Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 05:36 PM

9 posts, read 54,043 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple with a 2 yr old son in the process of buying a home in TX. We are looking to buy a house in a good school district, which is very important to us. We short list Coppell area as among the most suitable since its close to our work. But after seeing a some houses in the area, we feel its very old n outdated.

Some of my frnds suggested Castle Hills Community in Lewisville. The house are good with the features we are looking.
I have done my research on the schools near Castle Hills, the elemantary schools seems to be good, but the middle and high schools have mixed reviews....which makes me a little concerned.

I needed some reviews/suggestion from moms living in the area or who have frnds who are in the area, to give me some info on the schools there, n make our first home buying decision earier.
good school is very important to us so plz help us.

Thank you All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 06:06 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
The Castle Hills elementary school is rated exemplary for 2010 and Independence is rated academically acceptable. The 2 middle schools have been rated recognized and Hebron HS has been rated exemplary.

Also, check www.greatschools.net for reviews from parents.

There are 2 residents of Castle Hills that are regular posters in this forum that you may want to ask ufcrules1 and TriumphOfTheSprint.

Coppell has one of the best district around. If you find a house there, I'd stick with it.

Naima

Old 08-08-2010, 01:37 AM

8 posts, read 25,928 times
You have the right to do what you want with your money, but your kids will end up going to Hebron High School. Not bad by any means, but not a top school either. I would recommend Highland Village, or Flower Mound if you have enough money to live in Castle Hills. Marcus and Flower Mound are great schools, and they have awesome middle schools feeding into them as well.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrios View Post
You have the right to do what you want with your money, but your kids will end up going to Hebron High School. Not bad by any means, but not a top school either. I would recommend Highland Village, or Flower Mound if you have enough money to live in Castle Hills. Marcus and Flower Mound are great schools, and they have awesome middle schools feeding into them as well.
I completely agree, but remember one thing, the poster is talking about a 2 year old. By the time he gets to middle and high school who knows. This is for the Op as well, the elementary school is much more important.

As for Coppell, of course, it is an outstanding community for families. But as you have mentioned, some of the homes may not be as updated as newer ones in similar areas and the new homes in Coppell are very pricey. Depending on your housing budget I would suggest you do look into Highland Village and Flower Mound, neither are far from Coppell and both extremely desirable. Other than that, I think Castle Hills is fine, lots of young professional families are moving there.

Nita

Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 14,694 times
We've lived in Castle Hills for 5 years now. My suggestion would be to look at Southlake. We lived the for 5 years too. All the schools there are excellent and the parents are pleased and very involved. You won't experience the same challenges that the parents of Castle Hills are experiencing once their kids reach Middle School thanks to rezoning a couple of years ago. Castle Hills is a great community and it's a shame that they could not retain schools dedicated to the population of its residence. Our son has had items stolen from his athletics locker on almost a weekly basis since the beginning of this school year. On a side note, Prestonwood Christian Academy is excellent and it's 5 minutes from CH.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:59 PM

2 posts, read 14,694 times
By the way. nmnita is right. Who knows what the situation will be once your child is at the middle school and high school age. Find a community that has been successful in not allowing low income housing in their district. Southlake for example doesn't have a single apartment complex in their city limits. They were forced to build some multi-family housing a few years ago, so they approved several Brown Stone/Town Houses right off the town square that start at 350K. They are dedicated to keeping the property values high and the school district great.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:10 PM

28 posts, read 37,368 times
Southlake is far west so no matter how great it is if you work in plano which is east side or downtown dallas the commute would be terrible. 1 hour each way stuck in traffic.
prestonwood academy is private school with $20,000 or more tuition cost. Its a great campus but comes with a price tag.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:06 AM

28 posts, read 37,368 times
Castle hill is very close to the dumpster off Hebron. The smell is worst. People in coppell have been complaining about the smell drifting all the way out here so I dont know if people who live in castle hills notice or if there has been any complaints. School is not top but more like after flowermound.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:37 PM

125 posts, read 191,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonom0327 View Post
Castle hill is very close to the dumpster off Hebron. The smell is worst. People in coppell have been complaining about the smell drifting all the way out here so I dont know if people who live in castle hills notice or if there has been any complaints. School is not top but more like after flowermound.
Wow, troll much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas