Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 PM

225 posts, read 518,886 times

Advertisements

I have a good friend and his new bride who are looking for a remodel. (Ideally a 3/2) With that said, I believe when he walks in a few true "remodels" he might change his mind to something....well completely finished out....

They are looking for a pier and beam starter home. They are not as concerned about the school district as they will be moving again before children become school age. I like good schools regardless from a resale stand point.

I'm starting with Midway Hollow, University Terrace, Caruth Terrace, Forest Hills, Fisher Rd., Merriman Park and Prestonwood. Maybe throw Casa Linda into the mix though it is a little too far East.

Am I missing any awesome areas in Central to North Dallas that we can add to the list?

Thanks,

Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 PM

529 posts, read 1,174,429 times
Have you considered Lake Highlands-? It's RISD, family- oriented, has Dart Rail, parks, trees, and you can hit any major freeway in minutes. AND GREAT resale. True Beaver Cleaver in most neighborhoods. Oh yeah...almost forgot...almost all established homes are pier and beam....definitely wanna stay from those new mini-mansions on slabs.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:36 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Midway Hollow is probably my favorite on that list. I'd also add "Ridgewood Park", the area between Lovers Lane and Trammel, east of Abrams. It would be on the higher end of their range, but it's a great first buyer's neighborhood.

Also, Old Lake Highlands area south of Northwest Hwy. Follow Peavy to Lake Highlands Blvd and look up and down the streets there.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Estates West, The Reservation, Spring Creek, Prestonwood East.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
Since you've added Forest Hills - throw in my neighborhood of Casa Linda Forest since it is just over the train tracks. Look on Westglen - there's a small ranch in dire need of a renovation and priced around 149k. And then just down the street, a renovated ranch for 214k...both pier and beam.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
I like Midway Hollow, too

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Have you considered Lake Highlands-? It's RISD, family- oriented, has Dart Rail, parks, trees, and you can hit any major freeway in minutes. AND GREAT resale. True Beaver Cleaver in most neighborhoods. Oh yeah...almost forgot...almost all established homes are pier and beam....definitely wanna stay from those new mini-mansions on slabs.
Repped, this is my first post but I've spent a lot of time reading posts on the site and finally decided to make an account. Anyways, Lake Highlands is worth looking at for all the above reasons. Few other areas in Dallas can compete with LH in terms of value and location. In my experience (I lived there and am slightly biased lol) it has always been very safe and has a friendly vibe as well.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 AM

529 posts, read 1,174,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builtls1 View Post
Repped, this is my first post but I've spent a lot of time reading posts on the site and finally decided to make an account. Anyways, Lake Highlands is worth looking at for all the above reasons. Few other areas in Dallas can compete with LH in terms of value and location. In my experience (I lived there and am slightly biased lol) it has always been very safe and has a friendly vibe as well.
I lived there for 25 years myself, so I am biased as well. Being able to get on the Dart Rail made it easy to head to ACC for a game, hit the TRE if I wanted to spend a day at the Ft. Worth Main St Arts festival, or downtown. We got to listen to concerts at Flag Pole Hill from our backyard and watch the peacocks strut down the street. You would have to really work to lose money on a home in the White Rock Elementary area. It's a great area.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:46 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times
The "L-Streets" area of Lake Highlands sounds like a good option - plus the benefit of good schools so there really is no reason to move once the kids are school age. We have some friends that live there and the homes have some very nice character. We live in Merriman Park North, which might be above the $250K budget, but then again, if you're considering moving when the kids are older - it might be a nice area to move and still be in the same school district.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 AM

225 posts, read 518,886 times
Thank you guys. I realize that this takes time to read through and suggest options so I want to say I appreciate your time. All of these are good suggestions. Lake Highlands is nice and I will be going through a few of the areas suggested above, but I don't like the sq. ftge. price point in comparision to say a Midway Hollow so we shall see!

Thanks,

Ryan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas