Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:14 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
That actually not accurate. What you mean to say is that Little Rock is more black than Dallas per capita. Little Rock is a whole lot more white than Dallas. Little Rock is 48% white, Dallas is 28% white.

Metro area wise, Little Rock is 71% white, Dallas/Fort Worth is 52% white. The Dallas side of the Metroplex (Dallas, Collin, and Denton coutnies) is only 46% White.
you're right. i guess when someone talks about how "white" a place is, i usually view that in relation to the black population (out of habit, i guess). seeing as little rock is blacker than dfw, i incorrectly assumed it was also less white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
you're right. i guess when someone talks about how "white" a place is, i usually view that in relation to the black population (out of habit, i guess). seeing as little rock is blacker than dfw, i incorrectly assumed it was also less white
No worries.

Little Rock may be a bit more black than Dallas, but Dallas (and DFW) is a whole hell of a lot more Hispanic and Asian. Thats where the differences come in.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:29 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Given the fact that the Metroplex...
  • sits on the western edge of the South
  • sits on the eastern edge of the Southwest
  • is located in relative proximity to the US-Mexico border
  • is the 4th largest MSA in the nation
  • and arguably has one of the best job markets in the country which attracts migrants from all over the US and immigrants from all over the world

shows that it is clearly a place that fosters diversity. There is absolutely something for everyone.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,118 times
Quote:

As for the sanctuary city thing, I dont believe authorities should be able to interrogate people on their interrogation status for the hell of it. I am more liberal when it comes to immigrants rights because my family is from the Middle East and had to put up with all the harassment that the LA and Houston area authorities could throw at them when they first came 40-50 years ago. Im all for making it easier for new residents to fit in and find where they belong.
I'm assumming that (a) Your parents became legal citizens, (b) they assimilated into American culture, and (c) they learned to speak English. Because what you are speaking of has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:54 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
African-Americans are welcome all over Dallas. I can introduce you to many people who live in Plano, Frisco, and North Dallas who are black and love it. They certainly dont feel unwelcome.

Dallas (like LA, Boston, Birmingham, and Detroit) has a history of racial tension. No argument there. But places do get better. Dallas is improving fast. Its not going to be the same place in 10 years that it is now. Its not the same place it was 10 years ago.

As for the sanctuary city thing, I dont believe authorities should be able to interrogate people on their interrogation status for the hell of it. I am more liberal when it comes to immigrants rights because my family is from the Middle East and had to put up with all the harassment that the LA and Houston area authorities could throw at them when they first came 40-50 years ago. Im all for making it easier for new residents to fit in and find where they belong.
I dont believe people should be granted citizenship coming over here illegally. Why are the blacks fleeing California in such astonishing numbers? Why are the blacks in Dallas fleeing for the suburbs. There is nothing natural about the huge hispanic boom in DFW. You can preach all day about how this is good for DFW. Its nothing good about the city of Dallas in the future not having a significant white or black community. Black Texans are very aware of the real reason black americans are fleeing California. Now the white community is being affected and only now does it become a problem because hispanics will soon outnumber them in the future. Its a little too late my friend the seeds have already been planted.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 08-17-2010 at 10:10 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 10:12 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I dont believe people should be granted citizenship coming over here illegally. Why are the blacks fleeing California in such astonishing numbers? Why are the blacks in Dallas fleeing for the suburbs. There is nothing natural about the huge hispanic boom in DFW. You can preach all day about how this is good for DFW. Its nothing good about the city of Dallas in the future not having a significant white or black community. Black Texans are very aware of the real reason black americans are fleeing California. Now the white community is being affected and only now does it become a problem because hispanics will soon outnumber them in the future. Its a little too late my friend.

So we're just as bad as the white flighters.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times
I just love to cater to people. Can I get you a coke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrE29 View Post
I see a lot of people on this site writing that Dallas is a mutli cultural city. Yes we do have a lot of cultures here, but does Dallas do a good job at recognizing these cultures?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
So we're just as bad as the white flighters.
Nope...It all comes down to our sorry goverment not enforcing laws...

Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Nope...It all comes down to our sorry goverment not enforcing laws...
Think back to the time of white flight. I'm sure some felt the same way.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Think back to the time of white flight. I'm sure some felt the same way.
You make valid point but its also worth noting the more established latinos are also fleeing for the burbs. The black flight is in Dallas is in direct response to the DISD. You have a hispanics superintendent that is more interested in helping his own. At one time he tried to force all DISD principals to learn spanish or face termination. I am sure many whites back during Brown vs Board Education had genearl concerns that integrating the schools would limit there child progress because more attention and funding would be shown towards the struggling negro child.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 08-17-2010 at 11:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas