Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 PM

213 posts, read 860,768 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I moved to Dallas from Bangalore, India two days back. Currently I am staying in Days Inn Irving Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport North. My work place is at 7850 North Belt Line Road, Irving, TX.

Now I have the following questions to ask:

1. Best place to rent a house or a service apartment? I need it as close to the office as possible as I do not know how to drive. Learning and getting a licence will probably come 3 months down the lane. In the meantime, is there some place that I can get on rent for around 500$ to 700$ with Wi-Fi access. Should have an integrated kitched where I can cook. If I can walk up to my office from there, it would be an added advantage.

2. Best place to buy a SIM card for my phone? I am planning to go down to Best Buy today and see if I can pick up a SIM card. Will be using it mainly to recieve calls and make local calls. International calls will be taken care of with Skype and calling cards. My friend told me that I can get a SIM card by giving a xerox copy of my passport as I do not have a SSN yet. Any suggestions on which company to get my SIM card from?

I have lots of other questions to ask too like places were I can learn to drive etc but as of now, these are the two most important questions that have been bothering me the most.

Any help from you all will be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 12:47 PM

687 posts, read 1,570,553 times
Welcome to Dallas. Looks like Valley Ranch would be your best bet for an apartment. You should be able to find something in your price range there. I don't know if any of the apartments over there have free wi-fi. Everyone I know who lives in apartments is on their own for wi-fi. I'm not sure if it's within walking distance of where you work, but it looks like your closest alternative. I'm not certain about the SIM card.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

How difficult is it get an internet connection if the place you are staying in doesn't already come with one?

As for the SIM card, one of my colleagues has graciously offered to drop me at Best Buy on his way back so I should be getting a phone pretty soon. Maybe pick up a laptop as well if I can get a good deal.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:57 PM

504 posts, read 796,077 times
You can't really get SIM cards as your thinking of other countries. I've seen SIM card veding machines in Europe and Japan. Here in the US you could buy a prepaid cell phone at places like Walmart for as little as $10 and then buy calling cards to add minutes. I recommend Net10, their phones come with 300 minutes to start with.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:04 PM

Can I take out the SIM card from the GSM phone and then use it in my Nokia E63?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 PM

504 posts, read 796,077 times
I highly doubt it. The SIM cards in those prepaid phones are locked to their specific providers.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Ahh, ok. I think T-Mobile offers a pretty cheap phone which has a removable SIM.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:10 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,593,011 times
For many years I was responsible for corporate relocations for a Fortune 500 company. One of my locations was almost exactly near your work address. We rented apartments at these complexes and they are a bit of a long walk but definitely walkable near Belt Line and Royal Lane in Irving. Here's a couple of apartment communities that you could walk to from work. I remember that our employees liked Santa Rosa.

Welcome to Vista at Hackberry Creek

Santa Rosa Apartments: Dallas, TX

I buy a SIM card from TMobile and put it in my unlocked phone. Very good deal.

Unsupported Browser (http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Cell-Phone-Detail.aspx?cell-phone=T-Mobile-SIM-Card - broken link)

Old 08-04-2010, 02:41 PM

@Squirl: Thanks for the link. I did see Santa Rosa on my way back from Best Buy (where I did manage to buy a AT&T handset for 20$). Do you remember what the prices were like?

My biggest concern here is that there is hardly any place for people to walk...no pavements or pavements that end at the most odd of the places. For some one like me, there is no option left but to take a cab. I understand that I am in a minority and every one here drives a car but I never faced this problem when I was in Hannover, Germany.

Anyways, is it illegal to walk on the curb if there is no pavement to walk upon?

Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,593,011 times
You will not be stopped or fined by police for walking where there is no sidewalk unless you are trespassing on private property. I believe Santa Rosa's 770 square foot apartments started about $600 last year and I would be surprised if they have gone up in this economy. Bicycle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: