Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 18,575 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

I've just accepted a job at SMU and will be moving from NY. I'd like to live near campus. Where should I look? Does anyone have any leads? Thanks so much. I'm unsure where to start. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 06:21 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
Congrats! The area around SMU is called the Park Cities. It has some of the more expensive real estate. There are apartments, condo's and duplex's in the area as well as houses. I'm not sure what the area is called on the east side of 75 but that would be an area to look at as well. Hopefully some locals can chime in and give you more specific info.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Are you wanting to buy a house or looking to rent an apartment/condo/loft for awhile? If you want to buy and depending on your price range the Park Cities are very nice (Highland Park and University Park - each their own incorporated city w/ a shared school district that is not part of the Dallas ISD). There is also Preston Hollow w/ very nice large lots/estates, this is Dallas city limits and Dallas ISD schools but w/ very good schools serving that area. If those are out of your budget ($500K will only get you a small duplex) but still wanting to buy look in Lake Highlands, M Streets, Glenridge Estates, Lakewood and even around Midway/Royal & Midway/Forest & Walnut Hill (an older area of ranch homes on large treed lots that is really starting to pick up in interest to families, never really went down though, many great private schools in this area). These are all in the inner loop inside of 635-LBJ and still convienent to get to SMU and around Dallas.

If your looking to rent an apartment/condo/loft then look around the area just east of 75-Central around Mockingbird at Mockingbird Station. On the west of 75-Central try looking around Knox-Henderson/McKinney Ave as there are several townhomes in that area as well. The old hotel that was at the corner of 75-Central and Mockingbird has been totally redone and is glorious and they have built a new building next to it called the Palmar that has units for rent and I believe for sale also, just opened in the last few months.

Good luck and welcome to the Big D

Old 04-05-2007, 12:30 PM

326 posts, read 961,972 times
The Village apartment community is pretty close, too. Lots of students and young people live there.

http://www.thevillageapts.com

Old 04-05-2007, 01:35 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
See my post on "Renting in Dallas". I am a graduate of SMU, and a lot of people live in the condos and apartments just east of Greenville Avenue off University. Most of the complexes are from the early to mid 1960s but have been well-maintained. Some have been completely redone and some are scheduled to be redeveloped. The foodie palace Central Market is a short walk. And you are close to all the interesting shops and restaurants of Lower Greenville.

You can be at SMU and parked in 5 minutes or you can walk, ride a bike or take the free Mustang Bus Shuttle.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:47 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
I agree with Lakewooder. Those are some really well kept apartments. I'd consider living there if I went to SMU. Also, the Village is a great apartment area (it's comprised of many different complexes with a "Country Club" in the middle of it).

Old 04-05-2007, 03:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Those complexes have apartments which are pretty large, and nearly all have real fireplaces (not the standard cheapies they put in new homes) and hardwood floors in the dens.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 18,866 times
Lakewooder has some some pretty good suggestions. I would also suggest looking into a brand-new building going up right on SMU Blvd. Check out SHELBY - Exclusive Apartment Living It will be aready for August 2009 move-ins so may be perfect timing for you.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 AM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
The information given here has been spot on. OP really needs to give more information on what type things they want to narrow down the search. Does the OP have kids, what age bracket does the OP want to live with. What is the housing budget. There is a wide array of choices and more information is needed from your needs and wants list to narrow your search.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:23 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
This thread is 3 years old ... I'm thinking the OP has found a place by now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas