. Then we got a good pool testing kit and the necessary chemicals .. no problem at all. But without this find .. we would definitely have spent the $85.00 on instructions.
Operating/maintaining a pool is really not very complicated. I believe any pool guy familiar with your pool/equipment will do a good job showing you. Take lots of notes, even photos, while he's moving the valves around.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 PM

48 posts, read 172,012 times
Default correction ...

of course, there's no moving around of valves ...
What I meant to say was "when he opens and closes valves" ...
I've been in the pool too long today !

Old 07-24-2010, 11:47 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
the people who install pools usually do a pool school when it is installed--
not every pool uses the same configuration of pump/sweeps/filters
but a good pool service person or store where you buy pool chemicals should be able to help you

check the Better Business Bureau for pool stores or pool service company--
and call some of the top rated ones in your area for a price
you are going to buy supplies from someone--
so this might be the way to start a relationship

there are helpful instructions on the Internet and book stores and pool stores have how-to books on the subject
I just think the first time it is better to have someone pointing out specific features and showing you how to do some things rather than trying to find out on your own
it is not as complicated as making a chocolate mousse really but there are things you can break if you don't know what you are doing...

Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Oops, I misunderstood the question, sorry.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:26 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
google swim lessons dallas and you will find a ton of instructors. Find one near you and check them at the Better Business Bureau.
The OP is talking about instructions on how to maintain your pool rather than swim lessons. For those that haven't owned a pool, it's a little bit intimidating on what you need to do for maintenance. There are chemicals and such that you need to understand. Kudos to you for trying to help though.

Edit: And oops on my part as well. I didn't see your last post.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:44 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,301 times
We just purchased a house with a pool and had no clue how to care for a pool. We ended up communicating with the previous owners and they told us who installed the pool (which was a local outfit) so we called them and they came out and showed us at no cost. Good thing my husband understood the instructions because I didn't...I told the guy they needed to have a "Pool School for Dummies" book. Paige has a good point, we took a video and photos of the instructions so I can reference them if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: