Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:08 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAH View Post
What is Richardson like, East of the 75? My husband's work is in Carrollton but on the map looks closer to Addison.
I like Richardson, although I live in Dallas. It's a very diverse area with a lot of different cultures represented, which I like. There are great areas in Richardson on both sides of 75, but it gets a little run down if you go further east. Keep in mind that the school districts here don't line up with the city limits. Most of northeast Dallas is actually in Richardson ISD, and the portion of Richardson in Collin County is actually in Plano ISD--it gets confusing so be sure to check what district the home is in if you're looking in Dallas. You can check school accountability ratings here:

2009 Accountability Rating System

If your spouse's work is closer to Addison, then he's in southern Carrollton, so a commute from any of the areas I've told you about wouldn't be too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAH View Post
Curious now, would people give me weird looks for having an Obama sticker in Richardson or Coppell? Both seem easy access to husbands work w/good schools. Not that we have that sticker on our car, we just don't want to feel like the odd balls of the neighborhood for our left of center views.
You won't get strange looks anywhere in Dallas/Fort Worth even if you did have an Obama sticker on your car. I probably see 10 Obama stickers for every McCain sticker. Even in heavily Republican suburbs people probably wouldn't think twice about it. Dallas County is pretty heavily Democratic these days, and even Collin and Tarrant Counties have a lot of Democrats living there (even if they are outnumbered). You will likely fit right in in any of the places you're considering. We're often stereotyped as a hotbed of religious conservatism, but I think you'll find that to be pretty far from the truth in Dallas.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM

126 posts, read 344,212 times
Many thanks for all the tips TurtleCreek80 and Sandstorm 214! You guys have been great, thank you so much for all you time educating me! I feel really good about our scouting trip now that I have some great options for research and driving around to to look. Overall it sounds like DWF would be a positive move for our family.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 AM

96 posts, read 203,875 times
Have you consider Plano which is just next door to Carrollton? I moved from CA 3 years ago and have chosen Plano because of the great schools. My commute to Farmer's Branch which is next to Addison takes me 30 minutes for work. Most of my colleagues live in west Plano (75093) which takes about 20 minutes. Your husband's job location would probably take about a 15 minutes commute. Around Preston and Park there is a Whole food and Market Street (too bad Newflower closed down recently, I missed that place for the fresh produce). There is also a Sprouts at Legacy and Coit.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
There are great areas in Richardson on both sides of 75, but it gets a little run down if you go further east.
I would not call the Spring Park area, Sherrill Park, Breckinridge Park or other parts on the far east side of Richardson "run down". In fact, these are the newest areas of Richardson with large homes on larger than normal lots w/ mature trees. Lots of great parks and trails, etc to the far east side of Richardson. Even to the southeast side around Apollo MS or Berkner HS to be "run down" at all. The houses might be older but the neighborhoods are very well kept, lots of families w/ kids, parks nearby, a brand new rec center at Huffhines Park, etc. The description "run down" does not fit at all for the east part of Richardson.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I would not call the Spring Park area, Sherrill Park, Breckinridge Park or other parts on the far east side of Richardson "run down". In fact, these are the newest areas of Richardson with large homes on larger than normal lots w/ mature trees. Lots of great parks and trails, etc to the far east side of Richardson. Even to the southeast side around Apollo MS or Berkner HS to be "run down" at all. The houses might be older but the neighborhoods are very well kept, lots of families w/ kids, parks nearby, a brand new rec center at Huffhines Park, etc. The description "run down" does not fit at all for the east part of Richardson.
I should have been a little clearer as "east" is not very descriptive and there are many nice areas in east Richardson. The areas to which you refer are generally further north, and that's not where I was talking about. There are certainly well kept neighborhoods in the southeast side, but there are some which are certainly not. I realize that some of them might be in Garland technically, since I don't always remember where the city limits end, but the southeast side definitelty has some areas that could use some work. I drive through the area on a weekly basis.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I should have been a little clearer as "east" is not very descriptive and there are many nice areas in east Richardson. The areas to which you refer are generally further north, and that's not where I was talking about. There are certainly well kept neighborhoods in the southeast side, but there are some which are certainly not. I realize that some of them might be in Garland technically, since I don't always remember where the city limits end, but the southeast side definitelty has some areas that could use some work. I drive through the area on a weekly basis.
I drive thru the area on a daily basis. I have a business in the city of Garland, live in Garland, have friends all over Garland and Richardson. I know exactly where the city limits are for each of the cities.

Most of the neighborhoods that are in the city limits of Richardson on the southeast side are very nice and well maintained. There are some newer areas as well and some that are older. Going along Buckingham/Spring Valley there are some new homes and some older homes and all very nice. Most are custom homes.

For the OP, do not totally scratch off the east side of Richardson or even Garland. Both are very nice areas to live in that are family friendly, east access to the rest of the metroplex, great schools, lots of parks, etc.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I drive thru the area on a daily basis. I have a business in the city of Garland, live in Garland, have friends all over Garland and Richardson. I know exactly where the city limits are for each of the cities.

Most of the neighborhoods that are in the city limits of Richardson on the southeast side are very nice and well maintained. There are some newer areas as well and some that are older. Going along Buckingham/Spring Valley there are some new homes and some older homes and all very nice. Most are custom homes.

For the OP, do not totally scratch off the east side of Richardson or even Garland. Both are very nice areas to live in that are family friendly, east access to the rest of the metroplex, great schools, lots of parks, etc.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the areas I've seen that I think could use some "sprucing up." I agree with you that OP should not scratch off east Richardson or Garland as a whole either. I think you've interpreted my statement about some areas of those cities as a broad indictment against living in either. That's not what I meant at all--I live in Lake Highlands not far from where these cities all come together and love it. The vast majority of both Richardson and Garland are great.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the areas I've seen that I think could use some "sprucing up." I agree with you that OP should not scratch off east Richardson or Garland as a whole either. I think you've interpreted my statement about some areas of those cities as a broad indictment against living in either. That's not what I meant at all--I live in Lake Highlands not far from where these cities all come together and love it. The vast majority of both Richardson and Garland are great.
It was the broadbrush statement about the east side of Richardson being "run down" that was the issue.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
It was the broadbrush statement about the east side of Richardson being "run down" that was the issue.
And I clarified that I was incorrect. I apologize. Good lord. What else do you want from me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas