Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:57 AM

27 posts, read 69,174 times

Advertisements

OK here's another thread on what area to move to. I've looked through & got some ideas but want some more specific info. Assuming I get the job offer in the next week or two and it looks good, the office would be near Miller rd & Plano rd, right off the LBJ in NE Dallas. I have 7 & 9 year old girls, so want an area with a great school system. My wife would also look for a job once we get settled in, so I don't want to be too far out to likely give her a long commute (probably eliminates Rockwall & Heath, but I don't really know what is out there). We will want a minimum 4 bedrooms, ~3500 sqft & a fairly well appointed house. I expect to spend $350-$500k, but could go a bit north of that if I find the perfect house that wouldn't need any updating & includes 5 bdrms, pool, game room, theater, etc.

I started looking at listings in Plano and Far north Dallas. Looks like there is quite a bit there, but prices seem a bit higher than some other areas and lots are generally small. It would be nice to have a little backyard for the kids & dog, not just a pool. Now I have concentrated more on NE Richardson (near Breckenridge park) and a bit north of that in Murphy. Any comments on those areas? What about the newer subs in Murphy - (Rolling ridge, Hunters landing, Aviary, Windy Hill Farms?). I have assumed that newer areas will have younger kids, thus easier friendships for our girls moving to a new area. Will that area seem really out there, or is there shopping & other amenities near? Any other suggestions on where to look?

Also, am I setting myself up for huge water bills if I find a 0.5-1 acre lot that needs watering (OK, I know they'll be huge, but how huge?) Any estimates on electrical costs in the summer for a 4000 sqft house? We generally keep it in the high 70's in the summer - not like those people that run it down to 72.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Any spot you find from your job location all the way up to Murphy is going to be very family friendly and in a good school district. That will not be a problem at all. For the criteria you have listed you can start right at 190 and go north and find homes in your price range with larger lots with lots of families around w/ kids and close to all amenities. If you do end up in Murphy you will not have far to go at all for anything. Murphy has a new SuperTarget, Lowe's, Sprouts, Albertsons, Walmart Neighborhood Market, etc and a good amount of dining options. Just down the street is the Firewheel area w/ the mall and pleothorea of dining and shopping options as well as a water park.

Electric bill......... ew. Our highest is usually right about now and my husband keeps the thermostats set between 72-76 and the highest our bill gets is about $900 and that is for electric, water, sewer, garbage pickup, etc.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,007 times
if you're looking for a little more yard (need a little larger lot), it might be best to stay in the Murphy, Garland (Firewheel area) and maybe Sachse. At least that's what I've found when I'm showing homes to buyers. There's a larger selection of newer homes in these areas rather than in Plano (where I live) with larger lots. And, since they are relatively newer, you have a better chance of the houses being updated (flooring, countertops, etc). Not sure on the electric bill for that size of house, but I'd guess that momo2dfw is close on her estimate.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:50 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
We have saved a bit on our water bill by having a 2nd meter installed (I think about $500) for the yard and it is not charged the same sewer charges as the house water. Some people with acre + lots do have their own wells.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Oh, our house is 4400 square feet. July's electric bill was $400.87 using TXU 12.9 cents rate (I'm switching to another provider to get 10.5 fixed renewable, hoping for lower bills). I'm home all day so we keep an even temp in the house. We also have an 1100 condo in Dallas that we keep a pretty constant temp. July electric bill is $220.35. Just to give you some ideas of prices......

As mentioned above, there are several choices for electricity providers.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveCollinCounty View Post
if you're looking for a little more yard (need a little larger lot), it might be best to stay in the Murphy, Garland (Firewheel area) and maybe Sachse. At least that's what I've found when I'm showing homes to buyers. There's a larger selection of newer homes in these areas rather than in Plano (where I live) with larger lots. And, since they are relatively newer, you have a better chance of the houses being updated (flooring, countertops, etc). Not sure on the electric bill for that size of house, but I'd guess that momo2dfw is close on her estimate.
Yes, I think there are a lot of advantages to choosing Murphy such as detailed above. You probably can indeed get more house/yard for your money there. Definitely a growing, thriving area. That said, we have friends who live in Murphy and personally, I just prefer being in the Plano area. Just depends on what you are looking for and what's most important to you.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:51 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
7 and 9 year old? Totally tons of kids in those neighborhoods that age. My two BFF's kids are those ages. It's actually funny because I was telling someone not long ago that everyone I know has a kid that is (was) in 3rd grade.

Murphy is absolutely family friendly and have great schools. Boggess and Hunt are both excellent schools as is Murphy MS and they will have the new 9-10 HS open by the time your kids get there. It's a small town so the city doesn't have everything, but it's 5 sq miles so the fact that Target is in Wylie doesn't mean a long trek. It's 5 mins for me and I'm in RR - the furthest point in Murphy from Target. ;-)

Edited to add:

Of course I love Murphy, but I do want to say that the Breckinridge Park area of Richardson you are looking at is also excellent. Great schools there for elementary, a brand new MS opening at the end of the month.

And there's a lot of transplants in this area, so the kids (and the adults) are all used to new folks coming in and are very welcoming.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Electric bill......... ew. Our highest is usually right about now and my husband keeps the thermostats set between 72-76 and the highest our bill gets is about $900 and that is for electric, water, sewer, garbage pickup, etc.
A month? Whoa!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
A month? Whoa!
Yeah, $900 seems really high. I have 2400 sq ft single-story house in Murphy with a large in-ground pool (with a pump that has to run for a good part of the day), and my worse monthly electric bill of the year is $255. My water/sewer/trash is typically $50-$60.

Currently, my house has no south or west side protection from the sun, but I hope to add more trees later this year and that should get the electric bill down further.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
DGZ,

Do you have the solar screens? We do and we absolutely love them. It's just the two of us, so we don't cool the upstairs down quite as much as the down (and has the added bonus that houseguests don't stay so long). But we're probably half your electric bill in a 3600 sf home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas