Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,596 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, my bestfriend and i are moving to Dallas to train with a famous Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructor, but we have no family in the area. We grew up in any kind of neighborhood you could possibly think of so we considered Housing Projects to start with until we have enough money to move to Irving, TX. Any tips for somebody new to the area? any places for us to look for jobs? Public transportation, Homeless shelters (you never know), places of interest (especially for aspiring MMA fighters), and especially cheap living. Anything i should apply for/pick up as soon as i get there?

We do not look or act like typical teenagers so i dont want no one trying to scare me with "race related" issues. i am hispanic, my best friend is black and we lived in white, black, spanish, and asian neighborhoods. thanks for any advice in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
there is relatively little public transportation outside Dallas immediate area
the DART is making some rail runs into Las Colinas--high $$$ part of north Irving--and Plano--but not into central/southern Irving...
housing projects are funded by the city/county with Section 8 grant money--
from what I read there are no new openings for those apts--the list is long...
social services and charities are stretched thin because despite what many news/media articles present--Texas and the DFW area have plenty of people struggling to survive...the outreach groups have their contributions dropping and their shelves going spare...
so I don't know how much sympathy you will get with your situation if you are not willing to work...

check out the Texas Workforce Commission site--state jobs agency--
there are also temp agencies and places where guys get picked up for day labor jobs

there are homeless shelters...
my question is how are you going to pay for your training if you have no work--much less money to spend on your other living expenses...

Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,703,066 times
Irving gets great bus service and also rail service is available in south Irving on the TRE line. Maybe you could try craigslist.com for housing attempts. There is reduced housing in West Dallas, but as previous poster said its very hard to get. Maybe your training resource has some housing ideas.......

Old 08-01-2010, 08:46 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,479,615 times
Here's a link to the Dallas Homeless Shelter:
: Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance :: The Bridge : (http://www.mdhadallas.org/the_bridge.aspx - broken link)

Housing Projects? The waiting list is years long.

Here's a link to the public transportation system called DART. It does not cover the entire area.
DART.org - Dallas Area Rapid Transit

Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,703,066 times
Here ya go........$350 a month each includes utilities, furnished, even internet provided......on the bus line..... who could ask for more???

Save your room Today (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/roo/1873987545.html - broken link)

Old 08-01-2010, 09:35 AM

885 posts, read 1,554,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Here ya go........$350 a month each includes utilities, furnished, even internet provided......on the bus line..... who could ask for more???

Save your room Today (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/roo/1873987545.html - broken link)

I am sure they will charge more for two occupants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas