Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:52 PM

28 posts, read 37,625 times

Advertisements

To add to what Andre29 is asking. I can speak from a perspective of Suburban DC. As the populations changed from majority white to when black families moved in most of the white families within 10 years moved out. There is a term for this and it is called White Flight. Look it up. The interesting thing about where I grew up Prince Georges County, MD. When the county became majority black and that was simply because alot of the white families moved out. The Socio-Economic level went up. Meaning the black families were college educated and had better salaries vs. the white families who were majority had no college education were rural and poor. I am not dissing but stating the facts. I welcome anyone to look it up. This was unique because it is always perceived to be the opposite. It's always assumed that when blacks move in everything goes down. I am a product of this not being the case. But look at the news and refer to popular opinion, it is assumed to be the opposite. I think that is unfair. Being here I see and hear the same things. Especially when folks refer to Areas outside of North Dallas. But I am thankful that I have the ability to see below the surface and public opinion and base things on truths and not hearsay. Andre29, I know what you are asking but unfortunately, I don't think you are going to get an honest answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 05:38 PM

885 posts, read 1,552,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingly0577 View Post
When the county became majority black and that was simply because alot of the white families moved out. The Socio-Economic level went up. Meaning the black families were college educated and had better salaries vs. the white families who were majority had no college education were rural and poor. I am not dissing but stating the facts. I welcome anyone to look it up. This was unique because it is always perceived to be the opposite. It's always assumed that when blacks move in everything goes down. I am a product of this not being the case. But look at the news and refer to popular opinion, it is assumed to be the opposite. I think that is unfair. Being here I see and hear the same things. Especially when folks refer to Areas outside of North Dallas. But I am thankful that I have the ability to see below the surface and public opinion and base things on truths and not hearsay. Andre29, I know what you are asking but unfortunately, I don't think you are going to get an honest answer.
Do you think what happened to your neighborhood was the norm or an exception?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,092 times
~

The color most catered to in Dallas is..... green.

And I ain't referring to tree huggers.

~

Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
~

The color most catered to in Dallas is..... green.

And I ain't referring to tree huggers.

~
I'd say that's a pretty good assessment. <--- Ha! Green!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:35 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
[SIZE=6]'Black flight' changing the makeup of Dallas schools[/SIZE]

Black students formed a majority in Dallas schools through the 1980s and '90s. Over the last 10 years, though, the number of black children has fallen by nearly 20,000, or about a third. Meanwhile, Hispanic children have filled their seats as the district's overall enrollment remains fairly flat at about 157,000.
Today, about 41,000 black students attend DISD schools. They make up 26 percent of the district compared with 106,000 Hispanic children, or 68 percent. White students are 5 percent of the district.
The trend seen in Dallas schools is part of a larger national move away from inner cities for many black families, but the plunge is steeper in Dallas ISD than other urban districts in Texas and is among the biggest declines nationally.
Interviews with dozens of parents reveal that the exodus is not fueled by a single reason, but by myriad forces including issues of race, class, perceptions of problems within DISD, an explosion of charter schools and the quest for the American dream in the suburbs.
Adelfa Callejo, a Latina civil rights activist, said it's like history repeating itself.
"They're doing exactly what the whites are doing, abandoning the school district," Callejo said. "That will leave us with a lack of black leadership. You need leaders of all races to make it happen."

The complete article:

'Black flight' changing the makeup of Dallas schools | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 AM

142 posts, read 362,331 times
Well I beg to differ a bit, if you are hispanic outside of the traditionally hispanic areas of Dallas, or the whole of DFW for that matter, people tend to treat you like an "illegal" , they are always assuming you are illegal if you speak with an accent. And because of that whole stupid Arizona law, it's getting worse. People here need to get a grip with reality that every person that is "brown" is not illegal.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:48 AM

509 posts, read 1,262,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrE29 View Post
Yeah I was just trying to hear what people thought about that topic.
I am quite suspicious about your reason for wanting to 'hear what people thought about that topic'. To me it seems like you are trying to incite something yet for the most part you are getting that yes, Dallas is diverse and quite accepting, but it seems to me that you are trying to find just the opposite. I may be wrong in my perception but I do wonder why you are interested in this topic.

And just to give an example, Lagreeneyes03's experience as a Hispanic has been negative lately, yet as a Hispanic myself, I have not encountered such thing.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
^^^Given that Dallas is 44% Hispanic as of 2007 and will probably be well over 50% by 2011, I would imagine it would become a city that will have to cater to the Hispanic community somewhat.

DFW should be one 1/3 Hispanic by 2012. As of 2007 its 28%. The same will probably true for it.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
Well I beg to differ a bit, if you are hispanic outside of the traditionally hispanic areas of Dallas, or the whole of DFW for that matter, people tend to treat you like an "illegal" , they are always assuming you are illegal if you speak with an accent. And because of that whole stupid Arizona law, it's getting worse. People here need to get a grip with reality that every person that is "brown" is not illegal.
I wonder if it's transplants from places where there traditionally haven't been a lot of "brown" people who assume this, because I have seen that too, but not from people I know who are from Texas and used to seeing Latinos.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:43 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I wonder if it's transplants from places where there traditionally haven't been a lot of "brown" people who assume this, because I have seen that too, but not from people I know who are from Texas and used to seeing Latinos.
You nailed it. Us native Texans have grown up with and proud of our heritage which has been greatly influenced by the Hispanic community which has very deep roots. Many of our cities have Hispanic names and we elect politicians yearly with Hispanic names.

I grew with, have many friends and my sister married a great guy from Mexico. It's not us natives but many imports from the north.

I go see my son in New England and this are the whitest towns in the US. In reality TX is probably one of the most accepting and culturally diversified states in the US.

We don't like the problems that illegal immigration causes. The law is the law, they should enforce it.

Go Arizona, your problems are our problems and it costs us Billiions a year in taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas