Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,101 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I am in the process of relocating from TN To TX.. I have several job offers, but really looking at the one in Coppell, TX. I am a single female with no kids, no dogs, etc. I am looking for a GATED Apartment Community to live in. I don't mind the driving, however I want to stay somewhere that is safe and have a nightlife. I heard a newcomer should live between Dallas and Fort Worth, TX. I don't mind driving to work, just don't want a long commute. Can any one advise me on some gated apt communities to check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 11:44 AM

3,832 posts, read 8,780,444 times
Most of the apartment complexes here are gated. And that doesn't mean squat as far as safety. Tenants give codes out, gates are left open, etc.

What you need to be asking is for communities that are well maintained and are considered safe. Don't just assume being gated equals secure.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,405,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Most of the apartment complexes here are gated. And that doesn't mean squat as far as safety. Tenants give codes out, gates are left open, etc.

What you need to be asking is for communities that are well maintained and are considered safe. Don't just assume being gated equals secure.
This is good advice- gates often give a false sense of security. Make sure you're choosing a safe neighborhood/complex. Most cities have a website where you can look up crime statistics.

That being said, Coppell is a safe suburb. Crime still exisits everywhere bit your chances of being a victim of violent crime are practically nil in Coppell. Now, leave your iPod in full sight in your car or your front door unlocked and you may have a problem.

I have no idea why someone would have told you that it's best for newcomers to live between Dallas and Ft Worth. That is weird advice unless you will be going to the airport frequently. You can either live near your office to minimize commute time or you can explore our many neighborhoods and suburbs to find the place that suits you best.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,101 times
Default more info

@ MurphyPl1 -- thanks for the insight on "safety" -- I know that often times people chose gated to automatically means secuirty when it the complex it self says different
@ TurtleCreek80 -- Thank you as well! I am not sure why I have been told several times that Dallas is huge and to live in one of the many "suburbs" of Dallas / Ft. Worth area. Like I stated earlier, I have never been there and need to know some areas to look in.

Do either of you know some names of some gated communities and or areas to look at?

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:37 PM

14,860 posts, read 42,992,982 times
As Murphy said, just because an apartment complex is gated does NOT mean it is secure. Be VERY careful if you are taking a job in Coppell and want to live close by and the apartments in Valley Ranch pop up. Many of those are Section 8 and many of them are gated. Avoid at all costs ANY apartment complex that accepts Section 8 and not only that I would not live in an apartment complex next to one that does. There are plenty in Valley Ranch and Las Colinas that do not take Section 8 and would be nice and safe for a young single female.

If you want to live closer to more young single professionals then you should consider Dallas. Whoever told you to look only in the suburbs of Dallas and Ft. Worth is not familiar w/ the area at all. The areas in Dallas of Uptown, The Village, etc are full of young singles with great jobs that want to be near the nightlife and in a nice area. Not all of the complexes are gated and they are still very safe. If the Uptown area is of interest to you then just do a search on this forum for "Uptown" and plenty of threads will pop up and many do mention apartment complexes to look at.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:40 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,646,296 times
We lived in a gated community in Coppell. It was either St. Marin or Karrington. (there are 2 complexes right next to each other). Address is 1721 Beltline Road. It was quiet and safe for us several years ago.

Like someone else said, Coppell is pretty safe and you probably won't have a lot of worries. There are a lot of apartments on MacArthur just south of Coppell. My sister lived there years ago, but I dont know anything about them.

Good luck and welcome to Texas!

Old 08-09-2010, 03:25 PM

37,336 posts, read 60,105,612 times
I think some people think that Dallas is all ghetto and inner city and that is why people who don't know JACK about Dallas say things like that
there are plenty of areas inside Dallas where a single woman is as safe as any suburb...

partly it is your actions that dictate your safety--
there are actions that as a single woman you are safer not doing ANY place--not just Dallas
something like driving alone late at night is a risk factor--whether you are in the county or in the city

check out a crime map for the Dallas/FTW/area that shows neighboring towns--and see what the stats are for locations
some areas of Dallas itself are as safe as Coppell probably...
but can't guarantee that the safest areas WOULD have apts, per se

Old 08-09-2010, 04:55 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,280,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecokezero View Post
Hello All! I am in the process of relocating from TN To TX.. I have several job offers, but really looking at the one in Coppell, TX. I am a single female with no kids, no dogs, etc. I am looking for a GATED Apartment Community to live in. I don't mind the driving, however I want to stay somewhere that is safe and have a nightlife. I heard a newcomer should live between Dallas and Fort Worth, TX. I don't mind driving to work, just don't want a long commute. Can any one advise me on some gated apt communities to check out?
First -- stop listening to whomever told you to live in between Dallas and Fort Worth. A sure way to hate Dallas is to live right in the middle of Dallas and Fort Worth -- the only places to eat are Chilis and Bennigans. I'd have a horrible impression of this place if I thought that was all there was. Plus, I'm not sure its any safer. In fact, there are areas in between Dallas and Fort Worth that are certainly less safe than neighborhoods in the City of Dallas.

Uptown, Knox-Henderson and The Villiage are the neighborhoods in Dallas where all the young singles live and play. Many apartments and condos have gated parking garages. They are safe as -- or even safer -- than many places in between Dallas and Fort Worth. And they certainly have more nightlife.

But it's true -- don't let a gate give you a false sense of security or insecurity. There are some really horrible apartments that are gated. I'd find an apartment locator. They were very helpful for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: