Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which mall will close first?
Valley View 33 89.19%
Collin Creek 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,187 times

Advertisements

I don't think Watters Creek has been THAT much at a threat to Collin Creek...since it only has a handful of the 'typical' mall-type stores (the rest is restaurants and more boutique-y, upscale, or specialty shops). But the new Village of Allen/Fairview (which is much like Firewheel in feel, size, and store-type) may very well put an end to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
The Galleria is the reason why Valley View Center is dying. Why would they build the Galleria so close to Valley View.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:39 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
I don't think Watters Creek has been THAT much at a threat to Collin Creek...since it only has a handful of the 'typical' mall-type stores (the rest is restaurants and more boutique-y, upscale, or specialty shops). But the new Village of Allen/Fairview (which is much like Firewheel in feel, size, and store-type) may very well put an end to it.
From the posters description I thought she just had the names mixed up and meant The Villages

Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
I hope Valley View.. I really dislike that mall....

Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM

912 posts, read 1,887,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
I really thought Valley View would die first, it has already lost two anchors and there is more low income housing nearby compared to Collin Creek. Collin Creek managed to survive Stonebriar and Willow Bend, both of which are now a decade old. Firewheel dealt a good blow, and Mervyns left but Collin Creek managed to chug along. Now Watters Creek has opened just a few exits up 75 and I just don't see Collin Creek making it much longer. There have been fewer and fewer national chain in CC with each visit. Some of the stores have already relocated to WC, and word is that one of the anchors will be relocating as well.
Because it is located along the Preston Corridor and along LBJ freeway, Valley View shouldn't be thought of as a mall but as part of a larger shopping district. While the mall may have to be revisioned or even replaced outright, the area around it will be prime for a long time. Think about it this way. Valley View going under would cause the Galleria to suffer; likewise, the Galleria going under would cause Addison to suffer. I don't see this happening.
As the economy returns, more people from the surrounding states will be commuting to the Dallas - Fort Worth area to shop. This will help both Valley View and Collin Creek.
In comparison, Collin Creek is more of a flagship mall kind of thing the way it serves as an anchor for lots of other nearby department stores and smaller outlets.
During the Superbowl, the Dallas area should market itself primarily as a shopping destination. During such events that draw national and world attention, it should market its commercial shopping centers and districts such as Highland Park Village, Preston Center, Northpark, and the Galleria.
It really shouldn't market such things as the bridge and other things that will distract attention away from the areas heart and soul.
The bling bling will flaunt itself.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:13 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
I don't see those malls (VV and CC) as flagships at all. They're not like the Galleria or NorthPark, which are destination malls that draw from across the Metroplex. Instead, they draw most of their customers from the immediate area.

Yes, Collin Creek is having its base eaten away from all directions by the new malls. But the neighborhood around Collin Creek is still middle-class and viable. Valley View, OTOH, has a lot of near-slums in the vicinity. That brings down the mall AND encourages those slightly further away to find another shopping destination.

I wouldn't count on that area being "prime for a long time". Look what happened to Prestonwood Mall.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:31 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
My son and I regularly count the empty stores at CC. Last count was above 10. even McDonald's closed up. On a weekday one often wonders how that mall stays open at all. Walking through JCP on a weekday there is regularly more employees than customers. That all said, CC is quite busy on weekends and I think the hot weather season makes it also someplace to go for those of us who don't 100F+ and sunburn.

That all said I voted VV as more likely to go. The past couple times I ventured into there I was just wondering when the thug kids running wild there were going to pull out the hardware and start shooting. The clientele at CC is a lot more refined. Nice families. I may never go the VV again.

I go to CC regularly - 95% of the time it's my mall of choice. So it's not as fancy as SB or WB - it's nearby, and a mall is a mall is a mall. It sells what I want to buy and I'm not gonna fight traffic for a half hour to see the funky sign on SB. Plus I think if you shop at the same stores all the time you reduce the labor time looking for stores/items you need because you already know where they keep things. In the two years I have been here I have done 99% of my grocery shopping at my local Tom Thumb and having done so I can get everything I need and get in and out in just a few minutes cuz I know exactly where everything is. Less time driving and shopping is well worth any small change I may save traveling farther.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
According to a relative that works for a local city and was in a meeting w/ Plano planning dept....... they have a plan for something different for the site in the next 5-10 years where Collin Creek currently sits. I could see them doing something along the lines of what happened w/ Richardson Square. Only large anchor stores stay and everything closes and it gets torn down. Leave Amazing Jake's and it would be freestanding. Maybe Sears would stay and be a freestanding store as well. Tear everything else down. Build a new SuperTarget on that site and close the regular Target down that is just up the road. It would make it a lot more viable. Right now, there is nothing there that I need. What does tick me off is that the Dillard's at CC is larger than the one at Firewheel, WTH?!?!?!

As for Valley View, that area can still be very viable and market itself to the higher end to middle class over what it caters to now. The area is surrounded by great areas when it comes to single family homes and some condos and the office complexes in the area. There are a few on the south side that are older that need some sprucing up. If they tore down the entire mall and maybe Sears stayed as a freestanding store then it also could be developed into more of an outdoor shopping area or large box stores like what has happened at Prestonwood. With the old Don Showman Chevrolet dealership land and the land at Valley View Mall it IS prime for developing. The financing end of things just needs to turn around before a developer would be likely to bit it off and go for it. With the size of the acreage available at VV I'd say a great outdoor shopping, dining area and a movie theater would be prime.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I don't see those malls (VV and CC) as flagships at all. They're not like the Galleria or NorthPark, which are destination malls that draw from across the Metroplex. Instead, they draw most of their customers from the immediate area.

Yes, Collin Creek is having its base eaten away from all directions by the new malls. But the neighborhood around Collin Creek is still middle-class and viable. Valley View, OTOH, has a lot of near-slums in the vicinity. That brings down the mall AND encourages those slightly further away to find another shopping destination.

I wouldn't count on that area being "prime for a long time". Look what happened to Prestonwood Mall.
The Galleria Dallas and the Valley View Center are part of a larger shopping district fueled by their prime locations along Preston and the LBJ. Whenever a mall like Collin Creek is built, it generally becomes an anchor for future development in the way of department stores and other smaller outlets. In comparison, the Galleria and Valley View anchor office developments and a much more significant collection of stores and shops. In contrast, in the city of Houston, the business development will tend to take prominence over the shopping district with the Galleria being the lone exception.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Valley View is most definitely dead.

But, frankly, I'd like them to keep it alive so all the gangbangers go there instead of NorthPark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas